Home Forums Bike Forum Understanding Maxxis tyres

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Understanding Maxxis tyres
  • johnhe

I recently Thought that I might fancy a new tyre. I had minions many years ago and liked them a lot, although I’ve been running Spesh tyres for the past few years. Anyway, I went onto the CRC website and browsed the Maxxis section. Good grief – there are about 20 different variations of Minions alone.

Can anyone please explain in simple terms what DHF, DHR and all that jazz means? In my faulty memory, I thought it was simple a case of choosing single or double ply!

v7fmp
    johnhe

Magic, thanks.

honourablegeorge

DHF/DHR = downhil front/rear, but the rear is a really good front, and they’re not just for Downhill these days. They’re equivalent to the Spesh Butcher

Casing, in order of toughness goes EXO -> EXO+ -> Double Down -> Downhill(Dual Ply)

Compound in order of stickiness is Dual -> 3c MaxxTerra -> 3c MaxxGrip

WT means wider tyres for 30-35mm internal rims, you can get away with a bit narrower

Tyres in my shed in order of dry to wet: Minion SS -> Aggressor -> Dissector -> Minion DHF/DHR2 -> Assegai -> Shorty

You can’t go far wrong with a DHR2 Rear, and a DHF front

fossy

+1 for DHF and a DHRII. Really good predictable tyres 3c Maxx Terra EXO for general trail riding. Some say a little draggy, but not noticed (other than tarmac) but general grip is really good, especially off camber. I’ve run them the past 12 months. Rear starting to wear a little as I’ve been riding loads since lockdown.

binman

The tyres are also slightly different across sizes. A 2.6 DHF is less knobbly than a 2.5WT for some reason.

oikeith

Compound in order of stickiness is Dual -> 3c MaxxTerra -> 3c MaxxGrip

If the tyre isn’t branded as 3c this or that then it is dual ply I have recently found out!

StuE
    Free Member

Originally DHF was downhill freeride and DHR was downhill race not front and rear,not sure if that still applies
    https://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/review-maxxis-minion-dhf-dhr-ii-wide-trail-3c-tyres/

MartynS

I’d posted the other week that I seem to be the only person in the world that thinks maxxis tyres are a bit… well…. crap…

minion 2 DHR 3c exo 2.4 on the back. 3 rides, 4 punctures. 2 right by the bead/rim join. One sidewall split, one tread split.

Got some spesh tyres on order. Had very few problems with them in many years using them on my old bike.

honourablegeorge

StuE

Originally DHF was downhill freeride and DHR was downhill race

The original DHR was “Dowhnhill Really Don’t Want to be Using That”, was a crap tyre.

tomhoward

Originally DHF was downhill freeride and DHR was downhill race

Back in 2008 folk were referring to them as front and rear, it’s only recently (ish) that folk are saying they used to be freeride and race (which seems an odd use of F and R, why not just use totally different names if they were for different disciplines)

It’s def front and rear now, according to maxxis.

nickc

You can’t go far wrong with a DHR2 Rear, and a DHF front

Great post from @honourablegeorge that explains everything you need to know! The DHR2 and DHF combo for pretty much anything. Get the EXO+ Maxterra versions for all round riding and you’ll not regret it, although if you can get hold of them in EXO+ and maxterra the assegai is a good swap for the DHF.

bikesandboots

Recently saw a useful-looking chart in this article – gives range of suitable surfaces for each tyre, and ratings for cornering and rolling resistance.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/The-Complete-2018-Maxxis-Mountain-Bike-Tires-Guide,1928

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Understanding Maxxis tyres’ is closed to new replies.