Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 441 total)
  • UFC Content – Did Aldo Take a Dive?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

jimjam….haha nearly pissed myself…so funny but ‘case closed your honour’ MMA was started to settle BJJ is better than TKD, TKD is better than wester boxing, western boxing is better than Wrestling, Westling is better than Karate etc etc etc truth has turned out to be they all have a place and in order to beat any opponent you new to be able to perform all disappointed to a high level!

wanmankylung did you watch that documentary on Connor? The one where they measured certain attributes at a world sporting facility? He is a unique athlete, in tests performed on sporting elites from all sports he recorded the best ever time on a balance test (formally held by a top surfer)! The speed generated by his hips was faster than any other athlete tested.

His spinning kick in a reaction test was almost a fast as his jab but generated much more power…I’m not saying he is THE most elite kicker in the would but he has great kicking technique that can be applied effectively during unarmed combat at the most elite level on earth…plus he IS the best 145 pound fighter in the world period!

Junkyard
    Free Member

the best UFC fighter would easily beat the best TKD fighter. All the top 10 would do so fairly easily as they would just take them to ground.

TBH the best UFC fighter would beat the best a single style fighter [ some would be much more effective BJJ for example]

Early stuff was style v style then everyone realised you needed a mixture of ability and just one style wont cut it

TKD is amongst the worst as it is “sport” martial arts rather than an actual fighting martial arts
    Please dont be fooled by our resident troll who has only been doing TKD fr afew years unlike his trolling.

nwill1
    Free Member

I have not swallowed anything…any fighter from any background can move into the UFC once they’ve proved to be capable by despatching all comers. Granted Pride and Strikeforce were also great but neither are any longer in existence.

Where would you suggest the best testing ground to decide the best fighter in the world is?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

At one point early on in this thread I had though that onewankybrain was trolling, but that doesn’t appear to be the case…astounding!

MSP

Where would you suggest the best testing ground to decide the best fighter in the world is?

Outside the kebab shop at about 1am on a sunday morning.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

So to clarify….for someone that has zero knowledge of either……whom would win in a fight UFC dude or TKD Olympian?

UFC dude would win MMA fight, TKD dude would win TKD fight.

At one point early on in this thread I had though that onewankybrain was trolling, but that doesn’t appear to be the case…astounding!

People have been banned for less than that. But no – it’s not a troll, it’s just that people fail to pick up on the tiny little point that I’m making.

Great question – it’s definitely not in any sort of ring or octagon.

jimjam
    Free Member

Junkyard

the best UFC fighter would easily beat the best TKD fighter. All the top 10 would do so fairly easily as they would just take them to ground.

No Junkyard. Any woman in the UFC or Invicta would beat the best TKD player.

This “argument” was put beyond any reasonable doubt almost 25 years ago. But it’s amusing to see it play out again. There will always be stalwarts of traditional styles who claim that they are too fast or too deadly for competition, or they have a “street lethal” style that won’t work within the confines of a cage” some will even attract followers who buy into their BS. If they were even semi competent fighters they would seek to challenge themselves (even if it meant toning down their lethal style and maybe not using the dim mak 😆 ).

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

People have been banned for less than that.

Really? It’s a bit of leg-pulling, man up princess.

But no – it’s not a troll, it’s just that people fail to pick up on the tiny little point that I’m making.

Go on then, I’ll bite. What is the tiny point that you’re making?

You started by insinuating that the fight was a fix and that Aldo took a dive, but the slo-mo posted soon after showed that Aldo had taken an incredibly clean, well timed clout to the jaw and went down like a stone.

Then you had a pop at UFC/MMA in general, suggesting that your TKD club mates could ‘ave ’em no worries (I might be paraphrasing here – can’t be arsed to check!).

And in the post above you say “UFC dude would win MMA fight, TKD dude would win TKD fight.” which I don’t think anyone is disputing.

What IS your point?!

DanW
    Free Member

I’m not sure where we are at with all of this but if MMA was all about “brawling” then Don Frye wouldn’t have needed to hang up his star spangled shorts 😆

[video]https://youtu.be/PrwJQhCSLRo[/video]

wanmankylung
    Free Member

The tiny little point that I’m making is that MMA and “superb martial arts” do not go hand in hand. To get “superb” martial arts you need to go into those individual arts to the them done superbly.

russ295
    Free Member

I can see both sides tbh.
    I do karate (more a mix of kickboxing/boxing/tkd/karate). One of the instructors is a 6 times WAKO word champion and there is quite a few European/British champions also. Some students drift into MMA, some into K1, but it’s mostly the ones that want to fight aggressively, not competitively. A young lad I’ve trained with for a good few years has 2 British K1 titles.
    But.. Put them back into club sparring (no takedowns or leg kicks) and they become average. I can out point the K1 fighter but would I **** get in a ring with him!

Horses for courses.

deepreddave
    Free Member

^^^^^DanW
    Thanks as hadn’t seen that. Gotta be the best example of both fighters having the same tactic from the bell!

wrecker
    Free Member

I know a bloke who fought in that PRIDE competition. He’s bonkers, but still very likeable. Effing HUGE when he’s in shape, and is more of a brawler (ex debt collector, bouncer etc) with a bit of technique.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Where is the honour, respect and pride in the art with respect to that PRIDE video? That’s just GBH with a licence.

BruceWee

So anyway, BruceWee Jr is two years old and his wee sister is due early next year so I think it’s important that I have their martial arts careers mapped out as soon as possible.

I’m thinking they should start out with either Judo or Jiu Jitsu (Brazilian or otherwise) as soon as possible so they can get their throws and groundwork out of the way early. Then I’ll introduce them to karate round about the age of twelve so that they can get some speed and precision in their striking.

When they hit 18 and their brain development is all finished I’ll throw them into a muay thai ring so that they can used to getting hit in the head and add some power to their striking.

At the moment he’s more of a biter than a striker but if everything goes according to plan he should be UFC champion by 2034.

nealglover
    Free Member

I though this was the point you were making ?

(You even said it was)

The point that was originally made was that there are very few people in UFC who are superb at martial arts. They are mainly brawlers who would come undone very quickly if put up against someone who was focussed on a particular art.

So you were saying that being focused on a single art would make a better fighter that would quickly unstick most UFC guys/girls ?

You seem to have backed off that now.

Now your saying that UFC fighters will win at MMA fights, and horse riders will win at Three Day Eventing 🙄

DanW
    Free Member

I know a bloke who fought in that PRIDE competition. He’s bonkers, but still very likeable. Effing HUGE when he’s in shape, and is more of a brawler (ex debt collector, bouncer etc) with a bit of technique.

Not James Thompson by any chance Wrecker (guessing by the description and Brizzle connection). Seems like a heck of a funny guy who isn’t afraid to completely take the p1ss out of himself too!

ctk
    Free Member

Q. Did Aldo take a dive?

A. No

Q. Did he royally fudge up

A. Yes

yunki
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

UFC dude would win MMA fight, TKD dude would win TKD fight

As TKD has less moves than MMA so they need to limit the opponents fighting in order to win a TKD person can do all their moves in an MMA fight whilst losing.
    Despite you now accepting this its still the superior fighting technique…sorry it looks prettier whilst you are getting the shit kicked out of you.

As noted this debate was decided decades ago when experts in one art kept getting battered – BJJ aside.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I though this was the point you were making ?

(You even said it was)

The point that was originally made was that there are very few people in UFC who are superb at martial arts. They are mainly brawlers who would come undone very quickly if put up against someone who was focussed on a particular art.
    So you were saying that being focused on a single art would make a better fighter that would quickly unstick most UFC guys/girls ?

You seem to have backed off that now.

Now your saying that UFC fighters will win at MMA fights, and horse riders will win at Three Day Eventing

Yeah reading it back I missed out the context in which the UFC brawlers would come unstuck very quickly. Hey ho such is life.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Obvious troll is obvious etc

wanmankylung
    Free Member

As TKD has less moves than MMA so they need to limit the opponents fighting in order to win a TKD person can do all their moves in an MMA fight whilst losing.

Technically there’s nothing in MMA that is not in the art of TKD. The competitive form if TKD and the art of TKD are radically different. If you look back through the thread you’ll see that I mentioned that a lot earlier.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Obvious troll is obvious etc

Yip you’re right there.

BruceWee

There’s grappling in TKD?

wrecker
    Free Member

Not James Thompson by any chance Wrecker (guessing by the description and Brizzle connection). Seems like a heck of a funny guy who isn’t afraid to completely take the p1ss out of himself too!

That’s the chap. Used the same S&C coach for a while. Never a dull moment when he’s around. I enjoy his writing too, hell of a character.

nealglover
    Free Member

Yeah reading it back I missed out the context in which the UFC brawlers would come unstuck very quickly

Other sports that they don’t train for ?

nwill1
    Free Member

Just going to throw a couple of names out there to contradict your “very few people in UFC are superb at martial arts” comment…

nwill1
    Free Member

Demian Maia

Main Achievements (BJJ/Grappling):

ADCC Champion (2007);
    World Champion (2000 – Purple Belt);
    ADCC Silver Medallist (2005);
    3x Brazilian World Cup Champion (2002, 2003 Open Weight, 2005 – CBJJO)

nwill1
    Free Member

Ronda Rousey

Main Achievements (Judo)

Olympic Bronze
    World Champs Silver
    Continental Champs 3 Golds 1Silver 1 Bronze
    International Tournaments 16 Golds etc etc

nwill1
    Free Member

Alistair Overeem & Mark Hunt

Both K1 Grand Prix Champions

nwill1
    Free Member

Sage Northcutt

Sage has won a total of 77 world championships in karate. At the age of 9, Northcutt became the youngest person ever to be on the cover of Sport Karate Magazine. He is also an undefeated kickboxer, with his record standing at 15–0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aTjLgzff3U 17 Oct 2011

Is this not superb martial arts and his kicking all kinds of ass in the UFC

BoardinBob

Wanmankylung

Pop along to the griphouse on a Friday night. That’s sparring night. Or along to Higher Level in Whitburn on a Sunday for the “super sunday” sparring session. A few UFC fighters there to test your theory out on. Let me know in advance so I can make sure I’m there (not a threat, I want to get in on the comedy)

nwill1
    Free Member

Lyoto Machida

Say no more…

He did a Karate kid on Randy…

nwill1
    Free Member

Ronaldo Souza

Grappling credentials Edit
    ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship:
    ADCC 2011 Superfight Runner-up (against Braulio Estima)
    ADCC 2009 Superfight Champion (against Robert Drysdale)
    ADCC 2005 77 – 87 kg: 1st Place
    ADCC 2005 Openweight: 2nd Place
    ADCC 2003 77 – 87 kg: 2nd Place
    ADCC 2003 Brazilian Qualifiers 77 – 87 kg: 1st Place
    CBJJ World Championships:
    2005 Black Belt Medium Heavy: 1st Place
    2005 Black Belt Open Weight: 1st Place
    2004 Black Belt Medium Heavy: 2nd Place
    2004 Black Belt Open Weight: 1st Place
    2003 Brown Belt Medium Heavy: 1st Place
    2003 Brown Belt Open Weight: 1st Place
    2002 Brown Belt Medium Heavy: 1st Place
    2002 Brown Belt Open Weight: 2nd Place
    2001 Purple Belt Middle: 1st Place
    2001 Purple Belt Open Weight: 1st Place
    CBJJ Pan American Championships:
    2004 Black Belt Medium Heavy: 1st Place
    2004 Black Belt Open Weight: 1st Place
    CBJJ European Championships:
    2005 Black Belt Medium Heavy: 1st Place
    2005 Black Belt Open Weight: 2nd Place
    CBJJ Brazilian Championships:
    2004 Brown Belt Medium Heavy: 1st Place
    BJJ World Cup:
    2005 Black belt: 2nd place
    2004 Black belt: 1st place

DanW
    Free Member

That’s the chap. Used the same S&C coach for a while. Never a dull moment when he’s around. I enjoy his writing too, hell of a character.

OT for a second, but he’s been in the ring with some of the huge names (as in famous) of MMA too. None of those guys would last long now but not many people can say they fought Butterbean, Frye, Kimbo, etc! His Youtube videos are hilarious too. The p1ss take of Pudzian is one I really like given all the crap that went on with those fights. If he’s anything like the same in real life then I imagine he’s one of those people you know can’t be totally stupid but they have you wondering sometimes (meant in a nice way if that makes sense?!) 😀 Kind of playing himself down a little and happy to take the p1ss out of himself as much as others 😀

Anyway, sorry to derail… back to pointless arguing 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

nwill1 – Member

Just going to throw a couple of names out there to contradict your “very few people in UFC are superb at martial arts” comment…

There are dozens and dozens of names, probably hundreds. I already mentioned some of them, he doesn’t want to know and won’t address any of them since he has no idea who any of those people are and can’t understand their achievements, or doesn’t want to.

BoardinBob

It’s also amazing how everyone knows someone that claims to be a world champion in a martial art. Either they run the world championships every fortnight or there are so many farcical governing bodies that a belt from primark carries more respect

colp

I was karaoke World champ in 2003.
    Whoop all yo asses.

scuttler

Kinda makes the UCI look organised. Oh hang on a minute – UFC.

I can’t believe this is still running from the original ‘top dog got unexpectedly whacked WTF?’ post.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 441 total)

The topic ‘UFC Content – Did Aldo Take a Dive?’ is closed to new replies.