Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • tyres – please help
  • loftmonkey
    Free Member

ok really confused about what tyres to buy – need xc tyres for orange 5 – – have had kenda nevegals 2.35 found them 2 grippy/sticky on the tarmac although good for punctures – was thinking schwalbe nobby nics 2.25 on front and rocket rons 2.25 on back – mostly riding holmfirth pennine area, peaks and lakes 2 – 3 times a year and maybe 3 or 4 trail centres – please help they are too many options and its doing my nut in !!

mrh86

I liked Advantages as they were quite fast rolling, but they didnt really offer much grip on wet rocks. Also, seemed to get a lot of pinch flats!

Made the sacrifice for more grip by going with 2.35 High rollers. 60a on the back and super tacky on the front

james
    Free Member

"kenda nevegals 2.35 found them 2 grippy/sticky on the tarmac"

Which ones? StickE (50a) or DTC? (50a edges, 60a middle) It'll make a fair bit of difference

You could try the 2.1" DTC versions? Seem very well behaved pretty much everywhere, could be a touch faster though (as everything could)

2.35" (60a) High Rollers (even the folding ones) sound like they'd be a bit too slow for what you're after

loftmonkey
    Free Member

StickE mate – apart from price the schwalbe 's seem good in the reviews

loftmonkey
    Free Member

anyone !

Spud

High Roller front, Larsen rear

coogan
    Free Member

Nobby Nics are shite. Highrollers for the win.

iainc

on my 5, I have 2.35 Rampages front and rear – suits me !

simonjf63
    Free Member

Much empathy here – similar geographical area and ride a 575 with a combination of high rollers and ignitors but find them too draggy. Difficult to get any consensus opinion on the right tyre choice as it's just far too subjective. I'd like to try various options, but finances preclude and I suspect that for most average ability riders it makes little difference what you choose. I suspect there is no nirvana (unless you're buddhist)

PJM1974
    Free Member

I'm getting on rather well with Kenda Small Blocks – although they're absolutely not four season rubber.

igm

Nevegal 2.5 front, Small Block 8 2.1 rear. Odd but it seems to work.

roughneck
    Free Member

thinking of trying some rubber queen's 2.2" or some wild grip R 2.25", any body tryed them. I've got nobby nic's at the moment very good tyres but not to strong.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Anyone tried Ardents?

Kamikirk
    Free Member

Maxxis Highroller 2.35(60a) front and Highroller XC(60a) 2.1 rear. Seems good so far.

Was on advantage 2.1 rear which was way bigger but side wall split on a road ride and lost confidence in it's durability.

Northwind

If you had 2.35 stick-e nevegals on both ends then I salute you! Grip like velcro, roll like bricks. I'd say go with the 2.1s, stick-e on the front, classic combo.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Rubberqueen front rendez rear?

votchy
    Free Member

Could also try Kenda Blue Groove DTC 2.3 front and Nevegal 2.3 DTC rear, if you like the Nevegals for everything except tarmac then just change the compound, been using the above all year round on my 5 running them tubeless, roll ok on tarmac and grip ok on all sorts of off road conditions, mud, ice, snow, roots, rocks etc

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Dare I suggest Conti MK Pro 2.4s?? OK maybe not 🙂 I've been running these for over a year on my 5 in The Peaks and they've been more than fine for most conditions.

True, they are not the grippiest of tyres but are light, tough, hard wearing and more importantly roll really quickly.

I've had Maxxis Advantage 2.25s on the 5 before this. They were OK but in my opinion not as good as the Contis. I also tried a Kenda BG 2.35 DTC front and Nevegal 2.35 DTC rear. As you've stated, found them to be too grippy and very draggy and removed after 2 weeks.

Currently considering Maxxis HR front and Larsen TT rear, WTB Wierwolfs, Schwalbe Fat Alberts or Nobby Nics.

mafiafish
    Free Member

There's no point getting a larsen or crossmark for the rear while the rendez is around. It looks like it wouldn't grip but it's supposedly great in most conditions including mud. (Definately a rear tyre though)

poppa
    Free Member

StickE mate

That's why they seem draggy.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i have 'Kenda Nevegal' on the 'rear tyre' and 'Kenda Blue Groove' on 'front tyre' on my orange five….

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘tyres – please help’ is closed to new replies.