Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Twrch Trail – Cwmcarn – Does anyone really enjoy it?
  • SpeedyG
    Free Member

Maybe I've done it wrong, but I didn't really get it. Just as bits got good it came to a steep concrete slope to climb, or a bit of tarmac to cross or a gate to fiddle through. . . . and then I was back in the car park after 1hr 30! Could have done it again I suppose but why? Having said that I quite liked the freeridey bit!

simondbarnes

Been good fun whenever I've ridden there.

mikey74
    Free Member

I quite like it but then again I usually ride up the road after that concrete slope and do the dh tracks.

SpeedyG
    Free Member

How much harder is the downhill course? Quite fancy it but don't want to launch down it and be out of my depth!

LMT
    Free Member

Really enjoy the climb, makes you feel alive!!

The downhill was fun, but nothing special but worth a trip now and then!

djglover
    Free Member

I like it a lot personally, I do it after work on my Cardiff London commute once a week. Rode the Wall a few weeks ago for a change and still prefer Cwmcarn, although it used to be even better before they sanitised the final descent.

To be fair I don't go there for a day out, just for an hour blast, and for those expecting an epic they will no doubt be a little disappointed

SpeedyG
    Free Member

Climb not as bad or as long as the Whites at Afan I thought?

Suggsey
    Free Member

I like Cwmcarn apart from thos flaming anti motorcycle gates really spoil the flow of those sections.

SpeedyG
    Free Member

I think I need to go again now!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah I love it but then it's only 40 mins from Bristol, share the bridge money with a mate and knock out a few laps…

mamadirt
    Free Member

Not so many anti-motorcycle gates now though – some have been removed. Just got back myself – bit of xc, freeride area and bottom of the d/h track – I'm shot after nearly 3 weeks off the bike but wow, I have to say that my new bike rocks!!!! 8)

SpeedyG
    Free Member

Turns out I've missed the north shore style drop offs which have been removed from the freeride section due to muchos crashes! Not sure if I'm pleased or not!

timraven

I enjoy it for the blast. Usually do it twice, to make up for the drive. Spend some time at the freeride bit, but a straight blast is about 1 hour 10 mins.

nickc

Really enjoyed it last time I went. Cruel climb, nice fast alpine-y descent, do it twice. what's not to like?

mikey74
    Free Member

Climb not as bad or as long as the Whites at Afan I thought?

I'd say the climb is steeper and more technical than the the Whites Level/Skyline climb. The climb at Afan is only steepish for the first section up to the first switchback and then it's all pretty easy. The climb at Cwm Carn is technical for a much more prolonged time IMO.

The dh tracks are very good fun and everything is rollable and IMO a much better descent than the xc route gives you.

Konastoner
    Free Member

It is a bit pointless as an all / half day excursion unless. You'll need to do it twice in the same day and as you learn the lines it becomes a lot better. It's also top notch when you night ride it!

SpeedyG
    Free Member

Thanks Mikey that's what I wanted to hear! What's the quickest way to the top of the downhill then (on a bike) without an uplift? – Up the Twrch?

fadda

Its my local – I love it! 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

Yes: Do the climb, past the freeride section. You get to the top of the steep concrete ramp and continue riding up the tarmace road for a while. After a bit you come to a right hand turning onto a gravel road with a bike frame hanging on a post (can't remember the feature exactly): Turn up there and stay on that main track and that will take you straight to the launch ramp.

woodey
    Free Member

works for me when I have to vist work HQ in Cardiff, good nightride before the drive back to Brighton.In fact I've never ridden it in the day

SpeedyG
    Free Member

Thanks again Mikey, that makes sense to me, will try next week maybe now

trusz
    Free Member

Thanks Mikey that's what I wanted to hear! What's the quickest way to the top of the downhill then (on a bike) without an uplift? – Up the Twrch?

quickest way is to ride up the road probably, but there's not much fun in that.

Cwmcarn is alright for a hard blast. The climb is a bit demoralising on a hardtail though, even worse if you're unfit. The descent is very disjointed and not as fun as perhaps it could have been. The freeride section at the top is good fun if you stay up there and ride it a few times.

I've done bits of the downhill track. Starting from the concrete road tunnel. If you get to a part of the XC course where you go up a steep concrete path after a little descent, turn right on the road and follow down the road bearing left for a couple of hundred yards and there's a wooden fence on the left you can start behind. It doesn't take very long to get down to the car park from there!

stumpy01

My sis lives in Bristol so I make sure I always take the bike when I visit & get a lap or two done.

I enjoy it – the motorbike gates do spoil the flow, but I'd much rather that than trashed trails.

SpeedyG
    Free Member

Also noted Trusz thanks, quite like the sound of that for an opener!

Keva
    Free Member

I love it, 2 laps makes for a great couple of hours or so riding. There's three or four sections on the way up which I always have to make an extra effort for so it's challenging enough to make me wanna keep going back.

Kev

nickjb
    Free Member

Its a great trail. Good for all levels of riders. Great fun on a unicycle, too

fadda

UNICYCLE?!!!!?!!!!

SpeedyG
    Free Member

Oh God a unicycle? – I did read that right didn't I?? No doubt you rode all the bits I walked with 2 wheels on the way up too!! Good work dude!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Twrch Trail – Cwmcarn – Does anyone really enjoy it?’ is closed to new replies.