• This topic has 48 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by T1000.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Two kids on the bike. Trailer or Surly Big Dummy / kona UTE ?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

Hi folks, I have two small children and I’d like to get out and about with them on the bike. The most obvious, and cheapest solution is a trailer, but I get the impression it’ll be awkward for certain maneuvers and I don’t think I’d feel too confident on the road with it.

The other option I’ve seen is a kona Ute or Surly Big Dummy with two kids seats on the back. Much more expensive, but is it much better? I know this might be borderline obscure but I thought I’d throw it out there. Both kids are under two btw.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Xtracycle freeradical conversion kit with some child carrying accessories? You could go for a Weeride and a Hamax combo, may be a bit top heavy. Trailers are great but ours is a pain on the nursery run as bike paths round here are not very trailer friendly (narrow barriers etc.)

boxelder

Trailers are good for carrying clothing, food, bags etc. You can get off and put the bike down without disturbing kids. Cheaper and can be used with existing bike and more maneuverable than you’d think. Can unhitch the trailer if dropping off and leave it.

T1000
    Free Member

Yuba Mundo is a good alternative and more stable than the Ute, I don’t feel as vulnerable as when I’ve used a trailer if they are small howabout using a wee ride + a rear seat?

Brother_Will
    Free Member

These trailer bikes are quite highly thought of
    http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/parts-accessories/trailers/weehoo-trailer-bikes/

Expensive but then so were the long tail options

TiRed

Age? Kiddyback tandem and tagalong was my solution and served us for 10 years

lardman
    Free Member

I reckon my Yuba Mundo is a great bike for haulin’ round my two. I’ve not used a trailer much, but when i did use one i was very aware of the width of the trailer behind me, whereas the Yuba is no wider than my handlebars.

Feel free to mail me if you’re interested in opinions/advice etc:

jimjam
    Free Member

mrblobby

Xtracycle freeradical conversion kit with some child carrying accessories? You could go for a Weeride and a Hamax combo, may be a bit top heavy. Trailers are great but ours is a pain on the nursery run as bike paths round here are not very trailer friendly (narrow barriers etc.)

Thanks mr.blobby, I think that xtracycle is so close in price to say, a ute, that I would rather have a dedicated bike, which might be useful for something else, rather than taking a bike out of commission.

I never thought about a weeride/hamax combo. My only worry would be that it wouldn’t be as stable as the bigger utility bikes, and I could see it needing a big stand fitted to get the two on and off.

Lardman, T1000, I think the yaba is out of my budget, but definitely looks the part. I can’t see them for anything less than £1600, but that’s an electrical one.

lardman
    Free Member

Trek also do a cracking cargo bike, but it’s not imported into this country. It looks MUCH better quality than a Mundo, which is fine but heavier than a very heavy thing.

trek review here……

lardman
    Free Member

@jimjam

I bought a frame and forks from ‘practiclecycles’ and built it with parts-bin spares. Cost me about £600 in all…..

brianp
    Free Member

My son wanted the kids in front of him so he could keep n eye on them and see what they were up to. I think he was right and his Bullitt bike has been a big success.

http://larryvsharry.com

brianp
    Free Member

I have a Kona Ute, great fun. Chain Reaction have them on sale just now at 63% off. Huge bargain, just £450.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kona-ute-bike/rp-prod117008

takisawa2

Our Ute.
    We certainly had our money’s worth.
    Big Dummy would be my preferred choice if buying another cargo bike.

IMAG0774 by pten2106, on Flickr

jimjam
    Free Member

Thanks for all the answers and feedback guys, this is a whole new field of cycling to me that I barely knew existed.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve not used a dedicated cargo bike, but I do use a trailer, and/or rear mounted child seat with two and sometimes three kids on board on a daily basis, all year round for the school run..

I prefer a trailer, as even with one 5 year old on the child seat I find that the handling of the bike is severely compromised by the strange weight distribution.. It’s also impossible not to disturb a sleeping child if I need to park up when they are in the seat..
    Climbing out of the saddle is pretty much a no no too.. I can only envisage these problems being magnified with two kids on the back..

Using a trailer pretty much leaves the bikes handling unaffected (although bunnyhops and wheelies aren’t possible) and I’m yet to find any barrier that the (twin seat) trailer won’t squeeze through, with the trailer’s width being very deceptive..

That said many report cargo bikes as being a lot more stable and better handling than one might expect, so whether that is down to well designed geo and perhaps load placement, I couldn’t say.. Would love to try one as they do look slick..
    I’ve totally done away with a car now, and once the kids are on their own bikes, I can’t see me returning to motorised transport…

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve not used a dedicated cargo bike, but I do use a trailer, and/or rear mounted child seat with two and sometimes three kids on board on a daily basis, all year round for the school run..

I prefer a trailer, as even with one 5 year old on the child seat I find that the handling of the bike is severely compromised by the strange weight distribution.. It’s also impossible not to disturb a sleeping child if I need to park up when they are in the seat..
    Climbing out of the saddle is pretty much a no no too.. I can only envisage these problems being magnified with two kids on the back..

Using a trailer pretty much leaves the bikes handling unaffected (although bunnyhops and wheelies aren’t possible) and I’m yet to find any barrier that the (twin seat) trailer won’t squeeze through, with the trailer’s width being very deceptive..

That said many report cargo bikes as being a lot more stable and better handling than one might expect, so whether that is down to well designed geo and perhaps load placement, I couldn’t say.. Would love to try one as they do look slick..
    I’ve totally done away with a car now, and once the kids are on their own bikes, I can’t see me returning to motorised transport…

triple_s

I love my Ute! I used to have a trailer but sold it as it was too much hassle, much easier getting to nursery in the morning with the Ute.

It’s the best value cargo bike out there, Yuba is probably better for carrying stuff but it’s a lot more money.

Handling is a bit odd with weight behind the rear axle but it’s fine now I’m used to it. I’ve swapped the narrow rims for Sun MTX33s (£30 each in CRC)and it’s much better.

yunki
    Free Member

Protection from the elements was also quite an important factor for me

mrblobby
    Free Member

and I’m yet to find any barrier that the (twin seat) trailer won’t squeeze through, with the trailer’s width being very deceptive..

Must be more generous than they are down here. Had a few frustrating experiences trying to get our trailer through some of those staggered barriers 😡

Euro
    Free Member

‘Bout ye James. A mate of mine just used two child seats on his hardtail. One that attached behind the seat and another that fitted over the top tube. When his youngest got too big for the top tube one they were promoted to the back seat and he got a tag-a-long for his eldest. Worked a treat and didn’t cost the earth.

jimjam
    Free Member

Euro – Member

‘Bout ye James. A mate of mine just used two child seats on his hardtail. One that attached behind the seat and another that fitted over the top tube. When his youngest got too big for the top tube one they were promoted to the back seat and he got a tag-a-long for his eldest. Worked a treat and didn’t cost the earth.

How the hell do you get them on and off safely though marty?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Guessing the top tube mounted kid is easy enough to remove when still sat on the bike. Find my boy in the Hamax is always a bit trickier, needing to get off the bike, not kick him in the face as I swing my leg over, and keep the bike steady at the same time!

Hmm that Yuba frame for 500 quid is tempting.

D0NK

Takisawa and other ute owners, can the ute carry 2 kids straight out of the box or do I need to get some accessories?

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner Jr Sr had a puncture the other morning, so it was two-up on the back of the xtracycle:

Road train 🙂

D0NK

Xtracycle looked interesting, couldn’t find anyone selling in uk, got any links? Rough price?

D0NK

cheers stoner

TimP
    Free Member

Got soem Xtracycle footsies hanging about in a cupboard if anyoe is interested? I changed my mind and got a Ute, but the standard, er, stand is not wide enough and is very unstable when unloading – anyone use anything different?

As for kiddies on a ute – raleigh do a seat that clips to a rack – was goign to see if it could be fitted to mine. Yepp do a fitting that can bolt through the wood, but I couldnt get a hamax style to work due to the tube arangements at the seat/top tube junction. If anyone else has – let me know please!!

Stoner
    Free Member

footsies are a nice idea, but the kids legs arent long enough to reach them. Great for bigger kid/adult ferrying. But Im damned if Im towing mine around when theyre big enough to ride themselves 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Protection from the elements was also quite an important factor for me

Yep – trailers come into their own in mid-winter – with the cover down and in good coats, the mini Ransoses are always toasty warm, even when it’s below freezing.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Xtracycle freeradical conversion kit

I don’t have kids, but have carried an adult passenger on both an Xtracycle conversion and a Big Dummy.

The Dummy is vastly stiffer. Xtracycle conversion is a lot cheaper, but if that isn’t a major consideration then I’d certainly go for a Dummy or an Edgerunner.

The best reason for going Xtracycle rather than (say) Ute is the compatibility of accessories. Xtracycle have done a lot of work on producing child-carrying paraphernalia

triple_s

I’ve got 2 Polisport Guppy seats on my Ute, they clamp straight onto the frame, just had to take the deck off.

The other option is Yepp Maxi but need to drill the deck for those.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone know if the xtracycle accessories fit the Yuba Mundo?

molgrips
    Free Member

Just in case anyone’s interested, I’m selling a trailer.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Anyone know if the xtracycle accessories fit the Yuba Mundo?

I don’t think they do BUT Yuba now seem to produce versions of everything that Xtracycle have, so it probably doesn’t matter in fact.

🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks BigDummy. Just checking out the Yuba accessories. Seem a bit cheaper than the xtracycle ones too!

pictonroad

where are you looking at for Yuba accessories? I’m in the process of turning my min-ute into a double kid carrier and want some inspiration.

Fairly certain the eventual solution will involve some stolen for sale signs, zip ties and a waterproof cushion but it’s good to see what I ‘should’ be doing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pictonroad, have a look here. I think I was looking at the Really Useful Bikes site for UK prices.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oh and how easy are the kids seats to remove on things like the big dummy or the yuba? Just thinking about quick conversions between carrying kids and carrying stuff. Hamax is great on the bike for one kid as it pops in and out very easily.

Euro
    Free Member

Safely? Sounds like the wife talking JJ.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Two kids on the bike. Trailer or Surly Big Dummy / kona UTE ?’ is closed to new replies.