Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Two gigs in two nights
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Ulrich Schnauss tomorrow night then nothing for a bit. 2019 so far I have Submotion Orchestra, Gentleman’s Dub Club, Unkle and Nils Frahm booked.

Digby

There are loads of small and medium venues and plenty of bands who tour them. All depends if you want to see new stuff (remember, like you used to)

Haha … true to a certain extent I guess, but the industry has certainly changed.

I do try and get to see new bands as well though – not just the old timers! 🙂

Recent gigs in the past couple of weeks:

Slaves – Leeds

Killing Joke – Leeds (sadly missed Drenge  in Sheffield as I already had tickets for KJ)

Polica – Leeds

There’s probably more smallish bars and pubs with ‘live’ music than there was 20+ years ago, but an increasing number of small and medium sized venues have closed down (35% in the past ten years apparently):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42621944/why-music-venue-closures-make-all-of-our-lives-poorer

&

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/feb/16/uks-first-live-music-census-finds-small-venues-struggling

Leeds Brudenell SC is definitely bucking the trend and doing something right – and whilst I live in Sheffield I do go and see quite a few gigs there.

It’s about economies of scale though isn’t it? Years ago, a band would play Nottingham, Sheffield, Manchester Liverpool & Leeds. Frequently they will now only play a couple of northern cities. At the moment Sheffield is often overlooked. Manchester will cover the North-West catchment area, Nottingham the Midlands and Leeds the wider North & West Yorkshire area.

verses

Wheatus OTOH are at least a two-hit wonder. (-: Aside from the obvious, they also covered Erasure’s “A Little Respect” which did quite well if memory serves.

Not heard that cover, but hearing some of the high notes he was able to hit (and carry) the other night I can imagine they did it justice.

‘A’ are good fun, the lead singer turned up dressed as a Deliveroo rider, and their bassist has been replaced* by the one from McFly – there was much piss taking.

* Their former bassist is Daniel P Carter of Radio One Rock Show fame.

DezB
    Free Member

I do try and get to see new bands as well though – not just the old timers! 

I saw 😉

CountZero

Got a couple of gigs coming up, but not until next year, and DezB will be able to point and laugh at these two! First one’s next April in Bristol, and that’s Sleeper at the O2 Academy, the second is one I’m really looking forward to, as it’s a band I never got to see, and it’s their 50th Anniversary tour; King Crimson at the Royal Albert Hall! I borrowed their first album from a mate at school, and it opened up a whole world of music that you never heard of on the radio.

I do try and get to see new bands as well though – not just the old timers!

I saw 😉

To be fair, Slaves and Policia aren’t exactly ‘old-timers’!
    I saw Slaves twice, supporting Blood Red Shoes, on consecutive tours, at the same venue in Bristol, which has to be a first.

Northwind

I guess A could be a one hit wonder, we’ll just have to decide whether that one hit was Nothing, Summer On The Underground, Starbucks, or Number One.

And definitely not Hello World Festival.

DezB
    Free Member

Hey CZ, I don’t point and laugh, with Sleeper I shake my head in puzzlement.
    😉

sofaking
    Free Member

Alabama 3 last night, millie manders and the shut ups, nosebleed tonight

CountZero

Hey CZ, I don’t point and laugh, with Sleeper I shake my head in puzzlement.

Which is what I feel about the likes of the Manics, I just cannot fathom the adulation that seems to surround them. Sleeper, well, I have fond memories of seeing them play Bristol years back, so, with a new album in the offing, I thought it would be fun to see them again. Both Lush and Belly, when they returned a couple of years back were superb live, Louise seems to be enjoying playing and recording a lot more this time around, it’ll be interesting to see how they come across live after all this time.

Northwind

Trail of Dead one night followed by Craig Finn from the Hold Steady (supporting Brian Fallon but, it’s totally a Craig Finn show for me)

“Sleeper I shake my head in puzzlement”

Louise Wener is still an unusually well assembled human being (and Inbetweener is still perfect indie pop)

DezB
    Free Member

Puzzle by no means solved. You’d go and see a (dull, old) band just beacause you fsncy/fsncied the female lead singer? Nope, don’t get it.
    Do you stand there rubbing yourself or something?

SiofCannock
    Free Member

A couple of weeks ago I saw Buffalo Tom in Brum who are still as good live as ever, then the next night saw Amusement Parks On Fire in Leicester who I love anyway. But their support was Deja Vega, and they are now my fave new band.

sadexpunk

Trail of Dead one night

got my eyes on their tour dates too, leeds in feb seems my best option….. you live abroad or know something i dont?

then the next night saw Amusement Parks On Fire

theyre still going?? enjoyed them supporting six by seven in nottingham back in the day, never heard anything from them since, id be happy seeing how they sound these days….

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Gig advice from STW

theotherjonv

They were supported by one-hit-wonder Wheatus, who were much more entertaining than I expected them to be.

Wheatus are excellent live. Not least because their set list is pretty much request based, with the audience calling out what they want. Of course Teenage Dirtbag is called for right from the start but is always at the end, the rest is pretty flexible.

Brendan B Brown is a very good frontman too, excellent live and a great presence and sense of humour; a few times we’ve seen them and some wag in the crowd requests various ‘similar genre’ songs (Lit, Fountains of Wayne, Presidents of the USA, etc) which BBB gently rebuffs, often with a suitable anecdote.

Worth seeing, even if you only know 2 songs.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

Hi Sadexpunk

APOF took a few years off then came back last year with this;

Which was nice.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Two gigs in two nights’ is closed to new replies.