Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tweaked knee – pain behind knee / top of calf
  • DT78
    Free Member

Suffering a little bit of pain behind my left knee, did it the week before, thought it had got better but it's back even worse after yesterdays ride.

Not had this problem before, am I right in thinking it's probably put me out of contention for racing this sunday?

TheFlyingOx

Oooh. Sounds like ACL*. I'd get it checked before doing any more cycling. My missus ignored similar symptoms and carried on playing hockey, popped her ACL, had to have surgery and it was about 14 months before she could run well enough to play again.

*disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form a doctor.

DT78
    Free Member

fantastic. Just appears to be one injury after another at the moment.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im off bike with similar symptoms . Swimming instead with gentle cycling – no racing no hard sprinting. with easy pace riding it helps with the symptoms . Time on bike doesnt affect it . seens to be an effort related issue

DT78
    Free Member

Both times I've noticed it have been on the single speed. I used the geared bike mid week and it didn't hurt so definitely effort related.

TheFlyingOx

I think if you get it looked at it can be treated without surgery as long as there's no damage to the ligament already. Might just be swollen. This is assuming it is indeed ACL. As I said, I'm no doctor.

As an alternative, I have had problems with my knees for years and medically there's very little that can be done. I just don't produce enough interstitial(?) fluid in my knee joints. As a result, my kneecap grates on the knee bones and causes untold agony. This is a fairly easy to pinpoint "under the kneecap" type pain, so I don't know if it rings any bells. I find a regular intake of those seven seas fish oil tablets and painkillers when it's really bad is generally enough to stop it bothering me too much.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Google pain at top of calf / behind knee .

Sounds like the same as me . I am riding my geared road bike on the flat for now as well as swimming and stetching.

DT78
    Free Member

So I happened to be seeing the osteo anyway for my back so got her to check it over – apparently it is a slight strain on the hamstring and I've over worked the small muscle that is responsible for helping to contract the knee (it hurts most walking down stairs)

This is due to the hamstring fatiguing whilst riding and then not providing enough support hence then the smaller muscle starts overworking.

All sounds plausible to me. Ice, ibuprofen, rest.

Hope that helps others who might have similar issue.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cheers bud sounds fiesable to me as mine happened when running.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tweaked knee – pain behind knee / top of calf’ is closed to new replies.