Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Turner Flux DW – Fun to ride or only worth it if you're going to race?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Vaguely looking at a very good deal on a Turner Flux…

Quite fancy a short travel bike (and not many go small enough for me) but is the Flux fun to ride downhill too, or is it all about speed and efficiency??

Cheers!

handyman
    Free Member

I ride mine up, down, flat, i had an xce before again with just under 4 inches of rear travel took that to wales, scotland, lakes, peaks and spain never felt that it was to smaller a travel for the downhills, would do a world cup downhill course but not at speed though

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

wow that made sense?…. 😐

handyman
    Free Member

sorry still tired from last night, the flux is fast and a great climber, i had my shock “pushed” and that made the rear slightly more supple, i can fly downhills, although i have not tried a real downhill bike so can’t compare but i have yet to come across anything i couldn’t ride down. I have 120mm maxle rebas on the front and 745mm wide bars and run tubeless, the only limiting factor in downhilling is my skill levels and fear

vondally
    Free Member

had a tnt flux very capable trail bike, used in y dales lakes and it wass fine, see the link for an alternative and have a look at dave turners comments
    null

very intresting

nuke

I’ve a Flux DW and I built it up with no intention to racing or speed/efficiency…more for just plain fun and a bit of enduro/marathon. When think racing as well, by today standards (CF frames etc) the Flux is not that light…came up bang on 6.0lb for just the frame.

For mine it was wide bars, short stem, dropper seatpost and Reba U-Turns. Was tempted to stick a pair of Rev U-turns (100-130mm) but the Reba suit it perfectly…didn’t feel it needed anymore travel at the front.

It’s a great bike. Fast and stable on the downs particularly given the low BB, great on the Surrey Hill trails and climbs very well. It’s not perfect imo…the travel is very plush but I find it goes through it quickly and I bottom out quite a bit if I find more technical descents or trails where you’re getting off the ground. You could of course up the shock pressure which I have tried but the plushness goes and so for the vast majority of a ride you losing that benefit…better to have the odd bottom out imo.

Worth the money over say an Anthem X or Trek EX8? Well I’ve had an EX8 and had other FS frames (Ellsworth Truth, SC Superlight) and personally I’d say no. Lovely frame, great quality and good support and that’s worth something plus the discounts around are good.

Vondally’s link makes interesting reading.

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

My only direct back-to-back comparison against a similair suspension system was a 5 spot against a giant trance X and the turner was certainly worth the extra, the suspension worked much better. I have also tried an anthem (not x) and that was ok but not as stiff or plush. The flux can be had for only about 300 more than an anthem x frame would cost, if you can find one.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Its one of the better all rounders i would say.Put a 120mm fork on for a lightweight trail bike or 100mm for more race duty’s.I am using it as a race bike and its fantastic! I have an older 5 Spot for mucking about on!
    Thanx Max

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

nuke – dunno if it affects you but on my 09 dw-link flux the main pivot was a little larger in diameter at the outside than it should have been which meant the suspension was a little stiffer than it should be – when I set it up for the correct sag the actual pressure I used was a little low and therefore I got pedal strikes and bottom outs easier. When I changed the pivot (free from Greg) I could put
    40psi more pressure in the shock.

I also use the enduro needle eye bearings instead of the DU busings on the shock mount and it is plusher still, so might help you run higher pressures.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html

Sorry if I am talking to the converted – you probably ride a lot more aggressively than me (with that forum name) and certainly more aggressively than I will be riding next year after 5 months out with a broken collarbone 🙁

mudmonster
    Free Member

I love mine. Only had it a bit so the only proper rides I’ve done was a frozen weekend at Afan. I consider it more of a trail bike really. Especially with a 120mm fork. It fits me better than my last bike(blur) longer and lower. I felt much more confident in ever aspect of my riding, especially on the downhills.

nuke

Cheers for that Turnerguy… given what you’ve said, can’t hurt to give it try and replace the main pivot particularly if its FOC.

Don’t be fooled by the username as I’m far more slow and steady wins the day 😉 ….username was just a retro throwback to nukeproof which I then shortened after they were re-born by Hotlines.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Dave Turner said on the mtbr forum that with the top shock bolt undone and the suspension fully extended you should be able to push down on the saddle with one hand to compress the suspension.

The 2010 version had an upgraded bushing with the shock which made things move easier than the 09 (both standard Fox RP23 bushings) but the needle bearing kit is better.

Think I started out with 120lbs and went up to 155 or 160.

mudmonster
    Free Member

What difference does having the top bolt undone make?

Frankers
    Free Member

mudmonster – Member

What difference does having the top bolt undone make?

So that the shock is not connected and you can move the linkage independently

mountaingorilla
    Free Member

Is this thread broken?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

or has the (dw-) links broken???

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

It’s a problem with the STW server – it’s been happening to lots of threads. See the sticky at the top of the form page for an explanation. Cheers!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Turner Flux DW – Fun to ride or only worth it if you're going to race?’ is closed to new replies.