Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,169 total)
  • Trouties New Light is on the way ( Update to all interested folks who emailed me
  • Luminous
    Free Member

CHB.

Yeah, fair point, perhaps I should have started my own thread.

As for the ref to "fruit", I must have missed that. I've no idea what that is all about.

As I pointed out, I'm not in the market place yet, but hope to be.

I already have orders and I only recieved my prototype housing this week. What that translates into is that those who know me personally, trust my Engineering and are ready to part with their hard-earned for what I MAY make available, soon. I've still a few hurdles to overcome.

Many Thanks.

L.

trout
    Free Member

Luminous I have replied to your mail and wish you success with your project and harbour no bad karma But we Still dont know what you are doing yet so hows about some techy info .

on the logo that Monty sorted and CHB got drafted so Paul; could have a go here is the first look

and monty I offered CHB a light at cost so the same goes for you if you want one

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I'm not having a pop, but does the cooling on that housing work as well as if it were cut to 'go' with the resistance?
    Surely the bezel stops the fins from dissapating?

CHB

I think you overestimate how much cooling these things require.
    Look at it another way, conduction and thermal mass and surface area are all important. Airflow matters too, but conduction is a stronger effect at low speed and I doubt the tail would get too hot as this light looks to be more Alu than the chinese ones.

racefaceec90

would love a set of your 3000 lumens lights,but am paying towards a new anthem at the moment.(will take until next may as i am unemployed at present.)i was wondering if you might still make them,or are they just ltd edition.great lights by the way 😀

montylikesbeer

Hi Troutie, the logo looks superb, thanks for the nod.

As for cost I am more than happy to pay "full whack" you have put a right load of work into it after all.

Bring on the light !!!!!!!!!!

AB
    Free Member

Troutie, the light looks fantastic and will surely be a big hit.

Realistically it is overkill for my needs so I wanted to ask if there was any plans to do a full self-contained light and battery combo unit?

Best of luck!

Luminous
    Free Member

Trout.

I've not checked my mail yet. Tech wise theres nothing outstanding with this prototype. It can use the XP range of cree LEDs with corresponding optics and a driver from George.
    The more expensive version of the switch we like from the Italian Manufacturuer.
    Thats about it really.

As you will know from your R&D, heat-management is something to deal with, if one takes one's work seriously and this prototype is to test whether the design I wish to create, will function at dissipating the heat generated.

I commend you on your photography, you have presented your light with logo well there, will it be just an outline image, or will it be coloured ?. The enthusiasm and support you have enjoyed here now from the other forum members is pleasing to see.

2U2R.
    Thanks for your interest, as already stated, this picture is of a prototype, awaiting assembly, after which it will be subject to testing, both dynamic and static. Therefore I will learn the answer to the question of the cooling, in time.

I'm still a bit shocked and dis-heartened by the initial reaction to my post.

I think I'm going to leave this forum alone for a while and if I return, I will start a thread. This thread isn't really were I should be posting, as this isn't a Show-n-Tell type discussion.

Good luck to you all, those who sell and those who buy. After all, lights allow us to ride while the days are shorter, and that can only be a good thing.

Lumnious.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Luminous, by STW standards there really hasn't been a hostile response, I think you just got off on the wrong foot by just jumping in with your light design.
    I also think you should stay around & add your input to this & other lighting threads, you clearly know your stuff. Once you have finished your prototype I'd be very interested to see & read about it, I love to see DIY stuff stick it the the big boys, I would rather it was in a new thread though.

Cheers.

Stoner
    Free Member

something occurred to me on the john the other night….we see homebrew in SLEDs from the amateur to the borderline pro, but I dont recall ever seeing homebrew Halogen or Halide set-ups a few years ago when they were the leading technologies…

having said that, I did get one of those hair gel pot lumi can replacements from eBay once…. so maybe they did exist…

trout
    Free Member

Raceface
    the Big light was going to be a one off and was an learning tool really on machining using my new mill and what I could do with it
    it is not really a goer to make money from as it would have put me on about 50p an hour wage . But as I am a compulsive tinkerer I am sure there will be other stupidly bright projects for when you are flush

AB
    there was a plan for a selfcontained light and the prototype is in america lent to a guy out racing there .
    so it is still on the agenda when it returns from it holiday.

Luminous

Dont be too disheartened , as 2 unfit says that was nothing compared to the savageing that has gone on in the past
    there was a time when a diy light thread was like a red rag to a bull .
    though alot is tongue in cheek most of the time .

so yes keep us all informed on progress .
    and Thanks for the nice comments

CHB

Trout, apparently you are in the wrong game with MTB lights! I was talking to a colleague yesterday to show him the logo handywork. He informed me you should be making dive lights to be in the serious money. He is seriously into his diving and said that they are even more ridiculously expensive than MTB light!

wors

do the housings need to be metal?

Jamie
    Free Member

wors – Member
    do the housings need to be metal?

I am going to go out on a limb and say yes. 😉

trout
    Free Member

CHB
    yes I keep wandering into the dive light section on candlepower forums to have a look round I can design them to be pretty waterproof but cant do the pressure testing and cooling would be a doddle .

Wors yes there is quite a heat issue with hi power leds
    the cooler you can run them the more lumens come out the front
    and if the leds go over 150 c then it will die
    it has been looked at and the leds will be about 30/40 degrees hotter than the light casing . when run at hi current

the old halogens and hids just got hot and the hotter the more light came out and all the case need to do was withstand the heat

wors

i see, its just we use these http://www.3trpd.co.uk/%5D for prototyping stuff, prices are very good. We get stuff made out of 30% glass filled nylon.

you just need a cad model to send them 😉

robhughes
    Free Member

i need one of these.i must have one.(email sent)

Scottlacey
    Free Member

Troutie
    what will the switch look like, will it be the same as the ones in the pictures?
    And any news on the mount yet?
    Scott

Gary_M
    Free Member

Luminous I wasn't putting you down for what you're trying to do but I didn't think this thread was the best place to do it.

trout
    Free Member

Hi Scott the switch will look like this pic the colour may differ

IP67 rated down to 1 metre under water

The mount is a bit of an ouch I am afraid £15 for the matching one

but the base has enough meat in it to drill and tap for any mount like a lumi one but it would not be over the stem like the cncd mount.

montylikesbeer

Looking good troutie, the mount price is OK, after all the exposure one is dearer than that.

trout
    Free Member

Ohh Bugger should have looked at others prices 😥

firestarter
    Free Member

btw trout have you ever troutified ™ an original joystick ? ta

trout
    Free Member

Mick I have never seen one close up but it should be possible

firestarter
    Free Member

mmm mine is currently at use getting looked at but should it return i will take some pix 😉

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

So I currently have trouties' prototype self contained 3 led light over here in Colorado.

I've been riding it pretty damn hard for the last 3 weeks and can say nothing but good things. it has enough power by itself to ride at race-pace in the dark, the toggle between high and low settings is easy to use without looking and the whole unit is very sturdy and amazingly light.

for a 24 hour race which I did 2 weeks ago, I used one of trouties 6XPE lights on my helmet and the prototype 3 led self contained unit on my bars. the loop was 13 miles long, 10 miles of which was tight singletrack with one or two very techy sections over steep bedrock (think slickrock style) I kept both lights on low settings for all but the techy sections, and had plenty of light. I rode for 6 dark hours without charging them; 24 hour races are so much better when you can go to bed after your 3am lap and not worry about charging your lights!! the race went really well – I got 2nd fastest lap in both day and night (only beaten by a salaried pro!)

the 6XPE light is phenominal. In previous races I have used top of the range Niterider and Exposure lights, and they come no where near in terms of pure power and beam pattern. I used two zip ties to mount the unit to my helmet and it didnt move once. its so light I couldn't even tell it was on my head.

I am returning to the UK next week, and will be returning the prototype to troutie, then buying one of my own when he has them available.

they're ace.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Trout what are the switching levels?, I am assuming low is about half power?

trout
    Free Member

Nice one Chris real happy you have given them a good workout
    and thanks for the good words .

Duggie style

depends on modes if in multi mode 5 levels each level down from hi is half the previous roughly in current supplied to the leds
    but this does not equate to half the lumen output each time as at lower current the leds become more effiecient will need time to work it out

and in duo mode the low is level 2 with 5 being max power

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

GM.

Nice going, you seem to have appointed yourself forum police there. Well done 🙄

**** me, what is going on here. Some guy is thinking of making a light (something we all might be interested in….)
    and some a-h*les chops his head off before he even gets started.

GM: Where do you live, 14th century Japan ?, behead anyone who lands on your beach, before they offer the words "I come in peace".

Have you read the thread ?, this guy appears to have helped Trout, although this hasn't been confirmed.

For all we know, the light you all are wanting to buy from Trout, might in some small part, be what it is due to this guy's input.

You're totally out of order !.

CC.

trout
    Free Member

OK to put the record straight .
    Luminous,
    and I did not know who he was due to a name change but I sort of put 2+2 together and came to 3.99 after a few posts he has been very suportive of my stuff and Smudges under his previous forum name
    and he has been building lights for I dont know how long but has offered help and advise about switches and stuff to me via emails and posts on the forums

He explained to me what he is trying to do via email and it should be a pretty good bit of kit when he has ironed out the creases .
    and I wish him the best of luck with it and if he needs help will gladly offer it to him .

And to Luminous keep on doing the stuff and we do want to see its progress and what it is about , you cant sell it if no one knows owt about it .

Hairychested
    Free Member

Troutie, can this light be used on CF bars? Sorry if repeating somebody else's question.

trout
    Free Member

Hairychested .

Sure can either standard or 31.8 mm it wont matter which and wont melt them 🙂

Where as the mount is aluminium and does help with cooling it is not essential to have ali bars and the light will still be cooled as normal

Hairychested
    Free Member

Will you be having (selling) some in late October? My birthday is then so I stand a chance of being allowed some goodies. BTW I'd need a battery, switch, light, the whole set. Will I need to sell my wife's kidneys?

carlphillips
    Free Member

could the mount be retro-fitted to my 6XPE light?

you have snail mail headed your way, posted off this morning, cheers.

Scottlacey
    Free Member

chris
    no the price for the mount sounds fine, i,m guessing your only selling the ali part and we will have to supply the bottom part? hope that makes sence ¿

trout
    Free Member

Hairy chested

I certainly hope so or the stw lynch mob will be decending on the hatchery demanding their lumens .

every thing is falling into place and just waiting for the leds
    only one Kidney

Fatmutha

possibly with a little drilling and modding I dont have an old housing to try

Scott nope that was to include the bit off an electron mount but they are out of stock at CR so searching for some

Hairychested
    Free Member

Fabulous, time to clear some of my stuff to gather funds.

CHB

Went to visit Trout today with a mate who wants a custom application for his HASE. Trout showed us the CNC housings for the new light and also the current (soon to be previous) generation LED setup. I have to say, the photos taken really do not do justice to the quality of product this man is making. The CNCing is perfect, the LED fitment is neat, the switch has a nice satisfying click. In short… I am having one. Gun metal grey also looks nothing like as black as it did in the pictures. Looks really nice!
    And Mrs Trout makes a nice coffee (thanks!).

racing_ralph
    Free Member

ROFL Harris – Member

Troutie – single led helmet light -powered by an external pack – what are the chances?

Fancy around 400 lumens on the (bike) helmet powered by AAs in the back pack (not the bastid light tho)

trout
    Free Member

:lol:Thanks Conrad was real nice to meet you and mark I am still chuckling about what Mark said about the half trout light 😆

I have had a good think and have a good idea what will look good for him .

ROFL is is doable but will be only 345 lumens 😥
    wont be untill I have got this run done and sorted though .

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,169 total)

The topic ‘Trouties New Light is on the way ( Update to all interested folks who emailed me’ is closed to new replies.