Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 2,739 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • moonwrasse
    Free Member

Dmc.
    Can you post some photos of the wiring and Di2 conversion please. Very interested in this as going to 11 speed/hydro when they are in stock, Had thought about possibly going Di2 but the thought of external wiring and zip ties had put me off.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks if you have any trouble getting a hanger let me know I sure I have one in stock.

matts
    Free Member

Looks great, dmc. 8) Are you happy with revs in the wheels? How much do you weight?

Do the Cowbells look good for road usage, while still offering extra control off road? I’m considering them for my build on that basis.

dmc
    Free Member

@ Matts

88kg no problems with the revs balance tentioned the wheels, feel stiff rims are solid though ! Cowbells look a little odd and they do come up pretty wide but very comfortable.

will post pictures of wiring etc later

Dc

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I ran a shortcage ultegra mech with a 11-30 cassette on a CX70 36/46 crankset without any issues?

Same here, but a 105 mech.

cinnamon_girl

Cowbells look a little odd and they do come up pretty wide but very comfortable.

dmc – please could you explain this, are they not true to size? They’ve been recommended on this thread but didn’t know about this. Thanks.

matts
    Free Member

I know they’re supposed to be measured c-c at the hoods. Do they feel different to that given the hoods sit at a slight angle?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Do they feel different to that given the hoods sit at a slight angle?

yes, they feel a lot better…

They look odd to a roadie as the levers are dropping at an angle…

eshoote
    Free Member

After riding my Tripster ATR in 17 countries, over 9000+km during 4.5 months I am finally back in the UK. Big thanks to everyone on here who has been following my travels.
    The bike is looking pretty worn out but it survived the Delhi airport baggage handlers and more importantly the trip itself. I was still loving the uber comfortable Tripster ride on Nepal and India’s death defying roads.

My bike should be going to a couple of bike shows in the new year and hopefully I’ll hold a couple of talks about the tour, so look out for details on twitter or my blog as it would be good to see you all there. Here’s my last review: more thorough thoughts on the tripster

A detour into one of India’s amazing sweet shops!

Racing the toy train in Darjeeling:

brassneck

Gratz eshoote, pretty sure you’ve ridden half way round the world before my frame has even been delivered 😀

Hell of an experience, that.

horts
    Free Member

I found all the pics and tips on this thread for mudguard installation very helpful and have made a post that hopefully might help others.

Installing mudguards on a Kinesis Tripster ATR.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

Nipper99, sent you an email for a rideout.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I checked the Packaging for my mudguards at the weekend and they are actually “54mm SKS Bluemells Trekking”
    I have still not tried them out yet, or set up my 2nd set of wheels with the 40c Conti CX tyres to see if they will fit under the guards too.

Hopefully get some shed time later in the week

birdage

So now this thread is being advertised on STW?
    Slightly surreal and confusing….

the_lecht_rocks

mine might be for sale in the new year depending on my impending move to the desert.

Sanny
    Free Member

How are folk liking Hydro brakes on their Tripsters? I’ve been running Spyre SLCs on my tester for grit.cx and have to say that they are blindingly good. The ease of set up, simplicity and power genuinely make me question whether the added complexity and expense is worth it? I briefly played on a set of the Shimano Hydro brakes and all I could think was meh! The Hope hydro efforts I tried just felt wooden compared to the TRPs.
    Having experienced the joys of overheating calipers and melted seals in years past, I’m hesitant to go Hydro as the combination of small rotors and long Alpine descents might be enough to bring back my experience of Hope brakes in years past. I may of course be wrong but I have this nagging doubt as to just how hydros will cope on the likes of the descent to Soller in Mallorca. Happy to be proven wrong if anyone has given them a proper shakedown? 😀

the_lecht_rocks

Stuck some Clark’s sintered into my lyras, abso superbo….

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’ve got the TRP HyRd’s on mine and while I haven’t had any issues with them I must admit I have wondered what they would be like on a really long descent. Sussex doesn’t exactly have any alpine length descents!

velosam
    Free Member

hi the_lecht_rocks, if you decide to split and there are a set of salsa cowbells going please drop me a line

thanks

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Some glowing red hot here…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_YREtBNCkI[/video]

Nipper99
    Free Member

After some tinkering the HYRDs are working fine with the 105 5600 levers – firm bight halfway through their travel, topped up fluid whilst working the piston in and out slightly bled out a bit or air togther with jagwire ripcord cables – all is now good. So much better than BB7s. Not on a Tripster mind but one of Singular Sam’s finest!

december 004 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

somafunk

Nice Peregrine, that’s most welcome here – i used to own one of the early 853 ones but unfortunately it was too big for me.

All white industries build including double/double gearing.

Not done much to my Tripster, still waiting on the cranks but they’ll be here next week so i carried on putting it together.

I had an initial problem with the USB charger headset expander bung (internal 24-26mm) as the Kinesis steerer tube is sized for an internal 22-24mm steerer bung.

So i improvised by using the Kinesis steerer bung and attacked it with the dremel, 10mins later and i had cut enough away to pass the usb charging wires through, i cut a small groove in the bottom plug as well for the wire to the dynamo to pass through.

I wired up the front Schmidt Edelux II light to the hub.

Wired up the rear Son K920 to the front headlight.

And wrapped the Jones Loop bars with Lizard sins tape.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

@somafunk – I want to get one of those Plug USB jobbies. Does the cable for that run up inside the fork? Did you have to drill a hole in the bottom?

somafunk

😳 yeah……….I had to drill a 2mm hole through the bottom of the crown so I could pass the Dynamo wire through, I was careful and used a depth gauge down the steerer tube to get an idea of where the crown was at its thickest and found the best spot to drill, the crown is a good solid chunk of carbon so hopefully I won’t have any issues.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

So how much was the Plug and where can I get one?

somafunk

I ordered direct from tout terrain and it was €159, delivery was 2days.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Cool, thanks 🙂

matts
    Free Member

Big Rubber?

Has anyone tried anything bigger than the Conti X-King 42s?

Schwalbe Smart Sam come in a 1.75″, Which might go in?

Nipper99
    Free Member

1.75 Smart Sams on my Peregrine up there.

matts
    Free Member

Any good? Do they fit in the Tripster frame and fork OK?

iainc

Sanny has a 1.8 Kenda Slant on the front of his I think..

Sanny
    Free Member

I sure do. The Kenda does fit the back but only barely and a slight wobble in the casing would cause rubbing. Given the clearance with the Conti 42s, I would be tempted by a Smart Sam on the back for the Monstercross look 😀

matts
    Free Member

Thanks. Might put a set of Sams on the Christmas list then.

pete68
    Free Member

Without going over all these pages,is anyone using Stans crest rims at all? And if you are then what size tyres with them. Cheers.

cloudnine
    Free Member

No reason why not to use one if you arent intending to use road tyres.
    Not sure what the difference is between the stans iron cross, grails and crests apart from some weight??

Sanny
    Free Member

For tubeless, I would go for Mavic 819 rims – light enough at 450 grams and properly tubeless.

I may well try ghetto tubeless on my Kinesis wheels to see how it works. They are tremendously good wheels for the money. As not a fan of pre made wheels, these have genuinely impressed me with their strength and low weight. I am hard on wheels but so far, these have stayed true despite my best attempts to ding them. 😀

Sanny

bugcab
    Free Member

Patience wearing thin, just been told Tripster frame coming January instead of previously promised December. Anyone know when they are launching next model and what updates may be coming?

matts
    Free Member

Yeah. Winstanley’s told me that on Nov 19th. Bit crap of your supplier not to tell you until now.

The expected date shows on the Upgrade Bikes page:

http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Frames/Kinesis/Kinesis-Tripster-ATR

the_lecht_rocks

I’m with Sanny. 5000km on my tripster and the supplied cx disc wheelset still running true and no loose spokes.
    I’ve cleaned and lubed the rear hub a few times but so far so impressed.
    I’ll try ghetto tubeless on this set if I buy another pair in the new year.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Nice spin today, not been out for a while, so really nice to be cruising along!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 2,739 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.