Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Triple or double chainset best if converting to 1x?
  • baldman
    Free Member

Hi folks

So which should I get if I want to be able to turn it in to a 1x set up.

Is a triple better (thinking I’d put the single ring in the middle for the best chainline position) or is it better to use a double, and the single ring goes on the outer position?

Not sure if the outer on a double is the same position as the middle on a single? Which option would give the best chainline?

Spec for my bike says it needs 50mm chainline if that makes a difference.

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

I use an XTR double, because that’s what the bike had, and it’s been fine, getting a chainring was a problem because its an 88mm BCD, but if you get the trail double, or any other groupset that’s not an issue.

Starting from scratch I’d probably get the triple to convert.

endurancenut
    Free Member

Maybe I’m missing the point, but you could just but a 1×10 chainset?

fathomer

I asked here last week and was advised on a triple, which I now have sat in the bottom of my wardrobe waiting for me to decide on a frame.

baldman
    Free Member

Thanks fathomer, hadn’t seen your post, must search first next time! Based on that and njee’s experience triple seems the best option.

endurancenut – sorry, I should have mentioned I want to have the option of running full range of gears and front mech too in case I don’t get on with 1x or going places with more hills.

endurancenut
    Free Member

You might want to consider a crank that has a detachable spider. You can then replace the spider with a chainring. I did this with a Truvativ X9 crank and MRP Bling Ring – just like this –

jambon
    Free Member

An SLX double is definitely different from a ‘standard’ triple. The only reason I know this is that a Stinger fits my SLX with no faffing but trying to get it to work with a RF triple I had no joy no matter what spacer arrangement I employed. Single ring looks like a better option though…

orangeboy
    Free Member

SRAM crank an bling ring for me works very well

Single speed uses a middle burn rs8 and UNO ring
    And also works perfect

reggiegasket
    Free Member

It also depends on what/whether you run a chainguard.

The bolt-less setups like the UNO and the X9 pictured above obviously won’t allow you to run a bashring, without a spider change.

FWIW, on both my bikes, I run a single 32t ring on a SLX double c/set with the ring on the inner position, and a bash on the outer, and a Straitline SilentGuide. Works a treat.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Triple or double chainset best if converting to 1x?’ is closed to new replies.