Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Double or Triple Chainset to run Single Ring?
  • fathomer

I know this has been asked before but I couldn’t find a conclusive answer. I’m currently buying bits for a new build which I plan to run 1×10. Am I better off with a double or triple for chainlines etc. Planning on XT cranks if it makes any difference?

And how much difference will I notice running 170mm arms having always used 175mm? All the frames I’m looking at have pretty low bottom brackets.

plyphon
    Free Member

Surely if you have 1 ring you just space it to the correct chainline regardless of what chainset it came from originally?

honourablegeorge

Triple, so you can use the middle position. BCD will suit most single rings too.

You’ll be hard pressed to tell 170 from 175, IMO

mangatank
    Free Member

Shortening the cranks will let you spin more quickly. Always a good thing in my opinion. The longer length is supposed to give more leverage off-road, but I never noticed a benefit when moving between 168mm Middleburn Duos and triple ring 175mm XT.

fathomer

Thanks fellas, triple 170mm it is unless anyone else has any pearls of wisdom?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Double or Triple Chainset to run Single Ring?’ is closed to new replies.