Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Trasition Covert VS Banshee Spitfire
  • greenwood103
    Free Member

Alright chaps just wondering what you reckon. Ill be using for AM but also a bit of DH. Im buying second hand in an XL if that changes your opinion at all.

Thanks,
    Alfie

mrblobby
    Free Member

If it’s second hand I’d do a bit of research into bearings/bushings on the spitfire, the older ones has problems. Otherwise a great bike.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Covert is a good choice for that sort of riding. They switched to through axles around 2012 if that matters to you. Paint seems to rub easily on the Covert but a very solid bike generally. I cannot comment on the Banshee.

mmel
    Free Member

Your not comparing like with like there Greenwood, the Covert has more in common with the Banshee Rune with 160mm travel

I have a Spitfire, it’s a great bike. The equivalent Transition product is the the Bandit and I did give that consideration before I splashed out. I’d say your more likely to get a Bandit second hand as they’ve been around a bit longer than the Mk.2 Spitty, but the older frames will limit you to 26″ wheels where as the Spitfire can run both.

I’d avoid the older Mk.1 Spitfire as it was quite a different design that used bushings instead of bearings for the suspension pivots…

mindmap3
    Free Member

I agree with mmel….the Rune is more like the Covert that the Spitfire.

They were two bikes that were on my list. Initially I was convinced that the Covert was the way to go, but a demo of them each changed my mind….and some aesthetic reasons. The Covert felt like a more fun bike in that it encouraged you to find stuff to pop off etc whereas the a Rune felt much more stable and faster. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a fun bike that can be jumped etc, but it feels like its best going really fast. I also liked the adjustability and the chance to future proof against 650b.

The other thing was the looks (sad I know). The ali Covert in medium looked really nice but in large it looks like a bit if a gate whereas the large Rune still looks quite compact.

AlexSimon

Another thing to consider is availability.
    Banshees have only just really become widely available in the UK (since moving to Ison distribution) so there probably wont be as many around second hand yet.

Whenever I look on Ebay there’s a Covert however.

greenwood103
    Free Member

@mmel and @mindmap3 that’s a good point about the rune. Im trying to avoid the rune as I have heard that it is actually a bit of a bitch to pedal. The problem is is that i’M 6′ 3″ so definitely need an XL. I can’t afford new and have been looking for a second hand XL covert for a good 2 months now and haven’t come across anything. Whereas there is a 2014 spitty for sale on pinkbike in XL at the moment

AlexSimon

2014 Spitfire sounds good to me if the price/colour is right!

greenwood103
    Free Member

Price is fine, really not bothered about colour. All bikes these days have fairly nice paintjobs. Comes with CCDB air so I just want to know if it will be able to handle UK downhill like a Transition Covert supposedly can

Sui
    Free Member

Banshee are shit, don’t get one.

So my Spitty doesn’t become common 😛

AlexSimon

It’s still a 140mm bike so don’t expect miracles, but it’s a burlyish one imo (I’ve only ridden the Banshees at a demo day, so only had a demo loop on each model).

Apart from the obvious weight difference, I certainly wouldn’t say the Rune was a poor climber though – climbed well imo (and that was without using the climb switch on the CCDBCS).

Edit – The trail bits of this are on a Spitfire:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-Jack-Fogelquist-Back-Home-at-Banshee-2014.html

goodgrief
    Free Member

I spend my time riding my spitfire at Innerleithen on the dh trails, the golf course and surrounding areas which are mostly steep and technnical. It doesn’t feel like a dh bike but it’s certainly not out of it’s depth and it gets back to the top easily.
    The fact you’ve managed to find an xl spitfire is enough justification for me, I doubt you’ll find another of either bike.

transition1
    Free Member

I am 6ft 1 & have a large Covert & Bandit, both fit me fine, I have a longer torso.
    Transition have sold out of XL Covert 27.5s

greenwood103
    Free Member

Transition1 do you think a Large would be too small for me? Transition said it would be but I spoke to someone else who reckoned it would be fine. I really dont want a stem longer than 50mm to be honest.

Yeah it doesn’t matter that theyre out of stock as I wouldnt be buying new anyway

greenwood103
    Free Member

Also I think up to 160 on a spitty is fine, I would go for 150mm, definitely not 140 though

mindmap3
    Free Member

@mmel and @mindmap3 that’s a good point about the rune. Im trying to avoid the rune as I have heard that it is actually a bit of a bitch to pedal. The problem is is that i’M 6′ 3″ so definitely need an XL. I can’t afford new and have been looking for a second hand XL covert for a good 2 months now and haven’t come across anything. Whereas there is a 2014 spitty for sale on pinkbike in XL at the moment

I think my Rune pedals really really well. It rides like a lighter bike than it is (it’s a shade over 32lbs) and I don’t have the climb switch. It climbs much better than my mates Enduro did and much better than my SX ever could. It’s no XC bike, but it doesn’t feel like too much of a tank. I had no issues in keeping up with XC boys in Swaledale.

The Cane Creek is fine on DH trails…mine has done Antur a couple of times plus BPW and local DH spots. It feels better than any air shock I’ve ridden before although I’ve not ridden loads.

A large Covert may be a bit small….I was in the range for a medium but it as too short for me whereas my large Rune feels spot on.

I’d go 160 on the Spitfire as I’m sure that’s what they’re designed around.

greenwood103
    Free Member

Thanks so much mindmap3, really appreciate the advice. I think a Covert is my first choice, rune 2nd and spitty 3rd. Unless a rune or covert comes up soon I guess Ill just go for the spitfire. I can always sell it on if an XL rune or covert comes up

transition1
    Free Member

Greenwood, Its only 2014 models that come in XL.
    2013 Coverts a Large is for 6ft-6ft 5″ on their website
    where are you based with regards of being able to demo one? Although most shops would only have the 27.5 Covert to demo

greenwood103
    Free Member

Transition1 , ah right I didn’t know that. I thought a Large was for 6′ to 6′ 3″?
    Im in the Forest of Dean
    To be honest I would prefer a 27.5

Cheers

philfive
    Free Member

Rune doesn’t pedal bad at all, I’ve smashed nearly all my all PR on strava it it is bags of fun.

transition1
    Free Member

Lodge Cycles or Muddy Bum are both Transition Dealers & am sure they have a demo although not sure if in a Large! Both down your way in Wales

greenwood103
    Free Member

Right lads, im going for it. Getting a carbon Covert in Large. Thanks for all the advice!!!
    😀
    Take it easy

chrishc777
    Free Member

Good choice, my Covert is the bestest thing ever. What colour and year?

greenwood103
    Free Member

2014 Orange/blue

greenwood103
    Free Member

Will have the Fox CTD BV not the Float though

chrishc777
    Free Member

Get a volume spacer in there then if you weigh over 75kgs. Otherwise it just eats travel.
    Internal cable routing is the one reason I wish I’d waited for a 2014 one, the 2013 external cable routing is shocking, and the paint rubs far too easily.

greenwood103
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice pal. Always found setting up the fox air shocks quite hard

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the ccdb inline to come out, I think I’ll be having one if they live up to the hype..

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Trasition Covert VS Banshee Spitfire’ is closed to new replies.