Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Transporting skis on the roof of the car?
  • sam_underhill

We’re driving down 4-up so the skis are going on the roof (just 2 pairs). So, what’s best best for fuel economy and noise?
    1) use a roof box (borrowed option is a full size large box)
    2) lash the skis in the ski bag to the bars (and make sure the bag is tight around the skis so it doesn’t flap about).

edit: damn… wrong forum. Mods, please feel free to move.

mossimus
    Free Member

You can get ski racks that attached to roof bars for about £40, these are lockable so good for security but will bugger up you fuel consumption.

Think I saved about £15 each way by sticking the skis in the car

Roblilly
    Free Member

I tied mine to the roof rack (bindings down) on VW beetle, had a snowboard tied the same and hit 90 on the M3. Some slight wind noise but no big deal

sam_underhill

I’m not keen on the proper ski carriers as the bindings are then subject to to salty road spray (even with bindings down). So if they are tied on I’ll have them in a fabric ski bag.

robertgray05
    Free Member

Uh I just tied mine onto roof bars… reckoned the road spray salt/crap would get washed off by the snow. Wiped them down afterwards. There’s no way I’m strapping my nice clean fabric bag onto the roof!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you can, get them in the car as the salt from the road wont do the edges, bindings or base any good.

Failing that I would put them in a roof box. Surely the airflow over a smooth item has got to be better than the airflow over skis? So therefore I would have though a box would give better mpg. Plus you can put lots of other stuff in.

Dave
    Free Member

http://www.sportube.com/pages/skis_one_pair.php

That’s the only way my skis would go on a roofrack

scotabroad

There was a similar discussion on snowheads last year and most folk with experience of modern roof boxes swore they did not affect economy that much, as long as you are not driving at Mach speed.

I would borrow the box if dont hav space inside the car for them.

sam_underhill

not driving at Mach speed

erm….. empty french motorways and 255bhp at my diposal……

drag is one of those square laws right? therefore I quess I’ll be making lots of drag with a big roof box.

I’m pretty certain they won’t go in the car comfortably with 4 people as well. So lashing them to the roof looks like the way to go. I don’t care about my tatty fabric bag. It’s been ruined by airport baggage handlers anyway.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Roof box

Not thats it’s an issue anyway but they don’t salt the roads in France.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Transporting skis on the roof of the car?’ is closed to new replies.