Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 3,508 total)
  • TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions
  • DanW
    Free Member

What do people watch whilst on the turbo?

Time on the turbo should be short, sharp and focused IMO. You shouldn’t have time to fanny around watching stuff 😀 It’s been discussed a lot before but I am not a big believer in doing long, low intensity sessions indoors.

adsh
    Free Member

^Diametric opposite. I’m hoping to do 8hrs quality Z2 base this week. No time to get out on the road until the weekend and no point (for me) in doing HIT at this stage so turbo and Netflix it is.

Kryton57

I thought that’s what sweet spot base was for. IMO if you have 8 hours free to sit on a turbo you should be outdoors.

Oh and I’m in the Rock/eurotrance in headphones focused session camp.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s been discussed a lot before but I am not a big believer in doing long, low intensity sessions indoors.

At the risk of re-opening the discussion… 🙂

These days I don’t differentiate much between indoor and outdoor road. It’s more a case of what’s on the plan and can I get outside to do it. If I can’t get out then I’ll do it on the turbo. Even if that is 3hrs of z2. Think there’s more benefit from doing that sort of work outside (specificity mostly) but that’s not always an option.

mrchrispy

Just did Bear Creek 30 in the gym at work.
    Have to manually match the power with what TR says but jebus it was hard.
    I still feel sick

gazhurst
    Free Member

Even if that is 3hrs of z2.

Im quite happy to do 2 or 3hrs of Z2 on the turbo but I find I struggle with comfort of the derrier after about 50mins.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Im quite happy to do 2 or 3hrs of Z2 on the turbo but I find I struggle with comfort of the derrier after about 50mins.

Can be a problem here too. Took a lot of messing about to get the right short pad, saddle and setup and now I’m usually fine up to 2hrs. Starts to get a bit sore on the sit bones after that. Sometimes will change shorts mid session if they are getting very sweaty too.

I’m tempted to experiment with an Adamo on the turbo. They are quite padded for sit bones and have the big pressure relief thing in the middle.

Be interested to hear how others cope with long turbo work….?

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

It was my first long session and I put a thread up else where as a result of getting seriously numb nuts…when I come to do that length of time again I’ll have to change something to avoid numbness..

Re indoor/out…everybody’s reason for turbo work is contextual…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Over 90 minutes, even on the rollers, it’s a case of HTFU I’m afraid.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

my nads got hot today. all the fun of the fair

adsh
    Free Member

thought that’s what sweet spot base was for. IMO if you have 8 hours free to sit on a turbo you should be outdoors.

I’m willing to put the time in for trad and solid base. I can do this if I’m efficient with time. 0530 start for 1.5hrs then an hour when back from work. In this weather that does not mean screwing arounf with lights and winter clothing. The aim is quality time in zone – surely how it’s achieved is utterly immaterial?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

2/3 hours of Z2 indoors on a turbo, when the weather isn’t that bad outdoors, still warm, bit windy, but quite dry
    you must be crackers, does no one ride outdoors anymore, just for the sake of riding a bit?

DT78
    Free Member

I find much more than an hour on the roadie and I suffer with numb bits. I’ve bought an adamo for exactly the same reason as you (and for longer tts). Yet to try it as I need another seat post to swap straight over with minimal faff.

For longer work in the past I’ve used my hard tail which Is more upright and has a lot more comfy saddle

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m 5 weeks into the Short Power Build plan and i’m definitely feeling stronger.

Did Foerster this morning https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2573900-Foerster

That was an ugly one!

gazhurst
    Free Member

you must be crackers, does no one ride outdoors anymore, just for the sake of riding a bit?

I would love to ride outdoors for 2 or 3 hours. the main reason for me not doing so is mainly due to where I live and the roads around here. I get home from work at around 6 which realistically means 7 before I get the chance to get out. I then have Heathrow and London rush hour traffic to contend with which kind of ruins my motivation

mrblobby
    Free Member

The aim is quality time in zone – surely how it’s achieved is utterly immaterial?

Think there is a benefit to road as the feel of the turbo can be very different. You’re training your body to become very efficient at the specific action of pedalling. On a turbo the action will be subtly different. If you can’t get out though I reckon it’s still worth putting the z2 hours in on the turbo.

Range on the baby monitor is unfortunately quite limited 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

Over 90 minutes, even on the rollers, it’s a case of HTFU I’m afraid.

If you can’t get out though I reckon it’s still worth putting the z2 hours in on the turbo.

I’m hoping to do 8hrs quality Z2 base this week.

Indoors, I’d argue that over 90 minutes isn’t a case of HTFU, it is more a case of “be smarter”.

What do you guys hope to achieve from longer than 1.5 hour Z2 turbo sessions that Z3 or even Z4 work with the correct recovery wouldn’t give you?

Tons of Z2 is fine if you are at 20+hours a week and genuinely need the volume but for the average person long Z2 turbo sessions aren’t as efficient a use of time as other alternatives IMO. Save your sanity too! If you do them for blindly following a “plan” then this most likely is expecting a 3 hours outdoor Z2 ride which is very different in terms of actual time spend in Z2 and other benefits like the specificity of saddle on bum time and the actual cycling aspects of cycling 😀

2/3 hours of Z2 indoors on a turbo, when the weather isn’t that bad outdoors, still warm, bit windy, but quite dry

😆 Can’t agree more. You guys don’t know how lucky you are to have that amount of free time!

ferrals
    Free Member

does no one ride outdoors anymore, just for the sake of riding a bit?

Difficult with a 9-5 and rubbish lights. turbo in the week, ride and race on the weekend. I’ve not done any base on the turbo, beyond half hour recovery-esque spins.

I also think intervals are far better done on the turbo, more repeatable. I’ll be doing chimneys this evening

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

None of my time on the rollers is spent specifically training at Z2, (unless I’m trying to sweat some cold out of my body like today. Homers Nose at a TSS of 42)

I do however spend up to 2 hours on them.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Rubbish lights isn’t even an excuse 😆 20
    Quid on ebay gets you as much light as you need

adsh
    Free Member

It’s not free time, it’s sleep time.

I’d like to achieve 275W (3.8w/kg) at Z2 to help me perform better at 12hr events and do the Ridgeway Double in under 14hrs. Currently at 250W (3.4w/kg)so a tough ask.

I’m not sure that chart takes account of training the different fat burning energy pathway?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d like to achieve 275W (3.8w/kg) at Z2 to help me perform better at 12hr events and do the Ridgeway Double in under 14hrs. Currently at 250W (3.4w/kg)so a tough ask.

Big ask if you’re already trained. Lots of long slow fasted rides?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

How much difference do you think training fasted makes to your performance?

I always do my turbo sessions before breakfast. It fits in with my day better and I find it more comfortable than having a meal in my belly at the same time. Assume its good for consistency if nothing else.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

How much difference do you think training fasted makes to your performance?

Rate it highly, I do all my morning runs and bike sessions up to 2 hours on coffee alone. I feel much better for it, both whilst training and after it.

gazhurst
    Free Member

I do all my morning runs and bike sessions up to 2 hours on coffee alone

But doesn’t that take away the main reason for doing fasted training? Correct me if I’m wrong (it sometimes happens) but I thought fasted training was to be performed on nothing but water? (although I do seem to remember reading that coffee without milk or sugar could be consumed so forgive me if thats your diet :o)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Stove top, strong and black.

But your point is valid, however my understanding is that its generally seen as training with no carbs, protein, fat consumed in the morning before training.

gazhurst
    Free Member

Fair one!!!

I wish I had the drive to do my training before leaving for work!

I’d have to be on the bike by 5am latest though realistically!

Kryton57

I’ve done that gaz, and as hard as it is to motivate yourself you do end up bouncing around with energy like a spring chicken at work – yet another benefit (maybe).

I’m about to get home late so my Tues/Weds/Thurs has changed to Wed/Thurs/Friday with 100k frosty road on Sunday, trying to work out when I squeeze a beer in!

adsh
    Free Member

^ maybe on day 1 and 2. Currently the stairs are a challenge!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I do my 25 mile 5am ish commutes fasted (when I did them) prefer the extra 5 mins in bed rather than eating some ceral at that time of day 😆

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Currently alarm going off at 6am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On the turbo for 6:15 for an hour. The shower, breakfast, work by 9am.

The Sat / Sunday sessions are still done before breakfast but a bit later than 6:15am!

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve not risked a 6am turbo yet – living in a small semi-detached I’m not sure its fair either on my wife or the neighbours!

whitestone
    Free Member

Tunnabora tonight, just about on the money as I might have been able to do another ladder set or maybe not 🙄

everyone
    Free Member

Tunnabora for me as well last night. Legs felt like rubbish so I wasn’t pushing myself really hard cadence wise. I only did 2 of the intervals at 120rpm, the others I topped out at 110 (very manageable for me)

ferrals
    Free Member

Question: last week, this week and I will for some on next week, I’ve been following the last three weeks of the cx plan to bridge me over between races. However I’m not going to be able to do anything from Friday-Tues due to people coming to stay meaning I have to dismantle my pain cave. I’m hoping to get a light recovery style jog in on Friday. THe following Tues I’ll be able to so a real wolrd ride.

I’m thinking to to a more intense workout than prescribed tomorrow to make up for not doing anything over the w/e? Does tat seem sensible or should I just keep to plan and skip the workouts?

Bearing in mind I don’t think I’m quite as fatigued as I could be as I’ve not done the full plan just jumped in for a gap between races.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The would be the a good solution to your situation, something like Givens +3 from the plan.

However can you not ride some hill repeats one morning before the household wakes up? You’ll be done in 30 minutes and will most likely be in a better mood for it, (I know I would be).

Garry_Lager

Do as you’re told is a good one, ferrals, if you fancy a harder one. Did that the other night and thought it was good for cyclocross – a couple of the latter intervals have 20 secs rest. Found it harder than revolver, which is my usual choice for a beast of a workout – think revolver is prob more intense, but the regularity makes it a bit easier to deal with.

ferrals
    Free Member

The Swedish Chef – Member
    However can you not ride some hill repeats one morning before the household wakes up? You’ll be done in 30 minutes and will most likely be in a better mood for it, (I know I would be).

Normally, yes, but not only is it my wife’s birthday but it’s my folks that are coming to stay so I think it would be pushing it..

edit. I adjusted on of the stock TR workouts to make this the other day which I think replicates cx starts:
    sprint_OverUnder

jam-bo

Kurt kinetic cheap on Amazon for the next hour or so

Kinetic Road Machine 2 Trainer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F4TVDJY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_QVltwbS6TGM5V

Kryton57

I was doing so well at Huffaker, I decided to up the workout a couple of % in the latter stages… ooof.

Although – serious question – my legs were hurting and the last 30 secs of the last interval were hard to focus on the green bar I didn’t feel the need to blow chunks – perhaps I should push up my FTP a bit?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 3,508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.