Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • train prices……..robbing buggers.
  • ton

neither myself or the wife can drive at present, so we thought about buying a weekly rail pass and doing a bit of exporing on the trains.

turns out if i was a visitor i would be laughing little apples.

Britrail pass for a non uk resident £193
    National rail all line rover for uk resident £731 with restriction

i am proper gobsmacked.

rwamartin
    Free Member

It’s suprising what you can save if you know do some investigation.
    If you’ve got some specific destinations in mind try

trainsplit which can work out cheap split ticket routes.

Rich.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Shouldn’t have to work out split tickets etc. It’s an utter disgrace that trains cost that much. Stansted express forty mins from the airport that’ll be 25 quid please. Appalling

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Why not bus it? A better choice of small places to go, and locals to talk to, not people too busy to talk as they’re going somewhere to do “important” stuff.
    Your back might not thank you though…

CraigW
    Free Member

The Britrail pass is a special price to encourage tourists to visit, and travel around GB etc. Its not for people travelling long distances everyday.

And you’re probably not comparing equivalent prices. That is £731 for a 1st class all lines rover, for 7 days. Only £483 for standard class. Plus 1/3 off with a railcard.

And do you really need a rover for the whole of Great Britain? It would be cheaper just to get one specific area. You could get a cheap advance ticket to Glasgow or Edinburgh, then get a Scotland pass for £180 for 8 days (including ferries).

Drac

It’s a right rip off. Family of 4 Edinburgh return cost me £17 during the school holidays for 200 mile round trip. On top of that it also gave us but one get one free into the dungeons.

😀

scotroutes

Is there no equivalent of Scotrail Club 50 down your way Tony?

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve given up. East Midlands trains wanted £103 for a London return. £103 to sit (or more likely stand) in a tube full of other people’s farts and BO. Drove down to stanmore and got the tube for £7.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s a right rip off. Family of 4 Edinburgh return cost me £17 during the school holidays for 200 mile round trip. On top of that it also gave us but one get one free into the dungeons.

Booked when ?

I can get from aberdeen to glasgow for 11 quid return…..great but i need to book 3 months in advance.

Or i can drive down when i need to (i rarely know more than a week in advance so its 40 quid each return)pay for parking and drive home with the 2 of us and still have enough left over for a full service on the car…..

Drac

Mid July for end of July using a free family and friends rail card.

We use it the train all the time to go Newcastle with the kids as it costs about £5 more than driving with no hassle. It also means we can both have a drink.

We bought a rail card when the free one ran out it cost us £20.

Priced midweek for end of September and we can go to Edinburgh return for £19.80

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Outside rush hour trains are fine. I don’t own a car and use the train to move me and the bike around. A bit pissed off by the Severn Tunnel closure as I fancied West Wales and BPW over the next few weeks but WTH.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘train prices……..robbing buggers.’ is closed to new replies.