Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • trails off the M74?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Driving to Glasgow on monday for work and want to ride for under 2 hours, was thinking Ae but at 24k might be too long – any other suggestions? Maybe Mabie?

iainc

Drumlanrig ? 20 mins west from the motorway and great trails.

EDIT – website says its shut for winter 🙁

julzm
    Free Member

10 mins from junction 2a Cambuslang (outskirts of Glasgow) cathkin braes commonwealth games trail. It’s only. 3.5 miles per lap but you could do a few laps. Average lap time is 25 – 30 mins but plenty feature in it.

Trekster

Depends on your fitness you`ll get round Ae in 2hrs nae bother. Cafe is closed on Monday I think. None at Mabie.
    Yes to Mabie.
    Road works on A75 at Carrutherstown, be prepared for some delays.
    Might still be diversions at Torthorwald if coming off at Lockerbie but you can get to Ae via a few back roads. Lockerbie, Lochmaben, Parkgate to Ae. 💡
    Back onto motorway via Moffat.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Listen to trekster. Cathkin is utter dung, avoid.

althepal

Och Cathkins pretty decent for what it is.. a short lap race circuit designed to be used by mortals.. Drumlanrig is good though..

Bushwacked
    Free Member

So, trekster, are you saying its a better bet to do mabie if im short on time?

haggis1978

As is sh1t
    Drumlanrog is shut
    Mabie is good and worth a jaunt definitely.

Trekster

If you are short on time Ae is best due to having to negotiate Dumfries and the various road works dotted about town causing chaos 🙄 pot luck depending on what time you hit town.

Ae is nearer A75/Moffat, could be another 1/2hr added on each way if you go to Mabie. Lots of mobile road blocks(tractors)around to add to the roadworks chaos.

Might take a wee bit longer to get round Ae but that’ll be offset by the extra time taken to get to Mabie and back out again towards Moffat and passing by Ae!

Being my local trails I like and ride them all, mostly Ae atm.

Ae is a bit shorter than it used to be, smoother(surfaced)in some areas and rougher(washed out)in others.
    Not been to Mabie recently so can’t comment on current conditions and rarely do the main route 😉 Think there is still a diversion on Elevator due to either forestry works or the trees the we’re blocking the trail may not have been removed or trail repaired?

I’ve got a day off on Mon, all week actually 😆

Bushwacked
    Free Member

OK, might hit up Ae then on Monday. I’d suggest hooking up but haven’t a clue what time I’ll actually get there – Coming up from Cheltenham.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

WHat sort of average time will Ae take? from checking back I can do GT red is around 1hr40 / 1hr50 if that acts as a yardstick

Trekster

Just allow yourself about the same. If short on time the shortcut back down the forest road to the car park from Turbine Alley/the Edge is always a good option.
    Ae rewards a bit of effort. Usual slog of a climb at the start, followed by a flowy bit with a couple of steep short climbs. Then Granny Greenlove which rewards a bit of attack, smooth to start with then gets a bit rougher at the tabletops. Then down the newly repaired descent and over the bridge to climb the Face. The next section is Bran Burn, bit of a climb to start with then a nice flowy descent to a forest road climb up to Turbine Alley. This starts of smooth and simple followed by a few big berms and tabletops. The smooth bit degenerates into a narrow singletrack where it joins the old Edge. Guy recently broke ribs, collar bone and knocked himself out here!!
    Climb out of the Edge and the start the 21bends climb up towards a wind turbine. Join the forest road and head towards the Stane Heid(head).
    Down Omega Man which has a couple of sharp climbs, through the bomb hole, climb a bit more before descending the last section.
    Should be done easily under the 2hrs. Can be rough in places so no low tyre pressures 💡
    Can pm you my mobile?

Quick look at mobile maps reckons it is a 5hr journey to Dumfries 😯

bren2709

You will get round Ae in 1hr 45 mins easily and that’s not pushing it.
    Also it’s only extra 10-15 mins from the M74. I always turn off at Johnstonebridge and head across that way, not the best if you don’t know the area.

Trekster – looks like you could be doing some guiding this week 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Sweet – thanks for the heads up. Will be heading Ae then. Comes recommended by a friend so got to give it a go really. I can justify 1.45hrs but not 2.5-3hrs

Trekster – my email is barnt at hotmail dot com

Trekster

Trekster – looks like you could be doing some guiding this week

nothing new there 😆

Way I look at is that if you’ve not been you need to give it a go and decide for yourself 💡 personally I or most of my riding buddies have not been to GT/Inners for quite some time. With Kirry being an 1hr away and the Lakes 1.1/2hrs it’s an easy choice 😉

YGM. Hope my old knees feel better tomorrow than they do atm…..

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Trekster – ygt

Trekster

Bushwacked – Member
    Trekster – ygt

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    No mail or text?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Wierd, I texted you as soon as I got the email. Ill try again.

Trekster

That was a good blast. Hope you got to Glasgow safely, met an ambulance with blues flashing on the way back home!

These are the holiday cottages we saw from the trail

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah, really enjoyed it and will be back now I know whats its like. Knackered now but maybe that my soft southern-Ness coming out. Cheers.

Trekster

Wee bit about the Borders and Ae. Skip to 15mins for the bit about 7Stanes and Ae http://www.itv.com/news/border/story/2014-01-06/border-life/

Frazer is the wee brother of the guy we were talking to in the car park.
    http://www.stevepeatsyndicate.com/2013/04/25/frazer-mccubbing/

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Still dont believe 1hr13!

Trekster

Still dont believe 1hr13!

On a Mondracker Dune…..

http://www.sportident.co.uk/results/2014/scottishenduroround1/enduro.html

Check results, Callum = 17th

Then take out all the guys who are sponsored riders and those who competed in the new Euro series last year, boy done good!!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

He’s done good – must be something in the iron bru!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘trails off the M74?’ is closed to new replies.