Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 26in trail tyres. ideas please
  • adrec
    Free Member

Need a new set for my Autumn escapades. Don’t want to spend a fortune, about 50-60quid for the pair. Thinking 2.1 nobby nics or specialized purgatory control. They’ll be going on a 26giant trance used for trail riding wales and the lakes throughout winter, so they need to be ok with rocks, mud and wet roots.

Cheers chaps

discoduck
    Free Member

MAXXIS High Rollers ?

Dual Ply for rock protection ?

42a up front for that bit of extra grip on the rocks ?

headpotdog
    Free Member

Bontrager XR4??

Done a few rides with a Team Issue version on the front & it’s been really good on the rocks, roots & moors here in Yorkshire. Very confidence inspiring, so I’ve now bought a standard version for the rear too which is a bargain at £21.99.

Just watch out for the size though. I initially bought a 2.35″ and it barely fit inside my Reba’s. I swapped that for a 2.2 & even that it bigger than the 2.35 Panaracer Rampage I replaced it with.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Got a lot of love for 2.25 maxxis Ardents at the moment. Got them on my nomad low enough drag to pedal enough grip for riding DH. Kinda like a Minion lite.

kayak23

I like an ardent too. People seem to suggest they can’t handle wet and mud but I’ve found no tyre that does any better. Great all round and fast rolling.

iainc

I use both 2.25 Ardents and 2.3 Purgatory’s on my Soul. I think the Purgs are better all round and cope better in wet stuff than the Maxxis, which for me are best on dry rocky trails or trail centres

maroonbells
    Free Member

Butcher Control on the front, reeaaly good. You just know it going to grip and keep gripping.

tomaso
    Free Member

For rocky Lakeland rides dual ply Minion on the rear is superb – not the lightest but mine take such a battering and hold up brilliantly and do not never ever puncture :mrgreen:

I used to recommend a similar Minion dual ply on the front but have been “getting away” with an On One Chunky Monkey trail extreme. Really good tyre for greasy rock chutes and traversing slippery roots as well as just general hooning. Oh and they are very cheap.

clubber
    Free Member

TWENTY

SIX

INCH

ARE YOU MAD!? YOU’LL DIE. YOU NEED 27″ NOW TO MAKE THE TRAILS COME ALIVE!!!!!!!

Maxxis Ignitors for me BTW.

adrec
    Free Member

Are nobby nics a no go then? Seen a couple of places where they’re going cheap. Prob just being a tight arse, should just spend what needs to be spent on some nice maxxis high rollers. Guess they’re popular for a reason!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘26in trail tyres. ideas please’ is closed to new replies.