Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Track session tonight!
  • rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Just decided to go for my first ever track session tonight at the new track in Bournemouth. Apparently with a bunch of other MTB riders from Ride in Parkestone (any of you lurking on here?).

Anyway, I’ve only ever once had a go on a fixie and that was a MTB.

Any tips?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Here it is BTW

Website

Mike_D
    Free Member

Don’t stop pedalling 🙂

Need to check out that track, looks good 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

+1 DO NOT stop pedalling or you will be in a world of pain and confusion!

You’ll know when you’re ready to go up the banking as your speed adn confidence will have increased.

Oh – and don’t steer. Just hold the bars lightly – the bike will find its own way – it’s a track bike – it tracks.

samuri
    Free Member

That looks nice. Everyone will tell you not to stop pedalling and you’ll nod and agree that you won’t, but there will be times when you forget. A good one is at the end of a sprint as you cross the finishing line. Don’t stop pedalling. 😉

Try not to back pressure on the pedals too, slowing down can be achieved by heading up the banking, this is also a good method of avoiding things in front of you.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Oh – and don’t steer. Just hold the bars lightly – the bike will find its own way – it’s a track bike – it tracks.

You’ve not ridden at Calshot, have you? 😉

MikeWW
    Free Member

Put pressure on the pedals as you go into and through the corners then relax down the straights. The banking is your brake so if you want to slow down just move up the banking or come down a bit to accelerate.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Have done Calshot a few times, great fun, makes me grin loads so have fun & don’t stop pedalling!

Ashley
    Free Member

Bournemouth is much easier to ride than Calshot – but the same rules apply – don’t stop peddaling. There is more space (width), the banks aren’t as steep but when you are up the top – it is a long way down!!

Oh and enjoy!

tonyd

Not sure I agree with letting the bike steer itself, but I’ve only ridden track at Calshott which is apparently a shorter track so tighter turns? There I was told to put weight on the bar with my left (inside) hand and it helped a lot.

If it’s your first track session then pace yourself, my first couple I was almost throwing up half way through 🙂 Also, if you’re riding in a peloton/train (right word?) then trust that the bloke in front won’t slow down as if he does you’re both toast. Likewise, if you have someone on your wheel don’t slow down.

supertramp
    Free Member

I used to race (and coach) pursuit on the track many years ago. My advice is take it slowly and make sure you are comfortable and confident before trying to build up any speed, the track is pretty unforgiving to the impatient.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Well, I’ll add that to my list of things I’m glad I tried once.

Quite liked whizzing round when I was on my own but I didn’t like getting too close to the other riders and the top of those banks is a long way up.

Managed to not stop pedalling.

Think I’ll stick to the MTB though.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Not sure I agree with letting the bike steer itself, but I’ve only ridden track at Calshott which is apparently a shorter track so tighter turns?

Yes. On a full-length track you can pretty much pretend it’s a straight line unless you’re spectacularly fast. Try that at Calshot and you’re in the stands, as people used to long tracks occasionally find out 😉

I didn’t like getting too close to the other riders

That’s the best bit 🙂 Better with people you know. As long as everyone knows what they’re doing it’s OK.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve only ever ridden the track at Manchester’s Velodrome which is a full size track.

The bike found its own way.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Track session tonight!’ is closed to new replies.