Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 286 total)
  • Tour de France stage 12 – Montpellier > Ventoux – Half of a legend
  • leffeboy

Yep. Moto blocked by spectators. Froomes bike got broken. Neutral bike had wrong pedals (from tv)

scaredypants

that video ! 😯

I can’t see them letting the times stand on arrival at the top, though IMO it’d still be froome’s tour even if they did (assuming uninjured)

scaredypants

6km worth of crowd pissed-up arseholes moved back down the road made it a bit of a squeeze

presumably, on usual form anyway

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Well, that was a bit of a cluster ****.

teamslug
    Free Member

I bet Porte’s chin is sore. Looks like he chin butted the back of the moto.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

French TV says road was blocked by spectators so motobike had to stop

Seems to be the only scenario that matches the video from the back of the moto.

leffeboy

1-200m block of spectators where nothing could pass (tv)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Did Porte finish?

lunge

Yep, ahead of Nairo etc. I think.

martinhutch

Provisionals have Froome back in fifth sixth now. Are they really going to present Yates the yellow in these circumstances?

EDIT: Apparently not!

geetee1972
    Free Member

‘Panicked huddle’

I’d say

Yetiman
    Free Member

Richie

“The crowd was all over the road and the motorbike just stopped, we had nowhere to go. [Froome] was on my wheel, he went straight into the back of me. We were 23 seconds ahead, it’s not fair… it can’t stand, surely the jury has to look at it and use a bit of discretion. The crowd are in your face the whole time, pushing riders… at the top, that was just crazy.”

dragon
    Free Member

Well if Froome had been looking were he was going and not at his stem then he probably could have avoided it.

jimdubleyou

Did Porte finish?

Yep, ahead of Nairo etc. I think.[/quote]

30 sec down.

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2016/us/stage-12/classifications.html

igm

I bet there’s some world class Euro-British negotiations going on at the moment.

Theresa if you need some experienced negotiators…

ctk
    Free Member

Cant believe what went on!

Ridiculous.

Give him and Porte Mollema’s time I reckon

Bunnyhop

I hope Stannard is ok 🙁

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Result should stand, it would be even more farcical to dish out random times to riders. And its a bike race surely running without one is against the rules??

No doubt riders will whine which ever way it goes 😡

whitestone
    Free Member

When the red 1Km kite fell on to Adam Yates and also held up the peloton a few stages ago they adjusted the times though in that instance it wasn’t a mountain finish so had the timing mats at the 3Km mark and could work out time differences and be able to adjust them.

igm

Give him and Porte Mollema’s time I reckon

Sensible option. Not a mechanical. Not an unforced error. Crowd interference caused the issue – nowt to do with the racers.
    And even Mollema will have lost 10-30 seconds against the chasing pack due to the crash so it’s not doing down the other GC guys.

geetee1972
    Free Member

And its a bike race surely running without one is against the rules??

I doubt it. You may find that the rider needs to cross the line on an actual bike but completing distance within the stage without one is unlikely to be against the rules.

Stoner
    Free Member

tpbiker
    Free Member

what an absolute joke, no way can that result stand. I’d be embarrased to pick up the yellow in those circumstances. Obvious decision is to give sametime as Mollenma. If not and Froom is down to 6th then it makes the whole tour result totally irrelevant.

Notter
    Free Member

Wow that’s scary! I think the riders are entitled to whine at that one!
    Times surely have to be adjusted, no rider error at all and the time turnaround that was a. on the cards, and b. that actually transpired would be a p*ss take!

martinhutch

If only he could make a deal with God, get him to swap their places…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Commentators seemed to suggest there were no rules to cover crowd interference, just moto mechanicals. So there’s no guide on if and how times should be adjusted in this sort of scenario. Guess you can’t just make up rules on the fly 😕

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I barely ever watch pro rider stages, but https://streamable.com/cqiw looks completely ridiculous to me, the motorcyclists and racers should have all the tarmac to themselves, free of spectators.

If this was rallying, this stage would be scrapped.

tpbiker
    Free Member

the nice thing to happen would have been for the other riders to neutrilise the race. never going to happen however.

teamslug
    Free Member

from Froomes twitter feed….Awaiting jury decision

ads678

Froomes and Portes times can’t stand they had absolutely dicked on Quintana. His race was over but if the result stands he’d be right back in it.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

they should consult the Labour Party NEC for a quick check of the rule book…

mrblobby
    Free Member

the nice thing to happen would have been for the other riders to neutrilise the race. never going to happen however.

By the time they got there (some 30s down the road) they’d have no idea what was going on or what happened.

ocrider

French telly said that the rule concerning road blockages could be interpreted to include crowds, but its all hypothesising

Stoner
    Free Member

It seems the race judges are trying to understand if they can take the times at the moment that Froome, Porte and Mollema crashed.

from http://live.cyclingnews.com/

martinhutch

It is effectively a road blockage, whether it’s a bunch of pissed-up spectators or a train, or a herd of cows.

dragon
    Free Member

TBF did the other riders see it? If not you can hardly expect them to stop and wait.

Unfortunately the race is victim of its own success.

dragon
    Free Member

TBF did the other riders see it? If not you can hardly expect them to stop and wait.

Unfortunately the race is victim of its own success.

whitestone
    Free Member

@mrblobby – you can’t realistically have rules covering *everything*, quite often they get introduced retrospectively in response to incidents like this, but the general guidelines can be applied. In effect it’s the commissaires’ wiggle room.

igm

If they don’t neutralise it, what stops fans blocking the route in say the mountain TT after their favourite rider has gone by?

It would just get silly.

Andy

martinhutch – Member
    If only he could make a deal with God, get him to swap their places…

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 286 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France stage 12 – Montpellier > Ventoux – Half of a legend’ is closed to new replies.