Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 286 total)
  • Tour de France stage 12 – Montpellier > Ventoux – Half of a legend
  • Notter
    Free Member

Thanks beej.

ninfan
    Free Member

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/07/news/the-froome-incident-through-the-eyes-of-mavic-neutral-service_414703

Jacques (neutral support car driver) is one of the coolest customers known to man, ridiculously experienced – having known him personally for some years I can guarantee if anything more could have been done at the time then it would have been. If the moto driver was the bloke I think it was (and I suspect it was given his brother was on the back) then again he is one of the most experienced and switched on people in the business.

anagallis_arvensis

Could Froome have ‘borrowed’ a bike from a specy?

Already beaten to it but yes he could Jens Voight used a kids bike in the mountains years ago to avoid the time cut

TiRed

Pleased with the decision, despite my fantasy team suffering – come on Adam!

Not sure why Mavic can’t keep a Medium or M/L bike on each side of the neutral service car with Shimano cleats on one side of the car and Look on the other. Or why not have one pedal of each type on the bike – riders won’t be on it for long! Riders on Speedplay and Time deserve what they get 😉

Think Froome panicked and doesn’t know the rules in detail, otherwise it would have been a spectator’s bike.

crazy-legs

Already beaten to it but yes he could Jens Voight used a kids bike in the mountains years ago to avoid the time cut

No, that was another neutral service bike. I was at a talk that Jens gave last year, he told the whole story of that incident. He was really funny, everyone there was crying with laughter as he told it (plus many other incredible stories of his time as a pro).

The neutral bikes are rebadged Canyons but they come with toeclips and straps since obviously riders use all manner of Shimano, Look, Speedplay, Garmin Vector pedals so in theory they’re designed to at least be pedal-able by any shoe although it feels really weird.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

what a discrace

That would have been even worse! Imagine if they had discs?

OH TEH HORRORZ!

singletrackmind

or 26″ wheels !

xyeti
    Free Member

Well that ended better than expected for Froome, Timewise i mean, Porte lucky to get away without clattering his face on that Amplifier thing on the back of the motorbike and then Froome’s bike taking a hit from a Motorbike behind. Possibly protecting the 3 of them as they lay sprottled across the deck, there was NO way Mollenma was observing the “Respect YELLOW” unwritten rule he was up and off.

Tough guys though, one minute tapping out a steady pedal stroke, the next flat out on Tarmac.

Its a shame as i wanted to see who was having who between Froome & Porte for the line.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wanted to see who was having who between Froome & Porte for the line.

Agreed. I think Mollema might be having sour grapes now as he knows that he’d have been gapped by the two old teammates slugging it out. Porte looked very, very strong.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Rocket etc thanks on rule

That would have been even worse! Imagine if they had discs?

OH TEH HORRORZ!

OMG yes, there could have been a deaf or some-fink 🙂

yosemitepaul

If everyone agrees on the Commissars decision to award the Yellow Jersey to Froome, why did the crowd boo when he was given it?

xyeti
    Free Member

Because in the past there have been at least one incident where riders have been knocked off by Motor Veh’s the commissaire’s rule was to leave the standings as is,

And i’m sure not everyone Booood, just the one’s who dont like Brits winning the TDF, Repeatedly.

ninfan
    Free Member

There’s a lot of French who, shall we say, don’t quite believe his performance is entirely unaided. I don’t think that winter training in remote parts of Africa has helped that much either.

anagallis_arvensis

No, that was another neutral service bike.

Pretty sure it wasnt, it was a bike from a kids race earlier in the day done up in yellow livery. The neutral service and all the others had left.

anagallis_arvensis

ninfan
    Free Member

Only if it was a kids bike with a Mavic sticker, wheels, Campag gruppo, clips and straps and a (rather rare) set of Mavic SSC brakes

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

just the ones who don’t like Brits anyone who isn’t French, especially if they’re perfidious Anglo-saxons, winning the TDF, Repeatedly.

FTFY.

anagallis_arvensis

Well you can click on the link and listen to Jens and see if you think he’s made it up..your choice

butcher

Cycling is going to be on the news for all the wrong reasons..

Maybe. But it was quite entertaining. Good bit of theatre today!

In fact for the first couple of weeks, this TdF has been quite entertaining. And even the haters must be warming to Froome now? All out attacks on descents and in breaks. Jogging..! What next?

ninfan
    Free Member

A_A – You understand how ‘true dit’s’ work

Sometimes stories are better in the reselling than real life

Now pull up a sandbag while I tell you a true tale [swings lamp]

anagallis_arvensis

Well I guess you know better than Jens, how silly of me not to realise

ocrider

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    just the ones who don’t like Brits anyone who isn’t French, especially if they’re perfidious Anglo-saxons, winning the TDF, Repeatedly.
    FTFY.

I don’t think they realised that if the commissaires had done nothing, an honest to goodness non-Kenyan Brit would’ve been in yellow. Maybe they were booing because they knew the were f****d either way?

anagallis_arvensis

The neutral bikes are rebadged Canyons but they come with toeclips and straps since obviously riders use all manner of Shimano, Look, Speedplay, Garmin Vector pedals so in theory they’re designed to at least be pedal-able by any shoe although it feels really weird.

So whatcwas Froome given today?

igm

Mavic pedals for his Shimano shoes allegedly – but equally Mavic said they knew his proper bike was coming and they just wanted him pedalling not running.

ninfan
    Free Member

AA, I don’t want to get into a pissing contest with you here,

but I can promise you that I can identify a service course bike when I see one.

See if you can get the hint – C’est moi:

xyeti
    Free Member

Well, That settles that little argument then……… :mrgreen:

Tom-B
    Free Member

Always makes me chuckle that picture of big Jensie on that tiny bike!!!

……almost as much as a_a getting pwned on the interweb does 😆

crazy-legs

a_a: the actual line in that text which is sort of lost in translation a little bit (and bear in mind that English is not Jens’ first language) is that it was LIKE riding a kid’s bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lifer
    Free Member

On Jens – it was a kids bike, one of the special events that year was for children to ride some of each stage:

Jens Voigt crashed hard on Tuesday’s stage, in the descent of the Col de Peyresourde. With the team cars long gone and his front tire exploded, the German fought hard to not being picked up by the broom wagon, ready to give the German a lift. Determined to reach Paris this year, he borrowed a kid’s bike for around 15 kilometers, until he reached his spare bike.

Voigt recalled the mayhem of the post crash frenzy on the rest day. “By the time you get up and your brain starts working again, I realized that all the team cars had passed me and there would be nobody there to help me,” he told Sporza in an interview. The driver of the broom wagon was ready to pick up Voigt. “He asked me ‘Do you want to come in?’, but I said ‘No, no, I want to get to Paris – give me some sort of bike!'”

Voigt’s bike was totaled. “The frame was broken, the derailleur was broken, the front wheel was broken – there was nothing you could fix there anymore.”

Rescue came through one of the special events that accompany the race. “I think there is this children’s program where they do part of the Tour de France stages. One of those cars came by and they gave me one of their bikes.” The bike was painted yellow and equipped with good old fashioned toe clips. “It was way too small for me, it didn’t fit with my pedal system and it didn’t really work the way I wanted it to work,” Voigt said. “But it was something to move and I took the chance,” Voigt added, happy that he was able to continue the race.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4977/Jens-Voigt-avoids-abandoning-Tour-de-France-with-help-from-kids-bike.aspx#ixzz4EQCR9oyO%5B/URL%5D

RustySpanner

From something called ‘Twitter’?

Geraint Thomas when being shown a video of Froome running without his bike. “He’s from Kenya, should be good at that!”

🙂

God knows what happens next, but Adam Yates has played a blinder.
    Interesting times.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Still, better than being…
    [video]http://youtu.be/_P3wUIGxuVk[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve only just read the end of this thread, so might have missed it, but is there anybody else pissed off with the C4 highlights providing a massive spoiler at the start of their programme. I’d successfully avoided all coverage today (hadn’t been on STW) and looking forward to the rare experience of watching the highlights without knowing what happened – wtf were they thinking with that?

Of course then half way through watching the highlights mrs aracer walks in and asks whether it’s a running race or a bike race today 🙄 – and then proceeds to ask why Froome got given the same time on the Ventoux stage yesterday 🙄 (she’d seen reports on the news and thought it was yesterdays)

ctk
    Free Member

The Mavic bikes always look great.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Who knew it could be s entertaining watching the Tdf Maillot Jaune run up hill without his bike

What a mess but the fairest result given the total mess that the stage was.

Good on Yates for saying he did not want to get the jersey this way as well

reformedfatty
    Free Member

I have to say that booing had me hopping on the outrage bus. Barrier the last 5k and make it so people can’t camp out in advance.

See how many chav **** feel like a stroll up Ventoux in thir costumes toting a beer cooler then.

Better yet make it a limited number per km and make everyone race for their spectator position.

imnotverygood

Yes, it crossed my mind that the a-holes booing were probably the ones who caused the whole thing in the first place.

aracer
    Free Member

Well in the end he probably did them a favour (and certainly did the commissaires a favour) by doing so, as he provided a finish time for them.

He comes across as a very honest chap, but even if he wasn’t then he only has to remember a few stages back for a similar incident after which they also adjusted the times – an incident which there is a very visible reminder of when you see him being interviewed!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Come on @ninfan we know you photo shopped that and it could be any old bald fella 😉

UK-FLATLANDER

Whilst the tunnel of spectators might give atmosphere to mountain stages, surely they have to introduce better crowd control. Not only is it dangerous as we saw today, but it also could prevent people making breaks if there is only a bike corridor. Also as mention earlier, what’s then to stop spectators taking out people they don’t like. Accidents will always happen, but this was irresponsible tw*ts ruining a great stage. As for the booing, frankly disgusting.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 286 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France stage 12 – Montpellier > Ventoux – Half of a legend’ is closed to new replies.