Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Tour de Ben Nevis
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Who’s in?

Probably my only event this year.

swavis

I hope to be. Hoping to to both this and Relentless 24.

soulrider
    Free Member

Bring it on!!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Only found out about it yesterday. Looks like a good one.

soulrider
    Free Member

its a real MTB race.. last year was brilliant.

what bike you planning on taking?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Thinking about… http://flic.kr/p/8Btkig

Phil_H

I can’t do it this year due to work commitments, Shame because I really enjoyed it last year.

swavis

SR – I’ll probably take the Meta again, although I think I’ll put some lighter wheels on it this time. Mavic 721’s were a little overkill 😆

daveb
    Free Member

I am doing it, missed it last year but heard lots of good things.

druidh
    Free Member

Swithering

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Any hints/tips from previous experience? Or is it just an epic XC ride?

13thfloormonk

Hmm, could be tempted actually, had been planning to do a Sportive up in Ullapool but do fancy the look of this race. Not sold on the ‘stage’ thing though, would prefer a traditional all out race from start to finish, but i guess thats because I think I’d do better that way 8)

There looked to be singletrack sections in the promo video that I don’t recognise as part of the route? (the rubbly stuff in the trees, doesn’t look like the descent to Kinlochleven, or the descent to Spean Bridge, where is it?)

bruneep

Dithering………..

radoggair
    Free Member

Maybe, although at 5’7 think i might sink @ the river crossing 🙂

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Resurrecting this thread as it’s getting closer to the event. Any more takers?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

yep, along with relentless. both on SS.

can’t wait!

marionheck
    Free Member

think I will be doing ti this year for the first time. On a tracer 2.

praying for good weather!

wallace1492
    Free Member

A few of us did the route in August, with a slight detour…. Fabulous scenery, mostly decent double track, although not smooth, but a few tough singletrack sections especially after the river crossing at the Bothy. A fabulous day out if the weather is decent.

wool

Clashes with The Three Peaks shame would love to do this as well.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

hungry monkey: What are you riding?

wallace: We’ll be doing it this Friday. What was your detour?

moonboy
    Free Member

I’m in for this 🙂

somewhere between excited and bricking it at the moment!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

That’s a healthy fear. I’m getting a bit nervous too!

bruneep

Thought long and hard about it……………nope!

Can’t get time off work.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Detour was from the descent down to Spean Bridge, we decided to join the Disused Railway instead of following the TDBN course, a shortcut so we thought as the TDBN goes on down through woods then back up to the disused railway. We turned left just after the statue of the Minister. It was torture! Really muddy, with a few steep up and downs where old bridges used to be, then a river crossing whaich was up to our knees (and it was a very dry period) and a hideous scramble up an embankment with a deer fenct to cross. Then it was foot deep moss/mud in a cutting for 300yds. Stick to the TDBN course – dont take the first part of the Disused Railway!

moonboy
    Free Member

so come on then,

you guys who have done this before, what do you know now that you wished you knew this time last year…?

haggis1978

i’m on for this as well. any info from last years entrants would be welcomed here as well.

wallace1492
    Free Member

moonboy, a lot will depend on weather, we were lucky that it was pretty good and had no mechanicals, but be prepared for all. Overall fitness is probably the main thing that could do with improving, its a long hard day, and nowt sets you up for it like a few previous long, hard days.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

leelovesbikestoo – kona kula 29 SS

team bikevillage culinary division

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Explosive SS 26er here.

You’re the Bike Village chef? I did their logo about ten years ago while I was at uni! I worked with Sam at EBC back in the day.

moonboy
    Free Member

whats the route finding like?

DVATC1
    Free Member

4 of us from Derwent Valley All Terrain Club will be there this year.

rotten
    Free Member

I’m in, cant decide on the 140mm trail bike or steel hardtail so doing a long ride on both to see which is best in preparation for the longest ride of my life!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Is this the view from the track above Meanach bothy?,

Took us 2 days! (but we didn’t pay to do it & we got time to hear the stags bellowing)
    I wouldn’t do that route as a race, you’d miss too much scenery. 😉

stevious

I’m in.

Also swithering between 140mm stumpy and a hardtail.

Northwind

Think I’m in… Just not for this year :mrgreen:

radoggair
    Free Member

contemplating doing this event, although £50 is so expensive plus travel etc. Might enter on the day. Its meant to be 3.5 hrs of good adventure riding which would be good.

haggis1978

3.5 hrs? are you sure about that bud? if you read the intro on NoFuss website they say 4hrs for the fastest and up to around 8 hrs for the normal people.

wallace1492
    Free Member

8 hours is more like it. We did in 10, but were stopping for photo’s, lunch, scenery admiration etc.

Prefer not paying for it, and really enjoyed the remoteness, you wont get that feeling with 3 or 4 hundred others!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Tour de Ben Nevis’ is closed to new replies.