Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,453 total)
  • Tottenham Riots
  • donsimon
    Free Member

like rebuilding the homes and shops they have destroyed

Isn’t that the model used by the USA in Iraq?

brakes
    Free Member

that’s irrelevant

yossarian
    Free Member

For as long as there’s been cities, there’s been rioting. As soon as you put people into poverty and make them live on top of each other the foundation is created. I’m not sure that you can ever remove completely the likelihood of unrest without addressing poverty first.

It does amuse me when I listen to politicians and the police condemning the violence as being perpetrated by ‘mindless thugs’. What does mindless thug actually mean? It’s a sound bite, a stereotype. It’s irelevant and condescending to the people involved and people observing. It serves no purpose other than to maintain the status quo. I’m sure that every person involved in the disorder had a reason, I doubt anyone ‘mindlessly’ went outside the other evening. As with many situations and conflicts we would be well served by listening to WHY before deciding HOW to resolve the problems.

walleater

Well, the last two main riots in Vancouver have been over hockey matches so that blows that theory out of the water…. Dickheads are dickheads….

atlaz
    Free Member

Dickheads are dickheads

Reasonable analysis of the riots in general. None (or almost none) of the rioting was to do with the initial incident; it was just about the act of rioting and looting.

Incidentally, extra points to Elfin for posting that link to the Churchill page. It’s the same sort of pseudo-intellectual crap that he (quite rightly) slams the EDL/BNP/far right for; fundamentally incorrect with just enough fact scattered around to further convince the already convinced of its truth.

oldgit
    Free Member

These are very distinct as the Metropolitan Police uses dum dum type hollowed out bullets designed not to pass through an object.

Sorry for the change of subject, but I thought these were outlawed years ago. Designed to expand and fragment on impact to cause untold damage….that’s what I thought.

atlaz
    Free Member

From what I understand not all hollow-point rounds are dumdums. Supposedly the ones the police use don’t fragment but they do mushroom slightly to stop it going through the person being shot.

j_me
    Free Member

I’m sure that every person involved in the disorder had a reason, I doubt anyone ‘mindlessly’ went outside the other evening.

horseshite of the highest order. Unless your idea of a reason is tograb a new tv or case of voddie from aldi’s

atlaz
    Free Member

Well he’s right. Some went out to burn carpet right and loot xbox games. Some went out to lob bricks at the police and burn cars belonging to locals. That’s going out with purpose!

yossarian
    Free Member

<Sighs>

You’ve made my point for me really, sucked in by sound bites because it’s easier than adressing the issues. Let’s start with hockey shall we? It’s not mindless, there’s a point to it. Whats the point? Looting, there’s a point to it, would it happen in Oslo? Why not, and what could be done to prevent it happening here? The only mindless behaviour is that of those watching and commenting. EVERYBODY ELSE has a purpose.

j_me
    Free Member

Eh? Please enlighten us soundbitebrainwashedmindlessones on this”purpose”, I for one am ready to see the light

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As soon as you put people into poverty and make them live on top of each other the foundation is created. I’m not sure that you can ever remove completely the likelihood of unrest without addressing poverty first.

So kids were nicking trainers because they live in poverty?

Come off it – it was just opportunists stealing crap – most of them will have got home (to their Wii and PS3) and realised that they had, in fact, just stolen 3 pairs of rugby boots, a sports bra and an umbrella and it will all be in the bin by now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Come off it – it was just opportunists stealing crap –

^^This^^ (At least for the idiots last night)

Jamie
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Welcome To Tory Britain.

See youse later, I’m off to the West End…

j_me
    Free Member

And labour Britain was riot free?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Jamie – surely that should read ‘Steal more eggs’?

😉

jackthedog
    Free Member

Of course if Tottenham was branded better this wouldn’t have happened. The lack of a good logo definitely caused this.

yossarian
    Free Member

A quick spin through the beeb and other online sources will give you s starting point j_me, I’m not doing everything for you. Funny how it’s always the poor who are ‘mindless’ isn’t it? Why is that?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Eh? Please enlighten us soundbitebrainwashedmindlessones on this”purpose”, I for one am ready to see the light

really? i mean, really? c’mon, think about it. you’ll be the first to admit you’ve seen quite enough light thank you.

binners

Perhaps they’re all angry about Luca Modric going to Chelsea?

j_me
    Free Member

I accept there are underlying social and economic problems, I accept that these are highly likey to give rise to malcontent and even civil unrest.
    But what “purpose” were they united in, socio economic change? Nah, a general expression of discontent from some maybe. Opportunistic neds out for themselves definitely.

kimbers

Welcome To Tory Britain.

who’d have thought 75% cuts to youth services in harringey this year wouldve come round to bite them in the ass so soon

MSP

Opportunistic neds out for themselves definitely.

It was city boys and Tories rioting then?

brakes
    Free Member

I believe that they were stealing xbox games from Currys, particularly historic role-play ones, so that they could fill in the gaps in their learning that the cuts in the education system have left.

xiphon
    Free Member

jackthedog – Member
    Of course if Tottenham was branded better this wouldn’t have happened. The lack of a good logo definitely caused this

ha ha ha 🙂

bullheart
    Free Member

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

what a load of pc drivel on this thread! Excuse after excuse has been written for the actions of idiots over the last couple of days even to the point of calling people racist for having an opinion.

I’d be interested to know how many have actually grown up on an inner city council estate which is rife with drugs and robberies?

All previous riots within london followed the same trend, with similar minded people making the same excuses as we have on this thread.

kimbers

thank gawd your here lockrobnkel we were all waiting for you to tell us how to sort out all this riot mess

hora
    Free Member

Was the shot person a promising footballer?

binners

Its just 80’s nostalgia gtaken to its logical conclusion. We’ve the evil tory government, rampant unemployment, obscene inequality, the rioting was the only thing missing

Were the rioters wearing anything like this

Oops! I seem to have inadvertently posted a picture of another coloured gentlemen who died in police custody. Wasn’t he alledged to have stabbed himself through the heart while making a cup of tea? A completely plausible story which in no way had ‘police cover-up’ written all over it

highclimber
    Free Member

Was the shot person a promising footballer?

probably. He was probably also very popular and did charity work too!

Gary_C

Apparently the looters in Wood Green HMV smashed up all the Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin and Joss Stone CDs they could find.

Soul destroying.

IGMC

hora
    Free Member

My heart goes out to all the Crack-Heroin selling, feckless, gun carrying and violent youths down there.

Apperently its going to kick off again there this evening.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

turns out that bullet lodged in the police radio was police issue….oops

hora
    Free Member

turns out that bullet lodged in the police radio was police issue….oops

Is a fact or journalistic conjecture?

Remember the last time the Press went rampant ruining lives?

http://news.sky.com/home/article/15874586

Kato

hora – Member

My heart goes out to all the Crack-Heroin selling, feckless, gun carrying and violent youths down there.

Apperently its going to kick off again there this evening.

Great, I just got in after a 23 hour shift. Can they wait until i’ve had some sleep?

bullheart
    Free Member

Joss Stone? Soul?

binners

I just got in after a 23 hour shift.

Bloody part timers! 😉

hora
    Free Member

Its arrange for between 7-8pm as ‘silent vigil’ outside the Police Station.

WTF.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,453 total)

The topic ‘Tottenham Riots’ is closed to new replies.