Torque question – 6Nm

Home Forum Chat Forum Torque question – 6Nm

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Torque question – 6Nm
  • Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

without a torque wrench, what will 6Nm feel like if tightening up with a normal allen key ?

Mister P

Like a small terrier tugging on a trouser leg.

IanMunro

It feels like 6 bags of sugar tied to the end of a standard 8mm allen key.

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

I’m presuming your tightening some rotor bolts?

I have a very expensive Facom screwdriver type torque wrench that I “borrow” from work to fit rotor bolts!

It’s not as tight as you might think, imagine tightening a wood screw and before it gets hard work is about 6Nm (having said that I’m 6’3″ and built like a tank)

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

I was told its about as tight as you can get by using the long end in the bolt and short end to turn the allen key using only your fingers – not a vulcan death grip.

stumpy01

IanMunro, only if your standard allen key is 1m long….. 😉

Without a torque driver it is hard to estimate, but geoffj’s recommendation sounds about on the money.
    If it’s for rotor bolts, I just bolt them up and then check them regularly. Never had one come loose yet and you have got 5 more holding the rotor on if one does come loose.

lobby_dosser

what a strange question to try and describe an answer. almost like asking what does chicken taste like. 😕

Since buying a torque guage, I discovered I was overtightening most of the bolts on my bike.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

lobby_dosser – I presume you replaced all the bolts that were overtightened rather than just slackend them off?

uplink

Just make sure you use a small allen key rather than something like a socket bar & you should be OK
    Ritchey do a little doobrey to prevent over tightening of stems on carbon bars that’s set at 5Nm

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

’tis actually for roofrack fixpoint bolts – Thule instruction says 6Nm, but I certainly had them a lot tighter than that when I took em off the last car !

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

Which is why I said “It’s not as tight as you might think”

geoffj is probably pretty close TBH

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

Oh well that was us wrong!

I know what you mean about the fixpoint bolts though as my wife’s car had them and I was never convinced it would stay on so I used threadlock as well.

IanMunro

IanMunro, only if your standard allen key is 1m long…..
    That would generate 60Nm

stumpy01

Oh yeah……..god I am thick sometimes.

lobby_dosser

lobby_dosser – I presume you replaced all the bolts that were overtightened rather than just slackend them off?

No, never replaced them or slackened them off.

coffeeking

Easy way to work it out, torque = force x distance from pivot…
    1 bag of sugar is 1kg. = 9.81N force under gravity.
    1 m is 1m, or 3.3ish feet.

6Nm is 2/3 of a bag of sugar on the end of a 1m pole or
    6 bags of sugar at 0.1m (9.81*0.1=1 roughly, multiply by 6).

Good hand tight with a normal allen key.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

Aply some threadlock.As tight as you can until it strips the thread then back off a half turn*. Job done.

* From the hamfisted bodgers guide book

fisha

about as tight as putting a cap back on a plastic drinks bottle so that its tight enough to make sure that it wont leak if the bottle is on its side.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

thanks all

Bit of thread resurrection here.

To test your descriptive powers a little more (seeing as you all did so well above), the main pivot on our Ventana should be 90 in-lbs.
    It's a 6mm allen bolt, so with a long allen key I'm estimating 2 fingers pulling tight. Anywhere near correct?

Thanks
    Rob (who's too tight to buy a torque wrench)

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Bit of thread resurrection here

….feels like I am being stalked ! 😆

IanMunro

90 in /lb is about 10nm which would equate to a medium sized terrier tugging on a trouser leg.

Depends whether or not it's on a conveyor belt 😉

Hairychested

IanMunro – Member

90 in /lb is about 10nm which would equate to a medium sized terrier tugging on a trouser leg.
    Before or after being given a boot?

Mmmmmm, don't know much about terriers (or conveyor belts) but am good with greyhounds. So does that roughly equate to a greyhound dragging the kitchen bin over?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Torque question – 6Nm’ is closed to new replies.