Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Too many rims – HELP!
  • robdob
    Free Member

I want some rims. I used to have Mavic F519 rims, which were simple, mid weight and strength between X517 and D321. Perfect.
    I now go to Mavic website and there are 15 different ones – so which one is the most similar to an F519, but in disc only version? I like big tyres, up to 2.4" if thats any help.

wwaswas

with Mavic the last two digits are the rim width in mm, I believe.

so anything with 19 at the end will be the same width as your 519's.

njee20
    Free Member

Stan's Arch.

robdob
    Free Member

Stan's Arch.

Sorry, want Mavic rims. ALways like them….

poppa
    Free Member

I am guessing you want the XM719 disc. That rim is 19mm wide (internal dimension), decent quality and disc specific. If you want a tubuless ready rim, go for the XM819.

traildog
    Free Member

poppa is correct. You want the 719 which is basically like the old F519s you had. With the new Mavic naming system, the last two digits are width and the first one indicates quality.
    I have 719s but not disc only and they are really good rims. Only slightly heavier than 717s but have proved to be much tougher.

mboy
    Free Member

719 is basically the 519 with a new sticker on.

The 719 disc is funnily enough, a disc specific version of the same rim.

Then there's also the TN719 which is a 29er version of the 719 disc rim!

719's are a good solid rim. A lot stiffer than the flexy 717's bit without much of a weight penalty.

Njee does have a point mentioning stans rims though, a lot had gone on in the rim world in the last few years, stans have really pushed the envelope of low weight yet high strength rims. All easily converted to tubeless too. But you do pay a premium for stans mind.

MisterT

Sorry, want Mavic rims. ALways like them….

time to move on… IMO Mavic are way behind in terms of rim development and technology compared to Stans.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I also prefer Mavics and do get a bit tired of those who feel the need to bash them in favour of Stans.

Mine have always lasted ages and my latest 717 is light too. I didn't want Stans so I didn't get them.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

As above – 719 disc. Good solid all round hoop. My first set lasted 2 years of Peaks abuse, and were stiff enough to take a fair old bit of DH and FR stuff too. The second set is still stright an undinked a year on, despite my best efforts.

njee20
    Free Member

I also prefer Mavics and do get a bit tired of those who feel the need to bash them in favour of Stans.

Mine have always lasted ages and my latest 717 is light too. I didn't want Stans so I didn't get them.

You have a real chip on your shoulder about that don't you!?

I agree with MisterT, the only downside of the Stan's rims is their cost, which in this instance is probably a valid criticism! If you're buying something like Hope Hoops it's a no brainer for me!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Actually njee I have a bit of an issue with you and you only.

I've seen countless threads where you've chipped in and slated someone's bike then bigged up your own claiming it weighs about 3 grams and is the best thing ever.

You've done it to me three times and other many more.

I like my bike(s) you like yours. I like commenting positively on others bikes, you like having little digs. I just don't get it.

End of slightly random rant.

njee20
    Free Member

Actually njee I have a bit of an issue with you and you only.

I've seen countless threads where you've chipped in and slated someone's bike then bigged up your own claiming it weighs about 3 grams and is the best thing ever.

You've done it to me three times and other many more.

You keep notes? I'm glad I make an impression! I'd say it's pretty rare for me to 'slate' other peoples bikes, I can only think of one particular one lately.

You seem bitter though, would a hug help?

thomthumb
    Free Member

a lot of riders want wider rims for trail riding; without paying the weight penalty of running DH rims.

mavic haven't caught on.

Stans and bontrager have a lot to offer.

njee20
    Free Member

Plus the tubeless conversion benefits, whilst Mavic were early adopters with UST they've not changed it, the XM819 is the just the X3.1 as released in 2001. I'm not a huge fan of the Bontrager rim strip system, but Stan's is spot on IMO!

Edit: and also a lot of XC riders want a lighter rim that can run tubeless (we know you don't Mat!), which Mavic haven't addressed either!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Njee is right, though. Stans are better.

And a load of people on here make very "unusual" (I'd say "wrong") choices in terms of bike spec so I wouldn't be surprised that njee, as someone who knows what he's talking about, has something to say about someone else's spec.

Stans Arch will be the best tool for the job.

njee20
    Free Member

Aaw, you're making me blush!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hey, maybe I know what I'm talking about too? njee – won any MTB events recently?

Think you have better knowledge than my bike mechanic, who has done very well in Merida Marathons and is very well known in the industry?

Want me to post up a pic of my Gold medal from last years EnduranceLife off road triathlon which included a sizeable and very technical MTB section?

Of course not – internet armchair warriors always rule don't they? I suggest you also make room in that armchair for Spokes – he's making eyes at you.

njee20
    Free Member

Hey, maybe I know what I'm talking about too? njee – won any MTB events recently?

NPS at Coed-Y-Brenin was my last victory, second in the Gorrick Enduro last Sunday though.

Think you have better knowledge than my bike mechanic, who has done very well in Merida Marathons and is very well known in the industry?

Riding prowess is absolutely zero indication of technical knowledge, I worry that you have to hide behind 'your mechanic', I'm confident I do have very good technical knowledge, and that extends to the fact that I know very very very few people to have bought 717s over Stan's rims lately, the only real reason to do so IMO is cost.

Want me to post up a pic of my Gold medal from last years EnduranceLife off road triathlon which included a sizeable and very technical MTB section?

No, because I don't care. I did their Purbeck triathlon last year, it was the worst event I have ever been to, by a fair margin! It was my first ever triathlon, I'm a mediocre swimmer and despite going wrong on the bike twice I was still leading after it, so I would certainly say that a gold medal is not indicative of being a good athlete. Again, this also comes back to the fact that riding ability and technical knowledge have nothing in common.

Of course not – internet armchair warriors always rule don't they? I suggest you also make room in that armchair for Spokes – he's making eyes at you.

Would you like to meet up for a ride, and let our riding do the talking? I don't really like to think that people are upset by me, and there's some decent accusations flying around here. Where in the country are you based?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Handbags ahoy!

njee seems to know his tech stuff IMO, just cos you disagree with him does not make his experience invalid.

FWIW as a former mavic-devotee I am happy with the 2 pairs of stans rims I have used and would buy more.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I'm in Cornwall. I'd happily race you on foot, bike, in the water or in my car.

njee seems to know his stuff – to those who happen to have Stans rims. I'll make do with my "worse" 717 Hope hoop:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/pro-ii-on-mavic-xc717-wheelset-09-34686#

I'll leave you fanboys to take everything he says as gospel. One day you might grow a set of balls and make up your own minds.

I plan to continue enjoying pics and specs of other people bikes (njee put at least three digs in my "show me your XC hardtails" thread) while he makes himself feel better criticising others.

Notice I've not felt the need to slate Stans rims? It's not that hard you see.

Bet you love jumping on newbies too and slating their pride and joy "poor" rides?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I've ridden bikes for 13 years. I've mechaniced for 4. I've ridden probably hundreds of bikes. I've made up my own mind.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I've ridden bikes for 30 years so ner ner 😉

GavinB

Surf-Mat – Member
    I've ridden bikes for 30 years so ner ner

Sorry, but you don't come across as someone old enough to have ridden a bike for that long. I was guessing you were about 10.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

You must be a right laugh on a night out.

"Quick lads, Gav's here – lets make this our last one then move on…"

robdob
    Free Member

As above – 719 disc. Good solid all round hoop. My first set lasted 2 years of Peaks abuse, and were stiff enough to take a fair old bit of DH and FR stuff too. The second set is still stright an undinked a year on, despite my best efforts.

Ta very much, that's the sort of info I need!

And you two bickering at the back, you're both complete muppets!

br
    Free Member

I've some 819 rim-med wheels, not sure I'd want to put 2.4's on there, at least not proper 2.4's (like say Nobby Nics).

I vote Stans too, although I run my 2.4's on DT 5.1's – no problems here

robdob
    Free Member

Ta very much, that's the sort of info I need!

Don't want to pay twice as much for Stans, no benefit for me. I'll hardly be able to afford the Mavics never mind this years cool rim. Mavic rims have never ever let me down but the DT rims I have keep denting. I had horrific crashes with F519s in the peaks, impacts that broke frames but they were still perfect when I sold my bike. Shouldve kept the wheels!

And why are most rims in black??? Daftest colour, look scrappy and old very quickly. And they look heavier. Don't know why, it seems daft to say it but they just do!

M6TTF
    Free Member

What's with the willy waving competition then? Jeez louise!! Surf matt, you act like a frickin' 10 year old – "my cars faster than yours" "I beat Steve peat in his own back garden" thank the lord you're the opposite end of the country. Grow up man!

stevet
    Free Member

Ah no change in your attitude since you departed "the other place" then Eh Matt ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyway, back to the question about rims, as stated above, the 719 is the modern version of what you have.

I also used to be firmly in the "Mavic rims only" camp since my first pair of MA40s (now that's going back a bit). However, when trying to find a compromise between the narrow 317 and the heavy 321, I stumbled across the Stan's Flow rim. About the same weight as a 317 (470 grms) but much wider and gives a more stable feel to wider tyres.

Nothing wrong with Mavic rims. Just that I fittied something different and I'm really glad I did. Each bike used to have two sets of wheels. One with 317s and one with 321s for being silly. Now each bike just runs Flow rims. Job done. Worth considering.

M6TTF
    Free Member

As another potential option – superstar have got some brand new wheelsets due soon. As I understand it their hubs have been improved and they have 2 new rims – one is XC based the other more freeride/downhill based, both available in 4 different colours… I need new wheels so I'm waiting until these are launched to have a nosey

njee20
    Free Member

What have I done to come across as a muppet?! Without wanting to play the poor victim, it really does read to me like Mat simply threw his toys out of the pram after I suggested that I wouldn't have bought his wheels!

The 300g Alex rims which Superstar distribute certainly look good, and you can't argue with the value of their other wheels.

Hairychested
    Free Member

FAIW I've used 719/DT/Burgtec set for some 4 years with 2.4" Maxxis or 1.3 Conti slicks and no damage to report. I don't ride hard but am clumsy enough to have wrecked other rims (other Mavics and Bonty). I haven't tried Stans and won't anytime soon as they're too costly.

njee20
    Free Member

Makes the Hope Hoops even better value mind!

GavinB

Matt – I was going to give you some feedback, having used loads of Mavic rims, including the ones you would likely be replacing to. I've also ridden Flows and Arch rims, but then njee will have done all of this and more.

FWIW (and I doubt you'll accept this) – if you ask a question, don't jump down the throat of someone offering useful advice, then resorting to stupid willy-waving about how fast you ride etc.

Hey-ho…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Just to chuck another into the mix, EN321

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have given EN321's on Hope Hubs a right hammering and they have been in my experience easier to get tyres on and off than the DT 5.1 rims of the Hope Hoops I have. I bought an emergency replacement wheel at the weekend a Hope Pro 2 on a mavic EN521 seems okay on a par weight wise with the hope Hoops DT 5.1 and just as strong.
    I must admit there is a massive selection of rims and opinion/camps of choice/preference, I just want one that being a lardy arsed hardtail rider who is hard on his kit that stays stright and true but is a resonable weight but more importantly is available to buy- it seemed that no one had any Stand Flow rims to build onto a hub and post me out without being a back order.

robdob
    Free Member

I like the price of the EN one but it's a fair bit heavier. Worth a think about though.

A stans flow ztr rim is £62!! Waaay too much for me I'm afraid. Not interested in tubeless so no advantage for me there.

Even the XM Mavic rim is £42 which is at my top end tbh.

Super chuffed I got a Hope Bulb hub pretty much brand new today for £18. 🙂

Suggsey
    Free Member

I wish that I could have got hold of a Bulb hub but a bit rare in good condition for reasonable price.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Too many rims – HELP!’ is closed to new replies.