Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • Tony Blair snubbed…is this why?
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

We have bombed Gadaffis compound in tripoli – hardly protecting civilians. We are complicit in the arming of the rebels.

of course you have definitive proof to share with us that a. it was a UK action, b. that there was no target that would comply with the UN resolution present in the compound.

please present your evidence

It is very clear that the UK forces are not acting to protect civilians but to support the rebel side

so no action has saved civilian life?

please list all the actions and present your evidence

support the rebel side

can you list all th opportunity targets rebel and Gadafi forces that have not been hit, comment on the proximity of civilians and then state if the non targetting was politically motivated or not. please present your evidence

and the fallicy

If we wanted to stop civilian deaths we would be telling both sides that any aggressive move gets them bombed – but no – we are supporting the rebel side to attack their legitimate government.

as the rebels are in effect civilians with guns, how will you distinguish between rebels and civilians? what happens if civilians move into the target zone when you have released the weapons?

please give us the guidelines that you propose for use in selecting targets

the problem with kinectic force is that it does not discriminate and no targetting system is perfect, the only way to stop UK munitions killing people in Libya is not to fire them. The problem with that is you have to accept the consequences of inaction. Hence the fallicy of your position

HTH

CHB

So TJ, why do you reckon Blair doesn’t have an invite? (Sorry CF, couldn’t resist).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CHB, I’m going to have to kill you. Sorry.

CHB

Shouldn’t it be “I shall” rather than “I’m going to have to”?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Big and daft – do you really believe that? You really are daft.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

the problem with kinectic force is that it does not discriminate and no targetting system is perfect, the only way to stop UK munitions killing people in Libya is not to fire them.

yes

waiting for your evidence

HTH

5thElefant
    Free Member

We’ve all been there. You don’t want it kicking off at the reception. They couldn’t invite Blair AND Brown. So they didn’t invite either.

genghispod
    Free Member

TJ “I typed an answer but thought better of it.”

Never thought I’d see that!

mt
    Free Member

william Joyce is that TJ’s real name?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So all you gung ho military types – like to tell me why we are not intervening in Syria?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Is it because the last of our planes were pre-booked for a fly-past at the wedding?

I assume we’ll bomb the crap out of Syria on Saturday.

oldnpastit

So all you gung ho military types – like to tell me why we are not intervening in Syria?

Perhaps because there’s no way that the rest of the Arab world would support a UN resolution allowing it in the way that they did with Libya?

And we’ve learned our lesson now about the inadvisability of going to war without proper backing from the UN.

Which of course brings us right back to the OP’s question 🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

that’s you isn’t it? you want to bomb everyone

If we wanted to stop civilian deaths we would be telling both sides that any aggressive move gets them bombed

all hail the keyboard warrior

HTH

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

AFAIK Gadaffi declared he would crush the rebels in Bengazi and this led to the United Nations resolution to intervene with military force to protect civilians from attack. We cannot vouch for the wrongs and rights for each intervention, but the rules of engagement are internationally agreed. Defending the weak by attacking an advancing armed aggressor is not warmongering. It is Gadaffi, the terrorist and military dictator, who is the warmonger.

kimbers

more importantly why did we sell guns to bahrain, saudi, uae to repress their populations, yet turn on gaddafi?

tanks and bombs and planes are cool but our arms industry is our national shame

edit that makes dave the chinless wonder just as compromised as st tony

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

buzz – you mean the internationally recognised legitimate leader of the country putting down an armed rebellion?

Teh house of Saud are dictators and sponsor terrorists yet we sell them guns and bombs. Syria is run my a dictator and there is an armed rebellion we are ignoring.

One mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter. Would it have been appropriate for arabs states to intervene inthe armed rebellion in ireland?

Junkyard
    Free Member

big n daft you almost never present your own position but save all your posts for atacking someone else’s view. Weak IMHO especially as you can eloquently argue your case when you see fit/prompted cajoled.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Teh house of Saud are dictators and sponsor terrorists yet we sell them guns and bombs.

And that disgusts me too.

Syria is run my a dictator and there is an armed rebellion we are ignoring.

Assad is too clever to use his army to crush the rebellion. He knows that if he does, the UN will turn on him too.

One mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter.

So, can we conclude that you applaud 9/11?

And, worst still, you missed two important apostrophes and your post had several typos.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blair’s a war criminal?

Did I miss his trial?

Flaperon

Let’s get this straight – I loathe the man.

But when you deliberately misspell his name as “Bliar”, it’s such a childish, moronic, and Daily-Mail-style thing to do I immediately know that the rest of your post is worthless.

It wasn’t clever 10 years ago when it appeared on placards, it’s definitely not amusing now.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Would it have been appropriate for arabs states to intervene inthe armed rebellion in ireland?

Ignoring the fact that some did (Libya being one funnily enough) – Yes, but Only if they had a UN mandate giving them permission to do so! Like we have in Libya right now, and like TCB didn’t have in Iraq!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member

One mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter.

So, can we conclude that you applaud 9/11?

No – merely pointing out the hypocrisy of the intervention in Libya

kimbers

surely every mp who voted for the war in iraq is just as guilty as tony?
    that includes the torries

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t want get involved with this nonsense, specially as big and daft and zulu are both here to guarantee that the thread will plod along at the level of playground taunting. But as far as Syria is concerned, I can’t believe that no one has pointed out the obvious, ie, Syria has no oil. The death toll in Syria now stands at 500, which is more than the estimated deaths in Libya at the time when UN Resolution 1973 was passed.

epicsteve
    Free Member

TJ’s just upset that, not only have his beloved NuLab heros not been invited, but neither has he…

zokes
    Free Member

It was outside the exclusion zone and heading away from the falklands

But had it turned round, then what? I believe in a war, neutralising a major credible threat might be classed as sound tactics. As a direct result of that attack, the Argentinians withdrew their carrier, and with it, their most credible threat against the Hermes and Invincible.

You can argue all you like about the credibility of the war full-stop. But, if the 2000 or so inhabitants class themselves as British, were subdued by force, and didn’t want to be Argentinian, I’m not sure what other justification is required.

5thElefant
    Free Member

ie, Syria has no oil.

A quick google turns this up:

Recently, Syrian oil production has been about 530,000 barrels per day.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

epicsteve – Member

TJ’s just upset that, not only have his beloved NuLab heros not been invited, but neither has he…

I see that big and daft and zulu don’t have a monopoly on infantile and crass taunting then.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A quick google turns this up

OK, Syria does not have significant oil reserves, unlike Iraq and Libya, would have been more accurate ……. fair point.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ernie – you are in danger of getting sucked in here.

I do wonder how many of the warmongerers on here have actually served in the military in a war zone.

Zulu? Big and daft?

englishbob
    Free Member

Sorry to deviate from the oil discussion, but what is kinetic force?
    Back in the day when I did my Physics O level there was potential energy and kinetic energy, is kinetic force a blair-esq third way?

Is kinetic force a big fu**ing indiscriminate explosion?

Please excuse my spelling, I’m just back from the pub!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So – I am still interested. A bunch of folk on here seem to think military adventurism is Ok ( at least under a conservative PM).

Have you ever served? Real service where you did get shot at?

big and daft? Zulu?

CHB

TJ stop the thread Hijack. There are plenty threads out there to choose from if you want to propogate your mutually nullifying rants with the more gung ho members of STW.

Anyone have any views on why TB and GB are not at the wedding?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CHB – the answer was given early on.

Sir John Major and Baroness Thatcher were invited as they are both Knights of the Garter, along with Prince William,” a spokesman said.

“Furthermore, Sir John Major has a personal connection to Prince William, as he was appointed guardian to Prince William and Prince Harry following the death of the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

“This is a private wedding and not a state occasion, unlike [the Queen’s wedding] in 1947 or 1981, so there is no protocol reason to invite former prime ministers.”

I reckon that someone simply did not realise what this would look like when they made up the guest list.

CHB

I reckon that someone simply did not realise what this would look like when they made up the guest list.

The last sentance is the one I don’t buy into as these lists are scrutinised many times over for such an event. If you are right then its on hell of a gaff.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

TJ – Yes, I’ve served.

I’ve stated here that military intervention is only acceptable with UN mandate – you’ve suggested we should bomb the rebels (illegally) and should intervene in Syria despite the lack of mandate to do so – yet you have the gall to call me a warmonger?

The Neue-Arbeit gene is strong in this one!

atlaz
    Free Member

Have you ever served? Real service where you did get shot at?

As a matter of interest, is it only when we’ve experienced something ourselves that we get to comment? If so, STW is in for a real slowdown in forum use.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Real active service zulu – where you got shot at?

Can you actually read? I have not suggested either of those things. I merely point out your gross hypocrisy.

Cameron has no more cover from a UN resolution than Blair had. Its a fig leaf.

Oh – and Godwins law!

Edit – atlaz – the point is that people I know who have actually served in active service where they got shot at are far less gung ho that armchair warriers.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

TJ – If you want to continue this conversation – I’ll ask you to come back and tell me exactly which articles of the Statute of Rome you believe British Forces have broken in Libya, and how!

I’ll throw you a bone:

http://untreaty.un.org/cod/icc/statute/99_corr/cstatute.htm

Article 8 is where you should be looking!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So not active service where you were in danger then Zulu? I seem to remember you being called before on overinflated claims.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Tony Blair snubbed…is this why?’ is closed to new replies.