TOGS… Mutant thumb bar-ends for not the ends…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • TOGS… Mutant thumb bar-ends for not the ends…
  • Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

Does anyone else use these odd little mutant objects?

TOGS

A lad I ride with had some, and they were bugging me. I found myself googling “tiny bar-ends but for thumbs“, and was so pleased that search found them that I’d bought a pair before I realised what had happened.

I’ve used them for a while now, and it is not obvious to me that they are any use to speak of. Also they’re fouling up the magnificent lines of the Pepto-Crush Surface. Anyone reckon they’re awesome? Acquired taste? Should I persevere?

Send us your reckons… πŸ™‚

Denis99

I ordered a pair of these togs from the USA.

Sold them recently, I just didn’t get on with them.
    I think you will find some folk who will like them a lot though.

Personal preference really, but found I didn’t use them, seems like a good idea, but in practice they were wasted on my riding style.

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

I don’t think I’ve ever really thought “wouldn’t it be great to be able to ride with my thumbs over the bar more!”. I guess if I had I’d find them more exciting.

What are they for? Apart from breaking both your thumbs if your front wheel stalls unexpectedly on a downhill?

joshvegas

Me me me

I bought them on a whim and I love them

Don’t go near them descending but i find i din’t even think about it on climbs i just find my hands on them.

I can well believe they’re not for everyone.

I set them pretty loose at the start so i ended up nudging them into the correct location then thightenened them.

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

They’re for giving your thumb a better grip when you’ve got it on top of the bar. Which apparently some people like…

EDIT: people like joshvegas! πŸ™‚

joshvegas

I often ride a rigid bike so being able to relax the grip but maintain control helps.

joshvegas

Have I found my STW topic of passion?

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

I’m just glad someone else knows what I’m gibbering about! πŸ˜€

Interesting about the rigid bike. Did you often have your thumbs on top of the bar before you got the TOGS? Or did they open up that position for you?

joshvegas

I’ve always had a thumb over cones from riding the tops on road bikes i guess.

Just makes things a little secure over rough but predictable stuff.

I don’t really grip them though they just sort of sit there betwixt thumb and forefinger

Premier Icon Duc
    Subscriber

i can see the logic as I climb with my hands all the way on top on a flat straight bar most of the time – however I’ve switched to wiggly bars and don’t have half the control issues now climbing

scotroutes

I remember seeing these some time ago and thinking “who rides with their hands resting on the bar like that?” Not long later I was out for a longer ride and suddenly noticed that I did. I’ve been doing it for years without realising.

Anyway, I bought two sets and fitted one to my Pact. It just gives a wee bit more control when riding with palms resting on the bars. Combined with bar ends, that’s a third hand position – handy on long rides.

An unexpected bonus is that my hands don’t get so cold in winter either. I think it’s the fact you’re not gripping the bars, it must allow more blood flow to the fingers or something.

rexated

for me they just encourage you to use a different hand position, which is a bonus on long rides/races, as it changes the emphasis on muscle groups. Also, I do tend to use them like mini bar ends on long gentle climbs where they seem to cause me to use my core muscles better. Wouldn’t think of the using them on descents.

I’m with joshvegas on this – a togs evangalist!

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

I like mine.

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

Interesting… a few people very keen. I shall persevere for the moment, and perhaps have another go at loosening them off to find the “right” angle for them.

Thanks all! πŸ™‚

I think I tested the first pair in the country – still like them, still use them but as people have said, not for everyone and not a cheap experiment.

joshvegas

It was because of mr bones^

I got mine.

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Thread resurrection!

Where can these be bought in the UK guys? πŸ™‚

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Ordered some from Jenson in the end.

Only found out about these tonight in a random thread.

Uphill on slow slogs I tend to ride with thumbs over the bar so have high hopes for these. πŸ™‚

Premier Icon flashinthepan
    Subscriber

You got a link Poopscoop?

I also tend to ride those slow slogs with my thumbs over the bars. A hangover from my road days I guess

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Here you go bud, I ordered from Jenson based on price/ postage price and estimated delivery date. I went for the stealthy black ones. lol

About Β£31 in total. Carbon ones (bleh) are dearer of course. πŸ™‚

Togs from Jenson

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

I looked at these a while ago but someone somewhere in internet land got injured by these things in an OTB.
    Now use wiggly bars.

scotroutes

I assume you’ve also removed your brake levers?

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

zippykona – Member
    I looked at these a while ago but someone somewhere in internet land got injured by these things in an OTB.
    Now use wiggly bars.

I can see that it’s possible but there are a lot of other parts on the bike that could hurt me in a crash.

I’m also a mincer so otb moments are rare-ish! πŸ˜€

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

If anyone has a pair near Reading/M4/Staines and fancies a free copy in return for letting me CAD/3D print some to try out…………..

heliuscc

I’m in Newbury but only got the hinged carbon version

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Blimey,
    They arrived today! πŸ˜€

Do Jenson have a European depot I wonder?

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Have you tried them yet?
    Did you have to pay any import taxes?
    Think I shall give them a go.

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Well, shipped from California!
    As fast as CRC. lol

Postage is a b***h though unlike crc. πŸ˜‰

Just fitted them, will post a pic in a bit. Trying them on a ride tomorrow and will update this thread.

I doubt I will get hit for import tax. Actual product cost about Β£15. Rest was postage. πŸ™‚

EDIT: ZIPPY Jenson sent me a 15% off code. No idea if it will work and won’t save that much but your welcome to try it? πŸ™‚

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Mine have been dispatched.
    Can’t wait to try them out.

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Instructions say to torque to 1 nm…. So if “forced” they can move. πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

Are you thinking of laying a new patio?

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

And so it begins… πŸ˜€

Premier Icon survivor
    Subscriber

You lot need to up your internet shopping skills.

The only UK stockist of these showing on the TOGS site is http://www.comriecroftbikes.co.uk/contact-us/

Contacted them and got the carbon hinged version for Β£29.95 posted.

Still feel a bit ripped off for what they are really but fancied giving them a go.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

I got a lot of scorn on here quite a few years back for this idea. πŸ™‚

Premier Icon orangespyderman
    Subscriber

I got a lot of scorn on here quite a few years back for this idea.

And, quite frankly, rightfully πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

orangespyderman – Member
    ‘I got a lot of scorn on here quite a few years back for this idea.’
    And, quite frankly, rightfully

Indeed. They’re actually for 2 other purposes entirely.

To keep my handlebar muffs lofted so they don’t contact my hands, and for when I invert the bike trailside to fix something it keeps the grips and controls out of the slush.

Folk assumed they were for thumb grips. πŸ™‚

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘TOGS… Mutant thumb bar-ends for not the ends…’ is closed to new replies.