Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • To the blue Transit connect in Sheffield that gave us a ride home last night.
  • scunny
    Free Member

We’re extremely grateful.

We’d set off for a road ride, very much unprepared. Got caught in a snow/sleet storm as we entered the peaks and had to take refuge in The Dore Inn. Thanks for over hearing our whimpering and offering to drive us back to Crookes.

(the reason i post this here is that him and his mate had met a similar fate whilst out on MTB, but had the sense to have a change of clothes and a van with them).

Thanks

globalti
    Free Member

I thought the same ethos of self-sufficiency applied to roadies as much as to mountain bikers? I carry inner tubes, pump and multi-tool always and a basic waterproof when rain is likely and lights when it’s late. I would only cadge a lift as a very last resort.

My sister lived in Dore but she’s in Heaven now. Or Hell possibly.

tracknicko
    Free Member

hang on… not to join in the bashing, but it had been on and off rain/hail all day yesterday…

what the hell made you go out without a jacket?

Peyote
    Free Member

Oh I don’t know, making sure there is a handy pub to shelter in on the route they took is pretty good preparation. I reckon I’d rather have one of them than a jacket. May just be me though!

tracknicko
    Free Member

hang on…

the dore in as in dore moor in at the end of long line?

ya **** puffs! you could have ridden back to crookes in about 10 minutes from there!

scunny
    Free Member

Rah rah rah, yes, i know, bad planning on our part. In my defence though, this was the only time i’ve ever been caught out/unprepared. I’d driven over to Sheffield from Scunthorpe, and taken weather advise from the other 2 people i was with that live there.

I’ve never been so cold in my life. I couldn’t tell if my fingers were even on the brake levers when i was trying to slow down.

scunny
    Free Member

ya **** puffs! you could have ridden back to crookes in about 10 minutes from there!

I know this. One of us did, but i’d left my pride back in the sleet/snow and was in no rush to find it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Oh the goodness of STW, come on to say thank you for some thing and then get slated yourself 😆

But to be fair from there you could have easily got back, frost bite wasn’t really an issue was it…

Next time look at the forecast rather than your mates best guess looking out of the window.

tracknicko
    Free Member

trying to slow down on the way uphill out into the peaks is probably what set it all off 😉

must try harder.

GW
    Free Member

Was it nightrider’s van? Thought he’d have gone for black.. anyway, you might have better luck posting on pistonheads or similar forums 😉

docrobster
    Free Member

I think 10 mins to home is a slight exaggeration, must be nearly 5 miles from dore moor inn to crookes!

scunny
    Free Member

trying to slow down on the way uphill out into the peaks is probably what set it all off

Now then Lance, we’d ridden back to the pub from just before Castleton. No doubt you’d have smashed it back to Crookes setting a PB, but we can’t all be like you can we.

tracknicko
    Free Member

ha ha don’t get touchy. just joshing ya.

my original comment +1 about you carrying on in that case though, you’d nearly made it home!

scunny
    Free Member

ha, don’t worry I’m just being facetious. I know, we should have gone on, the one of us that was wearing appropriate clothing did, but the ballerinas took the easy option. Next time, maybe.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘To the blue Transit connect in Sheffield that gave us a ride home last night.’ is closed to new replies.