Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Titanium 29er advice
  • igm

Thinking of buying 29er having played with a couple of 29ers at SSEC.

And I fancy titanium. And I want it to do both gears and SS – preferably without a singulator / doofer type attachment.

So waht's out there?

On-one, Lynskey, Singular (AKA OK price, expensive and oh my word but don't it look lovely). Anything I missed?

chainslapp
    Free Member

Slot drop out Ti 29er On One will do exactly what you want.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I'd go for a custom Strong frame. Lovely, but yes, expensive 😯

igm

At £799 (they say they'll hold the price) in 3-4 weeks time you might be right Chainslapp.

Pedalhead – that's not expensive, that's eyewatering. The sliding dropouts are an extra $250on top of the $2800 frame. Make the Singular look cheap.

chainslapp
    Free Member

If I was you, I would try and find a second hand Lynksey On One, like mine, which I have attached a pic of to whet your appetite.

markenduro
    Free Member

Get one, they are great and a bargain.
    You are welcome to try mine if you are in the mids, although it is set up as SS at the moment, have ran it geared with full xt, ss and an alfine. Running with a rear mech makes rear wheel removal a bit of a PITA but other than that they are brilliant.

twinklydave

COUGH WHEEZE SPLUTTER

from here

😀

igm

Ahh good point Twinklydave, I'd missed that one. Not sure it's the one for me as it's claiming to be arse up face down race geometry – I'm old and not as flexible as I used to be.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is that your bike clean dave – did you get the butler to do that 😉

i hope they dont sell through before i get back from equitorial guinea – that bike is fooking sweet ! no point in buying one for 3 months before 4 months off the bike though 🙁

chainslapp
    Free Member

Try again.

twinklydave

OY!
    I had some of my groupies wash it down. They'll do anything for an autograph 🙂

igm: it's a lot more forgiving that you'd think from the description – it just makes you want to go all 'head down'

singlespeedstu

There's loads of custom Ti builders out there that know how to build 29ers.

Email and phone a few, ask loads of questions then dust off your wallet. 8)

pryally
    Free Member

selling my on-one ti 29er – interested? you will have to a short arse like me though. 16"

chainslapp
    Free Member

Mark YGM

igm

singlespeedstu – I've met your crew. To keep up with the Knights it wouldn't be dusting my wallet off – it would be re-mortgaging the house.

pryally – Interested yes but unfortunately I'm 6' and take an 18" in all my other On-ones so I suspect it wouldn't be the right size for me.

That Singular still looks nice – not cheap though.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

you can get a 2010 Motobecane FLY Team 29 Ti with Reba Race 100mm
    + Avid Elixir Hydraulic Disc Brakes from bikes direct for $2000 which is quite good value

Tricone
    Free Member

Moots do a nice looking Ti 29er that can be both ss and geared.

PePPeR

I'd quite fancy a TI 29er to replace the Gary Fisher Rig that I use at the moment. I quite like the look of the On-One bikes anyone ridden the Gary Fisher and the On-One, if so what are the differences?

Would the On-One take the Reba forks? I have adjusted them to 100mm at the moment.

mick
    Free Member

selling my on-one ti 29er – interested? you will have to a short arse like me though. 16"

Might be interested, it's the right size for me

fontmoss
    Free Member

anyone ridden the Gary Fisher and the On-One, if so what are the differences?

a lot hopefully given the rig is alu

as for the OP-what stu said, jones and indy fab would be my first ports of call 🙂 not sure if vanilla do ti but they do make gorgeous bikes

Clink

Would the On-One take the Reba forks? I have adjusted them to 100mm at the moment.

Yep

miketually
    Free Member

I was going to suggest Ragley, but Dave beat me. It's rigid-only too, if you're one of those odd people who like suspension.

PePPeR

a lot hopefully given the rig is alu

I'd have thought it would have more to do with the basic geometry than the frame materials.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I'd have thought it would have more to do with the basic geometry than the frame materials.

yeah but you're not comparing like with like

Ti29er
    Free Member

+1 for the slot drop-out On-One Ti29er.
    So good, it got it's name from me!

PePPeR

but you're not comparing like with like

That was why I was asking about the differences in my original post.

fontmoss
    Free Member

sorry my point was that an alu on one and the rig are better comparisons

Clink

Another vote for the O-O ti 29er – love it. I'd like to try the Ragley for a comparison though.

fontmoss
    Free Member

that looks a very nice set up 🙂

Clink

that looks a very nice set up

I like it. The only think I've changed in well over a year is go from BB7s to Elixirs, plus I've just dropped the bars lower slightly.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Head angle on slapp's looks steeper but prob just my eyes

igm

Drifting towards the Singular at the moment

singlespeedstu

igm – Member

Drifting towards the Singular at the moment

You won't go far wrong with that.

Sam knows a thing or two about 29er designing.

Sam

IGM – drop me a mail (if you haven't already?) I may have something for you which makes the price a little more manageable…

igm

I've emailed and we spoke today on the phone

mboy
    Free Member

I'd quite fancy a TI 29er to replace the Gary Fisher Rig that I use at the moment. I quite like the look of the On-One bikes anyone ridden the Gary Fisher and the On-One, if so what are the differences?

Hehehe

I think you already know the answer to this one mate! 😉

Ok, so mine is steel not ti, but the 29er Inbred Geometry is just that bit nicer in my opinion when compared to the Rig. Maybe that's cos I found the 17.5" Rig a touch long, and my 18" Inbred (think you'd probably want the 19.5" to be fair) is about 8mm shorter in the top tube (and I fitted a 10mm shorter stem), but it definitely seems to like going down hills better than the Rig too. Ok, the steel one is heavier by probably 1.5lb, but the ti one would be ace! And it's what I'll be buying next I imagine…

Oh, and I finally got round to upping the travel on my Reba's to 100mm too. What a difference! Both in function, and the geometry of the bike. I ride my 29er Inbred down stuff like a DH bike, it just glides over stuff that I'd be skipping about on on my 26" wheeled hardtail, it makes riding full suspension redundant for pretty much most of the time too!

Also, if you want the lightweight, but not the high price, I understand the Scandal's are quite forgiving for an ally frame, and obviously the price is much easier to swallow than a Ti frame.

Sam

The dots are connected igm.

igm

I'll put the order in next week.

jonjones13
    Free Member

If you want REALLY nice any one of the following would be a fabulous ride:

Steve Potts
    Kent Eriksen
    Black Sheep Cycles
    Moots
    Independent Fabrication
    Jim Kish
    Jeff Jones
    Matt Chester

Sam

I don't think Matt Chester is building any more. The others are all good, and all american. Besides, I already have his money 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Titanium 29er advice’ is closed to new replies.