Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • tips for riding down steep hills mtb
  • richi
    Free Member

Right so been out on the bike yesterday and desided to man up and go down some very steep rocky hills, just after some tips really as when I was going down them I never felt in control, I found myself leaning all the way behind my seatpost so my ass was nearly touching my back tyre which didn’t feel the correct place to.be. So where sould I be positioned on the bike when the hill is about 80-90 % and any other tips would be welcome

Duane…
    Free Member

To the side of the bike, with both feet firmly on the ground. Walking.

(Only applies if you are riding an Orange 5 on a “black” trail centre route.)

druidh
    Free Member

A 90% slope is commonly called a cliff. A parachute would be more appropriate.

richi
    Free Member

Sorry more a 70-80 then

wolfenstein
    Free Member

For £60-80. I can answer your question 🙂

Bike school. 😛

To be honest, both feet firmly on pedal and level.. Weight slightly at the back..not too much that would compromise steering. Attack position.. And hardest part.. Commit to your line ( the moment you doubt it, it will go south). And hope for the best 🙄 .. Works for me 99% of the time..(some i dont know how i went through, trust the bike). The 1% i got cocky and almost took my face off them rocks.

And yah dont dont look at that rock youre trying to avoid, for some weird reason you gonna hit it

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Don’t look at things you don’t want to ride into / over or you will.

look only where you want to go.

Standing in a neutral position, best foot forwards, pedals level, got for it and allow the front of the bike to drop down extending arms and dropping back to stay central over the pedals, vertically speaking. You may wish to hang your arse out a bit be squatting low.

you have to keep some weight over the forks or you may loose steering control, hence your

I was going down them I never felt in control

feeling.

sounds like you are hanging out the back too much

sparkyrhino

+1^^,use your body to steer more.ride back up and do it again,and again.

pussywillow
    Free Member

You’ve got to know you can ride the line before you attempt it, 90% is positive thinking and commitment, nice loose n relaxed and focused!

Duane… – Member
    To the side of the bike, with both feet firmly on the ground. Walking.
    (Only applies if you are riding an Orange 5 on a “black” trail centre route.)
    POSTED 22 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

If your not capable of riding a steep descent on a orange 5 then I’m afraid you’ll struggle on anything!
    Especially if its only a black run.

druidh
    Free Member

What was that WHOOSH! sound?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Top tip I got from coaching ( stu at forest freeride he’s good book a day) : if you look at scary stuff you will be scared and end up braking badly, hanging off the back and wrestling the bike into a crash. Instead, work out where you will safely brake AFTER the slope and totally focus on that. Now roll up to it, ride down it with feet up, no brakes and no hanging back. Do you know what happens next? The bike rolls rapidly with perfect tracking down the slope and then you come into the braking area you looked at where you control you speed. And you wonder what you were stressing about.

Caveat: mountain biking involves risk and personal decision making. I take no responsibility for any possible injury arising from this advice 😉

davidjones15
    Free Member

What was that WHOOSH! sound?

That was the OP coming down his 70-80% hill.

Northwind

To the OP- no disrespect but “coming down some hills” and “70%-80%” don’t really tally. Are these Pinkbike Degrees?

dreednya

We have a long bedrock descent that averages 25% and goes to 39% in places and it is a slide as fast as you feel you can safely and let go of the brakes for the really steep sections, Good fun and less scary at night when you can’t see the exposure on one side and concentrate on the beam of light pointing down 🙂

For comparison, the World Cup descent on the Dyfi Enduro is at its steepest only 25% 😯

[steepness has been taken off Strava so not sure how accurate, but must be comparing apples with apples]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘tips for riding down steep hills mtb’ is closed to new replies.