Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • time or shimano spd's?
  • ton

not ridden in spd’s for 6 years, apart from 1 week on some dreadfull shimano am45 clog type things, which hurt my feet.

gonna have a try with clipless again on my tourer, got my eye on some casual looking dzr shoes with a sole you can walk about in, dont want disc slippers.
    looking for some pedals with a bit of side to side movement. never used time pedals, are they worth a shot?

Denis99
    Free Member

Time pedals on all my bike, road and mtb.

Work well for me, also seem pretty robust, no amount of clattering and pedal clips, haven’t given me any reliability issues at all.

IHN

Wot he said

hambl90
    Free Member

Time here too.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Done Time , no not that ! All went loose and each repair kit from Chickens cost twice as much as 2 pairs of 540 shimanos. So sold the pedals as being rattly and stuck with shimano without any issues at all.

iainc

Time on all bikes, maintenance free and good for dodgy knees.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I’ve had both for years and still trying to decide which one I should stay with. They are both great, sorry not much help. I won’t be buying am45’s again though. Clogs is an apt description, sweaty clogs.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Times for me too on all MTBs

(Shimano on the road bike though, more out of coincidence than anything, but I’m happy with them)

Kamakazie

I moved from SPD to Time & much prefer them.
    More positive engagement generally, and lots better in mud. The float is also great for the knees.

Only downside is that it is tough to find deals on them / 2nd hand bargains.

IHN

Done Time , no not that ! All went loose and each repair kit from Chickens cost twice as much as 2 pairs of 540 shimanos. So sold the pedals as being rattly and stuck with shimano without any issues at all.

And in true STW-contrariness stylee, I don’t think I’ve ever worn a pair out, or had them go rattly, even the cleats have outlasted the shoes they’ve been attached to…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Same here, i’ve been on time since the mid 80s (since lemond won the tour on a pair) worn out one pair of road pedals after about 10 years (my first pair).
    Worn out one pair of MTB pedals (the ones with the yellow plastic inserts) that took more than 10 years.

Broken two pairs of road pedals and one pair of mtb pedals, all after crashes which either destroyed a bike or put me in an ambulance. Or both.

The years i’ve been on sponsor kit (shimano, look and wellgo from memory) it’s been a couple of pairs of pedals a year and a good few sets of cleats.

mattbee

Time, although I’ve no idea what any of their pedals newer than 5 years are like as I can’t get any of them to die.
    I do have a pair of cheap Shimano which are absolutely fine, if I was trying to do it as cheap as possible that’s what I’d buy but Time are fantastic for dodgy knees and in my experience never die, even if they do cost a bit more.

warpcow
    Free Member

Another vote for Time. Done Shimano (started on them for years, tried again couple of yrs ago too), and Time are at least as reliable as them and just outright better in every other way.

Junkyard
    Free Member

TIME for me never worn any out though I have worn out cleats

I can lend you a pair of time[and cleats] if you want to give them a try

Andy

Switched to Time after knee problems with Shimano 20 years ago and never looked back. Like Junkyard I probably have some old pedals in the shed you can have if you want to try them out

Clobber
    Free Member

Time – everytime… and if you don’t like them email me and I’ll buy them off you 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

iainc – Member

Time on all bikes…good for dodgy knees.

Why’s that?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lateral float

Bedds
    Free Member

Time for me, I went from Shimano XTR to Time Atac MX8’s

The Times are the best pedal I’ve ever ridden on and will put Time on any bike from now on

MaryHinge
    Free Member

TIME.

Got some that are 5+ years old that refuse to die, plus some newer ones (ok they are 4+ years old) which are like new.

Used on mtb and commuter in all weathers.

I also find that my foot doesn’t slide off if I don’t clip in first time, whereas my foot used to skate straight off the pedal with Shimano 540s.

Shimano are good reliable pedals, but I prefer everything about TIME pedals.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

4 pairs of Time ATACs here (3 carbon, 1 non carbon), good for my creaky knees and one set has done over 20000km in all weathers with no maintenance! Would heartily recommend.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve swapped to Shaimno.

Time were good, but I didn’t like that
    a) As they wore out they felt looser and looser, shimano just seem to not click when they reach a certain point. They also last longer.
    b) Maybe it’s only the entry level ones, but the pedals never lasted very long.
    c) the bodies wore out after about 3 cleats.

Then Tried eggbeaters, better in every way than time, apart from reliability.

So then went to shimano. Their only downsides are, they don’t deal with snow/ice at all, it’s not a “they’re not as good as…..”, they’re absolutely a non starter unless you spend time after every stop bashing the ice off your shoe.

Cleats last several times longer, and not worn a pedal out yet. and my dodgy knees haven’t noticed any issues, might even be better without the spring loaded feel of time/eggbeaters.

Del

Then Tried eggbeaters, better in every way than time, apart from reliability.

to put it mildly i disagree. to change to time i changed 5 sets of pedals. time are better in every single respect.
    eggbeaters are unmitigated garbage.

jacksprogis
    Free Member

Crank brothers.

So much better feeling than both time and shimano.

I liked shimano but had to run them stupidly tight or I’d slide out when moto whipping or hitting corners hard.

ton

2 x pair of time mx4 ordered. we will see. may be in classifieds in a week.

iainc

^^^ ton, those ones are crap, you would be better on the xc4 or xc2

here

exupmonkey
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of MX4’s, I like them.

iainc

^^^ there are a lot of not great reviews of them, whereas the xc4’s seem closer to the old atac aliums that we all loved 🙂

jairaj

If reliability is high your list of requirements i’d go for Time. I have a riding buddy who is useless at maintaining his bike. Just lets things go rusty or fall apart and then rides them a bit more before considering changing or fixing them. So far I don’t think he’s managed to break the time pedals he’s had for years, they don’t even sound dry or squeaky. Trust me that’s high praise for the reliability of any part. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time. Anything else is wrong.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘time or shimano spd's?’ is closed to new replies.