Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Thred gone in stem what can I do ( helicoil )
  • ruffriders
    Free Member

My Thred in my sunline v one stem has gone as I’ve tightened the bolt too much. just wondering if it’s worth geting it looked at rather than spend another £60-70. Any idea wat I can dovand a idea of costs

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

thats a really bad idea. buy a new one.

coffeeking
    Free Member

A properly done helicoil in an aluminium base material will be stronger than the original thread. No reason why not if you can do it properly.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Most things can be helicoiled, A kit is £20 – 30 or getting one done by an engineer / bike shop will be a similar amount.

Is it worth it for a stem? I doubt it.

sweepy
    Free Member

I drilled out a stripped stem thread and re tapped for the next size up bolt. I only really did it to try out a cheap set of tap and dies, so its had no real use, but appears fine.

andyl
    Free Member

Pretty sure I said this yesterday….

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-please-threading-gone-in-sunline-stem

Maybe take a picture of the front of the stem with no face plate on so we can see how much meat there is to drill into.

Oh and buy yourself a torque key (about £13 set to 5nm)

Northwind

You could get it helicoiled… Or, you could get a perfectly good new stem for much less than that. Pro, Gusset Staff, etc.

oxnop
    Free Member

I did the same yesterday on my 4 mth old v1. I’d just serviced 3 sets of forks and was fitting the last stem.

Defo not overtightened, was just nipping up (as I had done on the previous 2) never known this to haapen before.

coatesy
    Free Member

We’d normally charge a tenner to fit one helecoil, so worth shopping around and getting it done.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Thred gone in stem what can I do ( helicoil )’ is closed to new replies.