• This topic has 127 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by PJay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Thou Shalt Not Cycle During the Royal Funeral
  • kimbers

Wtf

BillOddie

They can, to be blunt, do one…

teethgrinder

**** right orf

longdog
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing, Just told my mate he’ll have to walk from GrAviemore to the north link ferry on Monday 🤣

Oddly enough I doubt he will!

kelvin

We should think ourselves lucky. People who were preparing for the funerals of their own loved ones on Monday have been told they can’t take place. I’d rather be a cyclist a bit miffed at BC, than bereaved and being told the funeral you planned can’t take place. It’s all a bit much, isn’t it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

WTAF indeed. I didn’t realise BC was aware people just go “out riding their bike” unless it’s an Olympic discipline I wasn’t aware of?

seriousrikk

Well I am working but I may take an hour out at 11 to ride my bike. Paths will be quiet and frankly British Cycling can go fk themselves.

I know they have to put the strongest message of support out but that should stop with organised rides

supernova

I’m definitely going to be out on my bike to miss all the crazy mass hysteria that has gripped this country.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do we run the risk of being arrested for expressing anti royal sentiment if caught riding on Monday?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Bizarre, utterly utterly bizarre statement to make!!

teethgrinder

No one can catch us. They’ll all be mourning or risk imprisonment themselves.

chrismac

Bid brother is now taking the p*$$. We are on holiday riding in the Lake District so will be up a hill somewhere. I might well watch the highlights in the evening

chrismac

Are all roads going to be closed and all footpaths to make sure the plebs are mourning suitably in front of the TV

longdog
    Free Member

There’ll maybe the ‘home guard’ out to catch anyone not at home at the telly and chase them down.

Our local authority are also closing toilets Monday ‘as a sign of respect’,so hedge backs only if you’re out in Angus 🤣

convert

Yep – line well and truly overstepped.

People who were preparing for the funerals of their own loved ones on Monday have been told they can’t take place.

Hadn’t thought of that – that’s properly putting you in your place. Riffraff need to wait for their elders and betters for their turn in the furnace.

edit – my council (Highland) is being far more reasonable…

Waste collections will continue on that day although actual collections times may vary. Arrangements are being made to facilitate weddings, burials and cremations that have already been booked to take place on Monday 19 September.

somafunk

I think a fitting tribute to the queen should involve a few hundred wheelie adept scrotes following the procession throughout London, what a fitting tribute to her maj.

csb

As with the FAs daft decision to ban grassroots footy for kids last weekend, this is another organisation that is making themelves look utterly stupid with their virtue signalling.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I think a fitting tribute to the queen should involve a…

Lot of people just keeping calm and carrying on to be honest.

I can’t imagine that someone who worked until their penultimate day of life would really want us all to make much of a fuss.

– that said I suppose if they advised us all to simply dress fully in mourning black but cycle as normal it would go down well with a lot of people.

savoyad

Has this been removed from the website? https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/20220909-about-bc-news-Guidance-for-the-period-of-National-Mourning-0

Or is there a more detailed version of the advice?#

EDIT Curious – I clicked again and sometimes that bit is there, sometimes it’s not.

binners

Have British Cycling got a list of activities that are approved by them for Monday?

or is it exclusively watching royal funerals?

crazy-legs

I remember riding on the day of Diana’s funeral. Roads in London were absolutely deserted. I did make sure to stay well away from central London though cos I iz well respekful like that.

FOG

This seems the perfect date for a mass cycle afterall, everybody is on holidy

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If the weather is decent, I hope there aren’t police stop barriers on the roads. I might end up in prison after trying to break through screaming “Freedom!”. 😆

dissonance

EDIT Curious – I clicked again and sometimes that bit is there, sometimes it’s not.

I suspect its being load balanced between a couple (or more) servers one of which has it and one doesnt.
    I wonder which is the more up to date. Possibly someone has realised how moronic it is.

desperatebicycle

I’m wasn’t planning on it, but I’m going to go for a ride during the funeral now. Naked, with tassles on my nipples. Playing a bugle.

IdleJon

I’m wasn’t planning on it, but I’m going to go for a ride during the funeral now. Naked, with tassles on my nipples. Playing a bugle.

Have you thought about skin painting yourself as a Union Flag? Just to make it respectful.

MoreCashThanDash

Not sure why there is any surprise at this – British Cycling asking clubs not to do events due to the funeral of the British monarch seems pretty much what I’d expect, simply from a PR point of view if nothing else.

I’m not a BC member, so I’ll ride on Monday. Probably not during the funeral itself, as I expect the cafes will be shut.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

People who were preparing for the funerals of their own loved ones on Monday have been told they can’t take place.

Is this for real??

convert

British Cycling asking clubs not to do events due to the funeral of the British monarch seems pretty much what I’d expect, simply from a PR point of view if nothing else.

Thats not the section people are objecting to.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not sure why there is any surprise at this – British Cycling asking clubs not to do events due to the funeral of the British monarch seems pretty much what I’d expect, simply from a PR point of view if nothing else.

read the section in the red box

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Is this for real??

Well it’s a Bank Holiday, so I’d expect so.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Looks like the advice has just changed. Can’t see the bit advising against going for a ride anymore

EDIT. It is still there

desperatebicycle

Not sure why there is any surprise at this – British Cycling asking clubs not to do events due to the funeral of the British monarch seems pretty much what I’d expect,

That’s not the bit that was highlighted, so not the bit anyone (else) is talking about.

voodoo-rich

Even my other half thought it would be a good day to get out for a ride… our usual National Trust cafe stop appears to be closed Monday. Guess that’s understandable!

K

Going to have to quickly buy a rear wheel drive car and go take up drifting while the roads are quiet and take advantage of knowing that I’ll safely only run over cyclists that are not abiding.

joe-m

well now I’m going to wear my sex pistols shirt while I cycle instead of a normal riding top.

tonyd

Do we run the risk of being arrested for expressing anti royal sentiment if caught riding on Monday?

I know this was tongue in cheek, however I’m a card carrying royalist and if the weather is nice on Monday I’ll almost certainly be riding instead of sitting in front of the telly box all day

Edit: I’m also a member of BC, and they can f*ck right off!

oldenough
    Free Member

Is this for real??

I wondered, but apparently not.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/funerals-cancelled-queen-september-monday-b2166065.html

As for going on a ride just please yourself, nobody is going to stop you.

escrs
    Free Member

I was out riding my bike when Diana’s funeral was taking place

I was out riding my bike when the Queen mother’s funeral took place

I was out riding my bike when Prince Phillip’s funeral took place

Ill be out riding my bike when the Queen’s funeral takes place

Ill be out riding my bike when Charles funeral takes place

Ill be riding my bike when Prince William’s funeral takes place (if i out live him)

When i die i want my friends to be out riding their bikes to my funeral!

kelvin

I wondered, but apparently not.

Funerals are being cancelled “rescheduled”. All that article says it that there isn’t a blanket ban on funerals on Monday, or any instructions from government or any national body that they shouldn’t take place.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.