Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Thomson x4 stem question
  • haddock
    Free Member

this one

The back of the x4 stem looks open, so is the steerer is exposed? Or is there a sleave that fits in it os something else?

I know this sounds like a stupid question given the pic but I have a steel steerer and think surface rust would start building up.

smell_it
    Free Member

Yep, it's open and you can see the steerer.

el_diablo
    Free Member

Yes it is exposed!

haddock
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, wont suit me then, thanks. 😉

JoeNation
    Free Member

Just put some laquer or nail varnish on the steerer (make sure it's dry before you fit the stem).

JoeNation
    Free Member

Having said that I've never seen rust in that situation.

PJ266
    Free Member

Any surface rust will have **** all effect, what about the 6 inches of steerer tube exposed inside the headtube?? or at the bottom of the forks?? Or inside the steerer tube, I bet theres loads of rust in there.

chvck
    Free Member

I run a x4, no rust on my steerer. As PJ266 says; how about rust on the inside of the steerer that's got in from the base?

haddock
    Free Member

my question is for purely for cosmetic reason, obviously I dont think its going to rust apart. 🙄

chvck
    Free Member

Well you could always get one and just wipe down the exposed part post-ride?!

brakes
    Free Member

best
    stem
    ever

fact

geetee1972
    Free Member

Surely there aren't that many forks around these days with steel steerer tubes? I thought most of them had aluminum alloy steerers.

PJ266
    Free Member

Sorry, I forget some people care about the cosmetics of their bikes.

chvck
    Free Member

Sorry, I forget some people care about the cosmetics of their bikes.

Pot, kettle etc…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Thomson x4 stem question’ is closed to new replies.