Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • This MTB and beer thing..
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Why are they so closely related?

Post ride pints? Stupid idea. Never done it, never wanted to. Beer is the last thing you want after a ride.

And surely drinking before or during riding is even more stupid.

Someone else was saying how all these adverts that link MTBing to beer are annoying, just made me think about it a bit more. Does it annoy anyone else?

stumpy01

Never bothered me in the slightest.

I wouldn't drink if I was intending to partake in cycling on the road shortly afterwards, but would think nothing of getting back from a hard day's riding on holiday in Spain and cracking open a beer or two while waiting for dinner, followed by several glasses of wine at dinner.

Beer is the last thing you want after a ride.

Hmmm, it's normally quite near the top of my list, and a decent amount of carbs can't hurt (erm, surely….?!)

neil853
    Free Member

Post ride pints? Stupid idea. Never done it, never wanted to. Beer is the last thing you want after a ride

but it does taste good 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

same as the singlespeed thing. why do you have to have witty 'one effing speed' sticker, a beerbottle top stem cap and drink american microbrewery ale and malt whiskey?

why can't you just have a bike with one gear that you sometimes ride instead of your other bikes?

i really don't get the tribal social outcast collective naval gazing thing that's associated with riding a bike with no gears.

i like beer and i like cycling, i prefer to keep them separate.

william
    Free Member

Better give up MTB if it is interfering with my drinking then.

Peyote
    Free Member

Nope, I really like MTBing and really like beer too. Beer isn't always the first thing I want after a ride, but it is often quite high on my list of priorities.

I can understand if you don't like beer though. If you don't like MTBing you're in the wrong place!

Hang on though, is this another of those threads that relate to previous threads where everything is tongue in cheek, but only those who are real-regular on the forum know about it? If so, feel free to "whoosh".

shortcut

I often have a beer or two after a ride. Nothing wrong with that.

On a lazy weekend ride I have been known to have one mid ride too! Providing I know or can select the trails that are coming up!

I can however understand people who are more serious, training or indeed teatotal not wanting to have a sociable beer preferring something soft or indeed going home straight after a ride.

Each to their own!

duntstick
    Free Member

One of the few things I miss about the UK is post ride beer drinking, covered in shite, with mates and the craic that goes with it……

thomthumb
    Free Member

last after a sit down and a trip to the bar. yes.

realman are you really real because you claim to be in your 20s but you sound more boring than an old vicar.

And surely drinking before or during riding is even more stupid.

lol – 40mpg ride. 🙂

heuer27
    Free Member

Got to confess to having a half and half shandy after the odd ride. That works big time. Don't know why, just does and now I've outed myself on tinternet, a northern shandy drinker. Somebody shoot me now !!

RealMan
    Free Member

you claim to be in your 20s

???

No I don't?

You might as well have a few post ride fags IMO if you're going to drink alcohol after a ride. I enjoy alcohol as much as the next guy, but I can still understand that the mixing of the two is pointless.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Stopping at a pub during a ride can be great. A swift half pint was the best way of getting my sister to tackle a very rooty bit of track alongside the river Arun. I think it helped her relax a little.

z1ppy

defintiely time to change your username, a 'Realman' who doesn't drink beer post or mid ride? Pah!

Pierre

Hang on though, is this another of those threads that relate to previous threads where everything is tongue in cheek, but only those who are real-regular on the forum know about it? If so, feel free to "whoosh".

No, I think it's referring to the thread about Privateer magazine's launch where they talk about mountain bikers bonding over trails and sweat and beer.

I don't ride mountain bikes to train, I ride them to have fun. This may be why I never properly "compete" in races, but a post-ride pint with mates always seems an excellent idea to me.

The microbrewery single malt beardy obscure coffee singlespeed thing is just another form of niche, or niche-ism, take that or leave it.

: P

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I bimble around a landscape peppered with fine pubs selling awesome local beer and cider. Alcohol doesn't help my riding, but since skill has never troubled me much, a pint of beer makes no noticable difference.

Cheers!

timraven

I live above the pub, some days I really look forward to getting home and downing a tasty 'energy' beer 😆 and somedays I don't.

I like beer and riding, not at the same time and I don't drink before a ride, 'cos I already think I'm indestructible and a couple of beers would just be trouble 😈

Pierre

A swift half pint was the best way of getting my sister to tackle a very rooty bit of track alongside the river Arun.

Often take a hip flask of port out when mtb'ing with Mrs. Pierre, can help overcome nerves in small quantities…

will
    Free Member

Cool init.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

nothing wrong with it in moderation, it's just that moderation afetr a ride might not be the same as moderation after the office.

It's not uncommon for TdF pros to have a bottle of beer or glass of wine with a meal after a stage; if there was a victory within the team, a glass of champagne with dessert too!

poppa
    Free Member

collective naval gazing

Hey guys, lets go look at them submarines!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If an MTB ride finishes after 4pm, then it's a beer, If a MTB ride finishes prior to 4pm it's a cup of tea or coffee, no alcohol after road rides though.

Whatever happens though, the one thing I would never do is wear a king of the mountains jersey – ever.

poppa
    Free Member

I enjoy alcohol as much as the next guy, I can still understand that the mixing of the two is pointless.

In other news, performing activities one finds enjoyable is pointless.

woody2000

You might as well have a few post ride fags IMO if you're going to drink alcohol after a ride

Why? I bet you can't actually justify this, you just want to sound all serious and clean living and sh*t. Lighten up, riding's not just about "training", it can be a social activity too.

RealMan should maybe try some RealAle apres ride, or are you scared you might like it? 🙄

RealMan
    Free Member

you just want to sound all serious and clean living and sh*t.

I probably drink as much as most people, if not more. And I don't really like all this real ale stuff, I prefer a nice cold strongbow tbh. Keep your beard on.

Alcohol does the opposite to a decent recovery food or drink. And even when it is a social activity rather then anything else, I still don't get the point. If I go riding I will have fun. I will have a nice buzz for a few hours afterwards, or even longer depending on the ride. I don't feel the need to supplement that with alcohol.

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

The OP is very,very funny.Best not ride with me then.
    Anyone got some rizla and a bottle opener please…then I'll fix this puncture

Pierre

Some people don't like beer.

This is fine.

It's not exactly the most healthy thing you can put in your body, but it's nowhere near as harmful as a lot of other things, and as a relaxing post-ride drink with friends it's got a lot of fans.

Smoking is a little different. That's definitely harmful, but certainly doesn't always stop you being incredibly fit:

😉

trb
    Free Member

Riding is sociable, drinking beer is sociable, therefore they go together.

Obviously, sociable riding is done at a different level than balls-out coughing-up-a-lung training rides, so beer is probably not appropriate there.

I did once ride with a group I didn't know who advertised their ride as "A pootle around with a pint in the pub midway". 8 people and the only one who had a pint was me! So as with many MTB things, we are sometimes better at talking about it than actually doing it!

FB-ATB

Couldn't think of ending a day's riding without a trip to Bar Robinson!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

"To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman" (Jacques Anquetil – 5 times winner of the TDF)

RealMan
    Free Member

Obviously, sociable riding is done at a different level than balls-out coughing-up-a-lung training rides

Really? We have great social night rides our area, but they really are fast paced. As in, people do get dropped. But they are great fun.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Post ride beers are mostly a "on holiday" thing. Come screaming down some balls out descent, straight onto the bar terrace. "dix grande bieres, s'il vous plait". Shame its always pap beer, but it still is cold and wet.

Would never occur to me to do it at home. Always got to drive somewhere, and it's usually cold and wet. Cuppa tea territory if there's a caff handy, maybe. Kind of a shame as the beer is better.

Can't say it's exactly a matter of life and death either way though.

yunki
    Free Member

If I'm riding alone or with mates that don't drink then I'll probably not really think about any ride related drinking..

However.. If I'm riding with mates that enjoy relaxing in the homely and welcoming atmosphere of the boozer.. with the warm glow of a favourite tipple coursing through a tired old bod.. then I see no reason to swerve it on account of piety..

The two groups never meet.. It would be akin to yer average STW online conflict.. but with more blood and faeces and hair and teeth..

Isn't the OP a little errr youthful for legal drinking anyway?

Lifer
    Free Member

Not just mtb, I play five a side in my local park at least once a week and as soon as it's too dark we're off for a pint and a chat.

binners

I'm off for a ride right now. Its a lovely sunny day and we shall be availing ourselves of the charms of the local beer garden when we're done, as we take in the sight of the local gayers disappearing off into the bushes to bum each other

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We have great social night rides our area, but they really are fast paced. As in, people do get dropped. But they are great fun.

I bet the riders you enjoy dropping in some dark woodland with no idea where they are, just love it.

FraserHughes
    Free Member

If you weren't meant to drink and ride why can you open beer wih SPDs?! 🙄

Mmm .. Beer by wintericemonkey, on Flickr

Splash-man
    Free Member

We have great social night rides our area, but they really are fast paced. As in, people do get dropped.

So not particularly sociable for the people that get dropped then…..

And since when should I not have a beverage of my choice when I return home or stop at a pub ?
    Sometimes I have tea, sometimes hot chocolate, sometimes beer. Why shouldn't I ??

edit: damn beaten to it by Buzz

vdubber67
    Free Member

RealMan – Member

Someone else was saying how all these adverts that link MTBing to beer are annoying, just made me think about it a bit more. Does it annoy anyone else?

Annoys me too, although if you were talking about the Privateer thread, the 'someone else' was actually me I guess! 🙂

trb
    Free Member

Really? We have great social night rides our area, but they really are fast paced. As in, people do get dropped. But they are great fun

Then we'll have to agree to disagree on what sociable means.
    We'll have to go riding together sometime – you can drop me and I'll stop for a pint, the perfect ride for all parties!

For the record, I'll be riding the long way home in a minute and have 4 pints of pedigree with my name on at home, but this thread has made me thirsty so I might have to supplement that with a pint of Village Idiot as I go past the local micro brewery pub

Splash-man
    Free Member

The OP shoots himself in foot ?

RealMan – Member
    A level results came out yesterday, lots of mates going lower then what they needed to get in, and still getting in. I needed 3 As, got myself A*AAB. Pretty pleased.

Off to Exeter around October time to do lots of cycling, drinking, badminton, and maybe a bit of maths if I feel up to it. Can't wait.

Posted 1 week ago # Report-Post

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘This MTB and beer thing..’ is closed to new replies.