Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • This Friday 24th June – 'SDW in a Day' – who's in? Roll call!!
  • psychle
    Free Member

Following on from this thread….

Forecast is looking better… rising pressure over the week (up to 1022mb by Friday), no fronts coming through that I can see, looks like we might have our window chaps! I’m certainly not fit enough, but what the hell, let’s give it a go! 😀

Will still make my final call tomorrow morning, but looking 90% likely that I’ll be in Winchester Thursday night, with an approx 5am/dawn start planned for Friday morning, will spend the weekend in Eastbourne (wife meeting me there with clothes etc) so no pressure to arrive before any particular time (though before dark would be nice!)

So, who’s in? And what’s your plan? Staying in Winchester or Eastbourne before/after? Got a car? Arranged for a bail out option to come pick you up if need be?

Looking forward to this, fingers crossed the weather doesn’t change, but it’s looking good just now! 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

5am start?!

Crikey!

I’m in, looks like I’ll be trying to find somewhere to Bivi for the night then!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You’re mental. Good luck to you mind, and I’m sure you’ll complete it, but you’re still mental.

Robert Mark DuPre will rip your legs off, as he is a proper Riding God. Top ten finisher in international mounting bike events, in’t he?

DezB
    Free Member

Robert Mark DuPre will rip your legs off, as he is a proper Riding God

I heard he’s joining Newforce…

psychle
    Free Member

Robert Mark DuPre

Who’s he on the forum then? He can encourage/drag me along 😀

I’m in, looks like I’ll be trying to find somewhere to Bivi for the night then!

Come stay with Piha & I, you can sleep on the floor or something?

barn
    Free Member

I’m in.
    Thankfully the forecast of ‘hail’ has changed!

Am getting train from London to Winch on Thursday, staying with my ex-stepmum (mildly odd).
    Will peel off a tad early as am kipping with mates in Brighton on Friday night.

This will be my first long MTB ride. Am nervous and excited in equal measure. I’m keen to stay on the wheels of someone who knows the route.

Am thinking of riding my Boardman FS rather than Inbred as I think it might be a bit more comfortable… does that make sense over the distance?

DezB
    Free Member

Who’s he on the forum then? He can encourage/drag me along

He’s not actually “Robert Mark Dupre”, that was his Team Bullheart name… singletrackmind or Rob the Brewer are his usual titles.

psychle
    Free Member

He’s the brewer right? Often on a carbon Proflex of some sort? Good guy 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Brewer – correct.
    Proflex – correct.
    Good guy – erm…

😉

mivi
    Free Member

Just perusing stw for the first time in months and stumbled on this. If RDP decides the weather is right then i might just take the whimsical decision to tag on……….somewhat different to the Friday I had planned a few minutes ago with Ben & Jerry & matinee cinema!
    Just warning, I will need one heck of a pep-talk at devils dyke to carry on rather than divert to the sofa and beer in my fridge just 5 minutes away.
    Now where exactly is the meet point?
    Michael

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No Dez he’s an incredibly handsome Riding God!

(Free beer, innit? Best be nice and that…)

mivi
    Free Member

…one half of the r&d department – correct.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Trail conditions are a bit “interesting” at the moment, 1″ slop on top of hard ground make for interesting riding. Having said that, most of the route is rocky / flinty hardpack so shoudlnt be too bad.

So i’ll be interested to hear how you lot get on, as Im doing QEP to Brighton a week on sat. Could really do with a nice warm dry spell to dry things out a bit.

wwaswas

I’m doing one of the Wiggle rides (44 miles) on the Downs around Goodwood on Sunday.

I was up on the Downs around Devils Dyke at the weekend and it was riding fine but I’ll read about progress on this with interest.

psychle
    Free Member

Just warning, I will need one heck of a pep-talk at devils dyke to carry on rather than divert to the sofa and beer in my fridge just 5 minutes away.

Some sort of Braveheart like speech perhaps? Should I bring some blue paint? 😀 TBH, reckon I’m going to need a major kick up the arse at that point as well!! Maybe you can get someone to meet us there with a refreshing beer to help us soldier on eh? 😉

piha
    Free Member

I’m as ready as I’ll ever be. 😕

Twin room booked in the Holiday Inn here – http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/gb/en/winchester/soawc/hoteldetail/local-city-guide-directions – I’m sure a Yeti can be smuggled in. I’ve got a bit of cover if I need to bail as I’m not underestimating the S.D.W in a Day.

Barn – I’d go F.S, just for the comfort.

Hopefully catch a train back on Friday night but will have a bank card on me if I need a hotel!!!

P.S – please don’t mention the words “sofa” and “beer” when I’m feeling knackered cos the temptation would be too much…..

singletrackmind

Piha, We can get beers on the train on the way home from Eastbourne .

Been off the pop for about a month as Im sure it helps fitness if you refrain from getting battered after a long ride.

Quick checklist

Malt Loaf , Compressed to 1″ Large size
    Fig rolls.
    Gels , Only if you know you get on with them.
    Banananas
    Ibuprofen
    Sun Tan cream
    Arse Cream .- I have a few sachets , as you will need a top up
    cash and credit card
    2 Tubes , PRK , Speed link , pump.
    Peanuts or Cashews
    High 5 Zero tabs
    Sunnys
    Flapjacks

Targets are 4 hours @ 9mph av. ,4 hours at 8mph av., 4 hours @ 7mph.

13 – 13 1/2 including stops, which will be frquent and short ( 3 mins)
    No Tea rooms / burger Vans unless absolutely neccessary.

And i am still waiting till wed eve to double check all the weather sites

nedrapier

Don’t forget to factor in 5mins for a mandatory icecream from the van at Ditchling Beacon.

Unless he’s only there at weekends?

psychle
    Free Member

I’m loving your military like organisation Rob, you’re going to get me through! 😀

Piha, am I sharing that twin room with you?

Weather report continues to look good, particularly liking the rising barometer, generally means clear weather on it’s way!

singletrackmind

MIVI = MD?

psychle
    Free Member

Now where exactly is the meet point?

That’s a good question… where is it?? 😕

wwaswas

There’s a nice tea rooms thing at Seddlescombe now about 4 miles before the Beacon.

singletrackmind

Officially the statue of king Alfred in the town . Or the sensible choice of the Bar End Car Park, which is a mile or so south . Gives a more logical tarmac route up through the village of Chilcomb , up a short ‘cheeky’ to the SDW proper a mile or so from Cheesefoot Head.

piha
    Free Member

I understand the start point is the King Alfred Statue in Winchester, about a mile down the road from the Holiday Inn.

Psychle – Your down for sharing the twin.

EDIT; Too slow

DezB
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member
    MIVI = MD?

Yep, looks like it to me.
    Have a good one chaps!

nuke

Yep although currently I’ll be taking a more tail-end charlie approach as I’m intending to get the train down on the day. Reckon I’ll be starting at 7:45 😯

…I’ll be packing a torch 😉

Sorry to be missing you all at the start but hopefully be seeing you all at the finish.

avdave2

Don’t forget to factor in 5mins for a mandatory icecream from the van at Ditchling Beacon.

It was there at 6:15 last Tuesday.

bigyinn
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member
    PRK

Proflex Repair Kit? 😆

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’m game……….

Getting off the 0100 train at winchester and starting there and then(no point in trying to sleep as I’ll be like a kid on christmas morning), no idea how long I’ll take but if I make it to Eastbourne I’ll be riding back to the 8 bells in Jevington for a pint or two!

I shall be on my gold and black Trek HT.

nuke

😯 Fair play Mr Merciless

…I’m hoping to still be tucked up in bed when the main group starts 😀

spacemonkey

Good luck to you all you lucky bastards.

I trained to do this last year but ran out of time with Spacemonkey jnr appearing in the autumn. And then I started training again this year but haven’t been able to get out for nearly 6 weeks due to work/family commitments. Gutted I can’t make it, if only for half the distance … because it’s also the missus’ birthday on Sat. Oh well, there’s always next time.

Be sure to update us with what happens. And pics. We need pics. And pray for a tailwind on those ridges.

theotherjonv

unfortunately due to work I’m going to have to declare ‘out’ for my SDW to Shoreham and then Downslink home variant.

Have a great one, keep smiling, and hope the wind’s at your backs for the whole day.

Next time……..

mivi
    Free Member

Mivi=MD yup.
    I’ll drive over in the morning I think as 2 less hours in my own bed versus 2 more in the campervan probably balances out.
    Anyone know if there’s any unrestricted unmetered parking near the start as I might not get back for the vehicle until Sunday at best?
    I have an added challenge in that i’ve got to come out of this able to wheelbarrow 2 cu mtrs of compost 150 ft on saturday morning by 9am or i’m in the doghouse with Jo!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been up near Old Winny Hill and the trails over there are dry ing out well..

thegerminator
    Free Member

just booked accomodation so
    will be there :D,
    if start point and time can
    be confirmed tmrw that would
    be great.
    lightweight rm blizzard or the
    trusty 5 spot?

woodsman
    Free Member

PRK (Pro-Flex Repair Kit) = Araldite! 😉

Have a good one chaps, I’m looking to attempt the ‘big loop’ at TH this Sat.

psychle
    Free Member

Fookin chucking it down in London town right now, has been all morning, guessing it’s fairly miserable along the Downs as well right now? If it’s fine tomorrow, will it dry out OK for Friday do we think?

What to do, what to do…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sunny in Oxford… although was absolutely p-ing it down at about midday.

I just need to get some sleep tonight then I’ll be good for it. RIght now I’m still suffering from a week of over doing it.

Really want to do it though!

Paceman
    Free Member

It’s drying out very nicely on the Downs around Brighton. A bit of light rain this morning, but it’s warm and the breeze is drying the ground very quickly.

piha
    Free Member

Gentle breeze, azure sky and sunny all day in Guildford 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘This Friday 24th June – 'SDW in a Day' – who's in? Roll call!!’ is closed to new replies.