Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Third party disc brake pads?
  • austenb
    Free Member

Any recommendations on third party brake pads. I recently tried Nuke Proof Enduro pads but they only lasted one ride. I don’t mind spending a bit more if they are going to last a reasonable time. I have Formula RX brakes and the original pads have lasted quite well and I would buy these again but nobody seems to have in stock.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use Hope sintered pads and they last ages but obviously, they’re only for Hope brakes. However, I’ve heard very good things about Goodridge pads.

coatesy
    Free Member

Very happy with A2Z in my Hopes, not heard a bad word about them from anybody.

Northwind

Superstar kevlar have proved excellent for me… A happy halfway between organic and sintered. I always say the same thing but it’s a good example, I took a pair down the world cup dh route at fort william on the hemlock, basically deathgripping both brakes the entire way down, took me 10 minutes :mrgreen: Not so much as a squeal of protest or a hint of fade, they smelled like they were on fire and the rotors were like a pair of radiators but they just kept working. That’s all I need from a brake really, proper torture testing.

brant
    Free Member

Any recommendations on third party brake pads. I recently tried Nuke Proof Enduro pads but they only lasted one ride.

I’m *AMAZED* at that. I did some work on those pads and they outperformed everything we found. I remember Ed Oxley riding a single set, for a month, when he was guiding in the lakes in August last year (very wet).

Drop me an email. I’d like to send you some more.

gothandy

swissstop – not cheap but just last and last and last.

nickjb
    Free Member

2nd superstar kevlar. Buy a pack of four for the price of one and a half in the LBS.

toys19
    Free Member

third ss kevlar. last ages.

EccentricEllis

If you buy the SS Kevlar, i’ll say one thing. BED THEM IN! Then they’re spot on.

I use Fibrax for most things now, pads are amazing, I did a downhill section that lasted for 10 mins ish at just shy of 48mph according to my GPS, They got friggin’ hot and smelled like crap but they’re still spot on and they look like brand new. (This is a unrealeased pad atm but it’ll be on the market soon!)

Brant’s kit is normally spot on, just remember to bed them in properly and they’ll be good.

postierich
    Free Member

Mmmmm been a user of SS pads for a while and tried the kevlar pads for the first time on a coast to coast that I have just completed in 3 days of riding,even though conditions were harsh did not appreciate pads dissappearing on the crossing of the North Yorks moors in the dark!!
    Will return to SS and see what he says, X2 Hope tech rear 160! original Hope pads in front and are fine x2 M4 mono 180.

Rich

austenb
    Free Member

Thanks for all the recommendations and also to Brant for his offer of some more Nuke Proof ones to try. The problem with the Nuke Proof ones was that the spring ended up bent and top of the rotor. Now I’m not sure if this was because the pad had worn right down and then got bent or it had become bent first and then the pad wore out as it was not being returned away from the rotor. The ride in question was the Tour de Ben Nevis which for anyone that was there will agree was very wet.

Bikerat
    Free Member

I’ve found EBC’s pads to be spot on, Green (organic) Red (Race & DH) Gold (Sintered), i’m using green pads in juicy 5’s and they give more than enough power and are lasting very well, about £10 a pair.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Big fan of the Superstar pads. Been using them all summer (guiding in the Alps).

The Kevlar ones are the best – great power and long life.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Third party disc brake pads?’ is closed to new replies.