Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Thinking of buying a Land Rover, what do I need to look out for.
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I have a open rear cab Landrover (90?) with a date stamp 1975 from my childhood sat on my desk.

Same age as me then!

Tiger6791

Land Rovers are for poor people

Ahem….. are you sure, the Queen has one, and she ain't poor

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ahem….. are you sure, the Queen has one, and she ain't poor

As does pretty much every single major land owner in the UK…

lcj

Dales_rider – Member
    Land Rovers are for poor people

Wrong.

Land Rovers make poor people 😀

But they also make happy people too, because they're awesome 8)

Xan
    Free Member

I have a open rear cab Landrover (90?) with a date stamp 1975 from my childhood sat on my desk.

1975 produced car would have been a Series III. First year of production of a 90/110/130 was 1983 (changed to Defender in 1990, however with it being a model it could be a Series I, Series II, Series IIa or a Series III

I'm sad I know!!

hora
    Free Member

"Made in England by Britains Ltd, 1/32 scale S.W.B Land-rover"

I remember STANDING on it to try and break etc etc etc – and no. Its still in one piece 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

what to look out for, a complete sense of humour failiure, they're quite comon with any car thats passed through british leyland's hands!

'spooney – disilusioned midget owner

cranberry
    Free Member

I remember STANDING on it to try and break etc etc etc – and no. Its still in one piece

You can also do that to the full sized ones, it's lots of fun.

Xan
    Free Member

You can also do that to the full sized ones, it's lots of fun.

I remember standing on my wing cleaning out the gutters on the house. Stopped doing that after I got a paint job and a load on new panels on mine mind you.

Mind you quoting you can stand on it without breaking it is a very risky claim lol. Have you ever seen the rust on some of them??

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

What else can do this on a sunday and drive to work on a Monday? A Nissan Terrano!

Bombproof engine, comfortable. Rear axle has a limited slip diff as standard so very capable off road as standard.

hora
    Free Member

2.7 diesel that is also found in the London taxi!

Thats pindale isn't it? 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Yes, the very top near the quarry entrance. Better 4×4 routes in the Peaks than Pindale though. Photo doesn't show the rear right wheel about 6 inches off the ground though.

And the 2.7 is the same as was used in the London taxi, has the benefit of timing gears in place of a rubber band system. I'd have another one tommorrow.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

That's quite some axle articulation on the Nissan.

Done some crazy greenlaning in our little 4×4 – it may look gay (!) but it has great clearance, great approach and departure angles, a proper low range box and weighs naff all. An 8ft (wife's) board almost fits in it too…!

I only have a photo of it next to the git car though…

hora
    Free Member

The VED on the Terrano though. **** 😯

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

hora – Member
    The VED on the Terrano though. ****

❓ ❓ ❓

I've been out in that wagon with all manner of 4×4 on greenlaning trips, never got stuck, ground clearance perhaps could have been better but I wsan't going to get into lifting it to gain an inch or two under the diff. Was fitted with a PSI powerbox so had a lot of low down torque, although the clutch didn't like that much. Was really sad when Mrs MFL suggested we P/X it for a Ford Fiesta (complicated story…..)

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Now you know one reason why wifey wanted it to go in favour of a £35 VED diesel Fiesta!

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of buying a Land Rover, what do I need to look out for.’ is closed to new replies.