Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Thinking about a Career break?
  • teenrat

Not overly happy in my job at the moment, as well as alot of other unsettling things in 2016. However, it nows appears that a VES (voluntary exit scheme) has been launched as employee numbers need to be reduced. Initial calcs show that i could get ~30K to leave ( well leave on Oct the 31st). My girlfriends job is temporary until march next year, we will have money in the bank from selling our house in a couple of weeks, and unfortunately, our dog isnt going to be with us for much longer. So, we have no resposibilties, no house to look after, no children, and potentially, a free 30K. Plan would be to buy a camper, and travel round until our predetermined budget expires. Hopefully, this would re focus the mind, as things have got a quite ‘unfocused’ recently, and directionless in terms of what we want. We are both in our mid/late thirties and feel like we need a break from the daily grind. Has anyone done this, and did you feel refreshed/re focused as a result? ( as well as having a great experience). I have no worries about getting a job on the return and to me, this plan sounds like a no brainer. How do potential employers look at career breaks? positive or negtive?

qwerty
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/ZXsQAXx_ao0[/video]

nicko74

Do it! I did it a couple of times; first time for a year, second time for three months, and in both cases came back feeling more fulfilled, relaxed and ready to work again. Plus, when are you likely to have the opportunity to do that kind of thing again? If you genuinely think you won’t have difficulties finding a job when you get back, there’s little downside, was my thinking at the time.

A couple of provisos:
    – do plan on keeping some of your savings for when you get back, to cover costs before you find a job/ before your first paycheque.
    – being in a camper just the two of you could be quite full-on – living with someone at home is different from you living on top of each other 24/7. Most people are fine, but it has the potential to cause problems.

squealer
    Free Member

I’ve just done it, 2 weeks into not working after working for 20 years. So far it’s great.

Nothing to offer other than that sorry!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Buy a house and spend the time/money doing it up. You’ll be desperate for a desk job at the end of it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just do it ! I’m 53 and having got a “serious” job at 23 and kids by 25 its one of the things I would love to have done. Yes you can the same when retired but at 65 years old not 25 or 30, not really the same

One thing I would say is its a little risky not owning a property (in general) can you buy another (while you are still working) and then rent it out to cover costs ? Also worth factoring in a 6 month time frame to find work at the end. Obviously if you can earn some pocket money whilst on the road thats the ultimate

TheBrick
    Free Member

Do it. Careers are overrated. If you are fair to good at your job you will be able to slip back in to work, plus the traveling might give you other ideas for work.

Traveling with give you memories for life.

NewRetroTom

Definitely do it.

Make a list of things you want to do on your travels. Keep it flexible, but make sure you are ticking off the things you really wanted to.

Don’t just drift around aimlessly or get stuck in the same place. I think a lot of ski bums end up falling into this trap after parking up for the winter.

prettygreenparrot

Potential employers look at what you’re going to bring to the workplace.

bubs

Doing it at the moment. Future employers will focus on career gaps and so you just have to have a good reason for doing it and be able to explain why it was a good move. Best thing I have done and it has completely remotivated me about my next job.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Do it! I’ve done it twice & now in my mid-fifties I’m doing it again next year,getting the ‘bucket list’ done before I’m to old.
    First time I did it was 1988 & most of my mates thought I was mad,one of my workmates who was nearing the end of his career & had been all over the world in previous jobs said ‘it’s the best thing you’ll ever do’,when I look back all these years later it was definitely one of the better decisions I’ve made.
    In your position I’d have a good think about what you want to do & where you want to go to,you might not not get the opportunity again so make the most of it!

damascus
    Free Member

Have they accepted you for ves? My friend had the same idea but in the end the boss wouldn’t give it him. He was gutted, took early retirement instead.

If you are serious about ves, look at the criteria. Do you fit it. Age, sick record, cost, ability, office cover if you go etc.

Make sure you are in the union.

Good luck.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Thinking about a Career break?’ is closed to new replies.