Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • things to do in/around interlaken
  • chomp
    Free Member

We’re heading to Switzerland in a couple of weeks as part of our hols (will be spending around a week there) and looking for some ideas as to what to do while we’re there.

Got a Jungfrau trip planned but nothing else. Will be 4 of us (2 x adults and 2 boys aged 9 and 7) and we’re all fit and active.

If anyone has been there before at this time of the year and has any advice of things to do or avoid that would be much appreciated.

honeybadgerx

Reichenbach falls near Meiringen (apparently home of the meringue!). Also a nice little gorge walk (on platform-y thing) between Meiringen and Innerkirchen. Go up to Grindlewald and stare at the north face of the Eiger. I’f you’ve got a car I can recommend driving up Grimselpass with a picnic and finding somewhere to stop with amazing views (not hard!).

meeeee
    Free Member

gelmerbahn

http://www.grimselwelt.ch/grimsel-experience/transport-lifts/gelmer-funicular/

and lauterbrunnen valley, trummelbach falls

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-gb/truemmelbach-falls-water-in-a-corset-of-stone.html

If you do the Gelmerbahn funicular, if they still do the return reservation DO IT! (Otherwise you get stuck at the top in the boiling hot sunshine for over an an hour and a half with motorbike leathers on your legs and no suncream on face or arms :()

alimarsh
    Free Member

Trotti Bikes at Grindelwald, essentially scooters with big chunky wheels down a road on the side of a mountain – very good laugh!

ampthill

My memory was that buying the kids a Swiss Rail card was a huge bargain. It got them unlimited travel on everything except Jungfrau. We then payed through the nose for 2 adult passes for 6 days. But with the discount this gave on Jungrau werre worth while

You can then hop on and off trains and cable cars all day. Great fun and you can make every walk just the length you want

The best walk we did was the Eiger trail. Which is more downhill than up

Sancho
    Free Member

Last time I was there was for the Inferno, so we spent the days before in hooters then in a strip club

I can recommend both

chomp
    Free Member

if I can get away from the family I’ll keep that in mind Sancho 🙂

Thanks for the advice so far – we’ve been considering getting rail passes but not yet sure if we will get our moneys worth. Think I need to start a spreadsheet 🙂

jerseychaz

We were there last May – the campsite gave us a card which allowed free bus and train travel in the local area – services are, as you’d expect excellent! River Steamer trip to Brienz and back by train or vice versa. I went Paragliding – expensive but I loved it. +1 for the Trotti bikes at Grindelwald.

beanum

I’ve never done it but it looks like a scream. If you’re heading up to First from Grindelwald to do the Trotti bike descent (check the headset, I’ve seen some shockers..) you should try this too:
    FirstFlyer

ampthill

I have done that Zip wire. It was good but not quite as good as I expected. As your high the main sensation is wind, the ground didn’t go past that fast

I don’t think you can value the rail pass with a spread sheet. The fun is hoping on off and and being spontaneous. As above check your accommodation provider to see what deals they can do

TheGingerOne

Up the valley past Lauterbrunnen is Murren where you can go up to the Piz Gloria – the revolving restaurant used in the James Bond film ‘On Her Majesty’s Secret Service’

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘things to do in/around interlaken’ is closed to new replies.