• This topic has 176 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 177 total)
  • Things other people do that annoy/confuse you
  • HughStew

Driving seems to be a recurring theme, mine is people who drive at 40 on a ntional speed limit road, and stay at 40 when going througha village with a 30mph limit. Driver of Nissan Micra who regularly goes along the Trelleck to Devauden raod please take note. You muppet.

Cougar

Argh, monospeeders.

A near-circular Venn diagram with people who wear hats in cars.

Weasel
    Free Member

I could probably list 50 things but

People who finish reading a newspaper on the train and put it under the seat on the floor, or fling it it in the overhead luggage rack – this is despite the fact there’s a bin by the doors as you exit the train.
    Why people don’t open train windows pretty much from August through to about mid May, I feel the cold but no harm in a bit of fresh air. Likewise South Eastern Railway who normally have the heating on from September through to mid May…
    People who half ar5ed put a seat belt on in the car – just draped over the shoulder
    Smoking and vaping strawberry scented chemicals
    Chuggers who try and stop you in the street with the hello give me handshake trick
    I’ve known people who are genuinely proud they do no exercise and wouldn’t even consider walking up an escalator, they think smoking fags and going to the pub every day is an achievement

sirromj

Confusing:
    People who don’t turn their vehicles engine off when doing so would have no negative consequence for them whatsoever.

Annoying:
    Smokers who exhale stale smoke on entering a building so it lingers around for ages afterwards. Stinks worse than passive smoking. Addmitedley I used to do it, but I’m an ex-smoker now.

People who spit at least twice a minute while standing around outside.

Old people driving like they stole it.

Cougar

People who half ar5ed put a seat belt on in the car – just draped over the shoulder

Does that ever happen?

Smokers who exhale stale smoke on entering a building so it lingers around for ages afterwards. Stinks worse than passive smoking. Addmitedley I used to do it, but I’m an ex-smoker now.

Self-righteous ex-smokers. (-:

Cougar

People who should know better by now having their posts deleted due to deliberate swear filter avoidance.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I didn’t use a swear word.People who cant read others posts carefully.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

People like Cougar who allow words like piss and bullshit on other threads and then block mine.Also ascribing motivations to my actions which are pure fantasy.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I didn’t avoid the swear filter, the swear filter just fails to filter out “bullshit”. 🙂

Rule of thumb, if it’s censored and you avoid the censor you get banned. I learnt the hard way.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

People that don’t understand the concept of ‘merge in turn’.

Pffft – do you even merge bro?

This is a merge in turn….

null

senorj

My missus – keeps on leaving her shoes/bags directly behind the front door and then complains about the noise I make as I struggle to open it fully whilst getting my bike out of the house at daft o bloody clock! She also puts the toilet roll on the wrong way round. ffs.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I think there has been a seperate post on this ..but ..re: toilet roll .
    I’m assuming pulling down from the top and not from underneath is the correct way ? It is in this household anyway..

tjagain

The one that really gets to me is the unneeded overtake when I am on my bike. traffic stacked up at lights 100m away – car overtakes then comes to a halt on the back of the traffic queue. I go sailing past it filtering while the car is stationary. Happens every day.

gauss1777
    Free Member

People who should know better by now having their posts deleted due to deliberate swear filter avoidance.

I still do not fully understand the rules on swearing and I have tried to understand them. (I’m going to regret saying this, as I won’t be able to find the evidence) but it is not uncommon to see moderators break the above rule without comment.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I still do not fully understand the rules on swearing and I have tried to understand them.

It’s fairly easy. The following words are prohibited and will get you banned….

and

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I often get frustrated/confused as to why people hate being wrong/mistaken about plainly factual issues to the point where they double-down/get angry/defensive/even aggressive. I seem always to have thought that ‘being wrong’ was an opportunity to learn. Even saying that – it makes me sound annoying and self-righteous. This annoys me also, as I’m simply 100% being literal. Am probably somewhere on ‘the spectrum’. I understand that it’s an ego-thing with others, but I just don’t ‘get it’ as don’t experience it personally. Such feelings of bruised pride and/or denial seem to be so counterproductive, even to the point of fall-outs, misunderstandings, aggression, wars etc. It’s bloody annoying.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Confusing:
    People who don’t turn their vehicles engine off when doing so would have no negative consequence for them whatsoever.

This baffles me also. There’s a level crossing near me (Starbeck for those who know) and the barrier can be down for quite a while when two trains are arriving. Even though there are signs at the side of the road asking drivers to turn off engines, people rarely do.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I still do not fully understand the rules on swearing and I have tried to understand them.

It’s fairly easy. The following words are prohibited and will get you banned….

and

Oh FFS I’m so stupid

Cougar

I’m assuming pulling down from the top and not from underneath is the correct way ?

Yes. To settle any arguments, buy the “puppies on a roll” Andrex.

I still do not fully understand the rules on swearing and I have tried to understand them. (I’m going to regret saying this, as I won’t be able to find the evidence) but it is not uncommon to see moderators break the above rule without comment.

Put simply, the swear filter is a blunt instrument, it will edit out any exact matches it finds in a fairly short wordlist. “Swear filter avoidance” is deliberately misspelling words to get around this.

Say for instance, “Piers Morgan” was in the swear filter. Posting going “that Pi3rs M0rgan is a right ****,” whilst factually correct would be swear filter avoidance.

If simple words don’t get caught, it’s safe to assume that they’re fine to use. Shit, piss and so forth. Complex words and compound swearing will get through as there’s no pattern matching enabled (google “the Scunthorpe problem” for further reading) and it’s impossible to predict people’s impressive swearing creativity (hypothetically, were we to block “shit,” someone will come along with “thunderingshitwomble”). There’s little we can do about that other than ask that you don’t do it and manually have to clean up after people if they do.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Andrex? ..naaah ..Costco’s Kirkland brand ( triple ply ) blows that out of the water ..softer and also wider ( not that I have a particularly wide bum though!)

gauss1777
    Free Member

Put simply, the swear filter is a blunt instrument, it will edit out any exact matches it finds in a fairly short wordlist. “Swear filter avoidance” is deliberately misspelling words to get around this.

I have no need to swear, so I’m not overly troubled. But, I do not understand how FFS is any better than ‘for **** sake’, or for ‘for Fuchs sake’ any worse.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The one that really gets to me is the unneeded overtake when I am in my car traffic stacked up at lights 100m away – car overtakes then comes to a halt on the back of the traffic queue. I roll up behind it, while the car in front is stationary. Happens every day.

FIFM

Truck drivers who pull out into the right lane on dual carriageways when doing 56.1111113 miles an hour to overtake a truck doing 56.1111112 miles an hour. And whilst pulling out, they see a line of cars overtaking the said trucks but simply pull out regardless forcing emergency braking and almost a trail of carnage behind them.

And yes, you are on dash cam and I have reported you…

Tosser

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

People that get annoyed by trivial things used to annoy me until I realised that doing the things they hate gives me super powers.

Thanks for the heads up all.

BillMC

People who switch lane from the right-hand to straight-on to dodge the queue at the Medlock St/Whitworth St lights in Manchester plus people who dodge into queues on motorway exits. The lights go green and air turns purple.
    People who use art galleries for a more sophisticated class of selfie.
    People who try to avoid their round.
    ‘Outraged’ of Tunbridge Wells.

hols2
    Free Member

I realised that doing the things they hate gives me super powers.

I’m irritated just thinking about that.

handybar
    Free Member

Noisiness. Like the people near where I live, it’s as if they are allergic to quiet, especially on a sunny day like today.
    So far I’ve heard:
    – next door neighbour revving up his motorbike (he never uses it) for half an hour,
    – two doors away neighbour decides to hit something in his garden with a big stick for an hour
    – other next door neighbour decides to go out in the garden and have a shouting match with his daughter for 15 minutes
    – went to a coffee shop for a break from it, two ladies walk in and have a conversation at the top of their voices about their kids for 20 minutes!
    Yes, I appreciate I am turning into Victor Medrew! I’ve invested in a pair of noise cancelling headphones like the builders use on site.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve been ‘reminded’ a few times. It’s pretty easy. Type what you what to say, if you use a word they’d rather you didn’t they’ll **** change it to something else.

However, if you attempt to circumvent the filter by using txt speak or otherwise swap characters etc they get very upset about it. Some swears are allowed, some not.

gauss1777
    Free Member

However, if you attempt to circumvent the filter by using txt speak or otherwise swap characters etc they get very upset about it. Some swears are allowed, some not.

Sounds easy, but ‘they’ don’t adhere to their own rules, which can seem harsh on others.

tjagain

I do not see the mods avoiding the swear filter at all – just using words that are not in it.

Mister-P
    Free Member

So you can say balls but not bollocks?

EDIT – turns out you can say either

tjagain

Dare I try a few swearwords to see what happens? Errmmm nope. I remain on my shoogly peg and am feart 😉

gauss1777
    Free Member

I do not see the mods avoiding the swear filter at all – just using words that are not in it.

One of us is recalling incorrectly, it may not be me.

mattyfez

Cougar

I’ve never even met your mother.

Cougar

The problem, as ably demonstrated here, is there will always be people trying their damnedest to push the envelope of exactly what they can get away with. Give an inch and some people take a parsec.

The swear filter exists as a crude way of preventing the place turning into, well, Mumsnet. The site’s target audience is different, there’s no age limit I’m aware of for membership (unlike Mumsnet where, well, the clue is in the name, there hopefully shouldn’t be may 12-year old mothers on there), and it’s a commercial venture. A degree of decorum is expected, you might call each other **** down at the pub but you wouldn’t do it over Sunday lunch (unless you’re Glaswegian). We’re supposed to be welcoming and inclusive.

Personally I swear like a trouper and I find it weird that a jumble of letters in a certain order can be problematic, I don’t get how “can’t” is a word in common parlance but swap the ‘a’ for a ‘u’ and it’s suddenly one of the most vulgar swears out there. But, here we are, not my language and not my website.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

People that get really excited about football during a world cup. I love football and could talk about it all day, don’t give me “your opinion” on what happened. I watched the same coverage so I know you have just repeated what the experts have said.

While I’m getting grumpy about modern football. The stats that Sky Sports and the like take so much time analysing are mostly irrelevant. A team can have 90% of the possession and have 30 shots on target but it means bugger all if they can’t get the ball in the net. You get no points for shots on target or possession. You get points by winning games which means scoring goals and defending better than the opposition can attack. Instead they should show us the clips of Policemen having their helmets / hats knocked off or stewards getting hit by the ball, the linesman (assistant ref) tripping over and any other incident that gets a great cheer from the fans at the game.

I’m glad the 3D phase has passed, I got sick of trying to explain to the Sky sales people in shopping centres that the most authentic experience is not achieved by sitting on my sofa wearing daft glasses after being told that it’s better than being there because it was in HD 3D. I pointed out that when I go to watch football it’s always in HD 3D with the added benefit of real atmosphere, hot pies and the collective excitement and anger of being in a crowd of people who all want the same thing. The experience of watching the the Champions League on the best TV is nothing compared to going to a game even in the lower leagues.

That feels better!

bruneep

what about french connection uk. **** ?

but it’s a brand logo not a swear word

aP
    Free Member

Can we have that swear filter word replacement thing that used to substitute ‘I have nothing of interest to say’ for certain words and phrases back again please?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

What about “frack”?

You goddamn fracking cylons!

Is that swear filter avoidance?

Fracking frackity frack frack frack

matt_outandabout

People who don’t pick up thier dog’s 💩

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Things other people do that annoy/confuse you’ is closed to new replies.