• This topic has 49 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mos.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • The worst shape of my life…. (flabby Brummie content…)
  • keithb

Christ 85kg is what I wish for! I’m over 100kg at the moment, and trying to be sensible as that will in itself have massive benefits, but the last couple of years have been tough/stressful, and have really ingrained some bad habits.

Fyi I find riding more helps. Not so much for the calories, but a reminder as to why I need to do it!

Radioman

One thing that helped me was adding a bit of weight training to my fitness routine. Weight training burns loads of calories and doesn’t take long like cycling and can be done at home if you have space.

I ride twice a week but the weight (excess fat) I gained during the pandemic wasn’t really coming off enough despite trying to improve my diet. I started weight training a few months ago and it’s really made a big difference. I tend to do two or three short weight training sessions per week in between rides. I’m careful with exercise form and don’t go mad with weight.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all, have signed back up to the STW Summer Chub Club again for the extra bit of motivation.

intheborders
    Free Member

A low of 63kg and fit implies someone 5’6″ – is this incorrect?

dirkpitt74

@intheborders I’m 5’9 & 3/4″

sobriety
    Free Member

I’m down to 90ish kgs now, so trending in the right direction, having showers at work means I’ve been upping my commute milage from the 2 miles each way direct route, now at 7.5 miles of hill reps to work, and about to go to 5 miles for the homeward leg.

alpin
    Free Member

I’ve skipped breakfast most days for the past few years. Two or three times a week I’ll eat a decent meal around midday and then nothing until the evening. However, often I’ll have something small and only eat in the evening.

I find that if I do eat breakfast then I’m really hungry an hour or so later.

Tbh, my stomach is now used to being mostly empty during the day.

I ride 12km to the workshop most days, extending the ride home if the weather and time allows.

A few years back I was 79kg (5’7″). Now around 67/8kg.

Now this will sound like an oxymoron to most, but I find havibg a toke helps suppress the hunger pains.

However, I’ll still often have three or four beers during the day, I’ll often eat a bar of chocolate with a few glasses of wine or a pack of biscuits dunked in my tea most evenings.

I’ve got no self control, so simply denying myself food in the morning and at lunch is the easiest way for me to not get fat.

I’ve dropped 15kgs in a year from 95kg (15st) to 80.7 (12st 10lb). At 6ft and doing a fair bit of gym work (all weights, no cardio) this is about right for me. There’s still a little bit of belly fat that could go, but it’s not noticeable when I’m stood up. Physique is probably the best it’s ever been to the point where people comment – a year ago or so, my mates were calling me fatty

I do go up and down quite easily – eat crap and don’t get much exercise the weight goes up, sort my diet and move around and I lose it fairly easily.

I cut out fast food – we have the odd takeaway, but usually a chicken kebab, or the odd meal out, but if it’s not regular, it doesn’t seem to make an impact. Bacon butties and most processed meat have gone.

Working away from home and on the road, I don’t get much chance for planned meal prep (a bit easier when I’m in the caravan), but garages seem to have a bit more choice these days if you find the right one and can usually pick up something like this – tasty and filling

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/m73820]2022-05-10_01-33-48[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

I’m not a big fan of huge plates and can go without food quite easily. I’ll tend to eat little and often. Sometimes I’ll have breakfast, sometimes not – usually go to the gym on an empty stomach (always coffee though) and have a tin of tuna or some chicken when I’ve finished. If I do have breakfast, it will be muesli, or a couple of times a week, mackerel in spicy tomato sauce on a couple of slices of small seeded batch.

I find it easy to cut carbs out – I don’t go totally carb neutral, but don’t have much pasta, bread or spuds. Typically, I’ll eat chicken (breast with skin off) salads, fish, legumes, nuts and fruit. I don’t eat late in the evening and rarely have an actual evening meal – fuel the body when it’s needed and you’re active, no point doing it when you are sedentary

I do drink, but obviously when I cut down, this helps even more – do tend to get more hungry when I’m off the booze though

dirkpitt74

So 4 weeks in – how am I doing?

Well I’m 4kg’s down!

Had a rubbish week this week and not actually lost anything, but not put anything on which is more importanterer…..

Dodgy progress photos below:

Spoiler:

Feeling good about the weight loss and also getting back out on the bike after waiting 2 weeks since my last round of cortisone injections in my hand.

mos

Well done, you’re doing better than me, thats for sure.
    Some things i’ve found which help me are;
    1) Alcohol, I love a beer but it affects my sleep something terrible so i’m trying to reduce the quantity.
    2) Sleep, i always feel ,more prone to snacking when i’ve had a crap nights sleep or insufficient, it somehow makes the urges to eat sugary rubbish a lot stronger.
    3) The familiarity of being hungry, i used to constantly eat to prevent myself feeling hungry, as opposed to getting hungry & accepting i’d have to wait another hour before i eat something.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.