• This topic has 94 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • The whole Lopes Kabush podium punch thing!!!
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

People who don’t know who John Tomac is need to have a quiet word (and a google image/info search) with themselves.

AlexSimon

‘cos it’s Brian freakin’ LOPES!

Exactly! (although now he’s signed to Ellsworth, the shine has gone a little 🙂 )

martinhutch

Jason McRoy though i have genuinely never heard of!

England opener. Have a word with yourself.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think i see a problem gere.

McRoy died when i was 11.

You lot are old.

edlong
    Free Member

Is it just me finding it ironic how many people are getting hot under the collar on this thread, given the subject matter?

Is there a rule I’ve missed that if you enjoy mountain biking you have to avidly follow, and have followed, all the various styles of cycle competition, over some years? Is there a test or something? Is this going to be in the written part of the cycling test for the licence that the readership of the Daily Mail thing we should all have before we’re allowed to ride on roads?

What genres of cycling do you follow then??? Inter-county cycle polo?

Is it really inconceivable that someone could have an enthusiasm and interest in riding mountain bikes without any particular enthusiasm for, or knowledge of, any form of bike racing / competition whatsoever?

People who don’t know who John Tomac is need to have a quiet word (and a google image/info search) with themselves.

Genuinely, why? As it happens, I do know who he is, probably not in as much detail as many here, but in general terms. But I can honestly say I don’t think that knowledge has ever had the slightest impact on any aspect of my life, cycling or otherwise. Will knowing that he was part of the winning team in the USCF National Team Time Trial Championship in 1989 make me ride better or my bike perform better, or make any difference to me at all, in any circumstance, ever? No.

You lot who seem to think an encyclopedic knowledge of the history of off road bicycling competition is required to be able to enjoy mountain biking and contribute to a mountain biking forum could maybe chill out a bit and get a sense of perspective.

scotroutes

newrobdob – Member

He won some bike races apparently, “retiring” almost 20 years ago.

But what has he ever done on grit?

Is it just me finding it ironic how many people are getting hot under the collar on this thread, given the subject matter?

Is anyone getting hot under the collar? I thought it was all light-hearted. At least no one has threatened to punch me. Yet.

lunge

To be fair, there may well be a generational thing going on here, McRoy was the rider who I wanted to be when I grew up, hence I’m always suprised when people don’t know of him. It also means that I still think Dirt is the greatest MTB film ever released.

prawny

joshvegas – Member
    I think i see a problem gere.
    You lot are old.

JMC died when I was 12 and I still remember him. Bloomin newbies 😉

Met his mom and dad too at the bike show. I’ve got a T Shirt with a pic of him at the Kamikaze signed by almost everyone from the mid-late 90’s MTB scene.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m with Lopes, but it’s not a big issue.

I really hate it when people assume because they’re in a silly mood you HAVE to be too or you’re a dick.

I’m fairly sure I would have done the same thing, a bit of wine on your head isn’t going to kill you, but neither is a punch to the chest.

scruff
    Free Member

There will be some footage somewhere of lopes boosting a triple in a 4x final (fort bill?), He was an amazing rider, still good no doubt. Amazing riders can still be dicks, both of them.

martinhutch

But what has he ever done on grit?

😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ah now see…

I’m aware of a JMC and I’ve heard of dirt.

And i know Missy wears a skirt

legend
    Free Member

edlong – Member
    Is it really inconceivable that someone could have an enthusiasm and interest in riding mountain bikes without any particular enthusiasm for, or knowledge of, any form of bike racing / competition whatsoever?

Nope, but you know a thread is going full STW when folk make a point of chiming in just to point out that they have “no idea who that is”. This applies to all sport/music/film/whatever threads

AlexSimon

Reminds me of Edvald Boasson Hagen – he came from cross country skiiing and when he started winning time trials, sprints, classics and stage races at only 21 earned the nickname Eddie the Boss – he’d heard he name Eddy Merckx but didn’t really know who he was. Never heard of Sean Kelly either.
    Doesn’t seem to have stopped him 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Nope, but you know a thread is going full STW when folk make a point of chiming in just to point out that they have “no idea who that is”. This applies to all sport/music/film/whatever threads

Exactly.

It’s not all about you grumpy middle-aged gravel botherers.

joshvegas
    Free Member

To be fair to me I genuinely did say it to try and show i was judging the video on that video not on preconceptions of them.

After that however i was being a trolling pillock.

lunge

I think Froome was not unlike EBH in that regard.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Was i right about tomac and drop bars though?

aracer
    Free Member

John Tomac? Didn’t he design some bikes for PX, so presumably he’s a niche industry insider like Brant?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And i know Missy wears a skirt dried pirrana and prison uniform*

*may have been released now.

AlexSimon

lunge – Member

I think Froome was not unlike EBH in that regard. Who?

🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Exactly.

It’s not all about you grumpy middle-aged gravel botherers.

Except its he middle-aged who appear to be representing the hip young thangs twatting about on a staged podium as heros?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Is anyone getting hot under the collar? I thought it was all light-hearted.

It is, just having a laugh on a Friday morning.
    Sort of.
    John Tomac ffs! 😯

legend
    Free Member

joshvegas – Member

Was i right about tomac and drop bars though?

Miles off. It was Tioga disc wheels and drop bars – noob 🙄

teasel
    Free Member

I thought it was all light-hearted.

You speak write for yourself!

That bloke up there in Martin Hutch’s post with the red face – dunno who he is but I look like him right now…

chakaping
    Free Member

Except its he middle-aged who appear to be representing the hip young thangs twatting about on a staged podium as heros?

Come again?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m not middle aged.

It appears to be mainly middle aged people defending the reputation of some other middle aged people.

I do have a gravel bike so I’ll concede you’re half right.

😀

Stevet1
    Free Member

If you call me middle aged again I’m going to punch you in the face (unlikely).

joshvegas
    Free Member

Chest. Christ you can’t even get that right grandad

scotroutes

😀 [/quote]

Thank you. I was afraid the reference might be misconstrued due to recent cycling trends!

mehr
    Free Member

Its a shame Lopes doesn’t have any gnarly xc Strava rides up, more people would probably recognise him then

joshvegas
    Free Member

teasel – Member
    I thought it was all light-hearted.
    You speak write for yourself!

That bloke up there in Martin Hutch’s post with the red face – dunno who he is but I look like him right now…

You don’t kniw who Ronnie Pickering is? GTFO

teasel
    Free Member

🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not middle aged.

It appears to be mainly middle aged people defending the reputation of some other middle aged people.

I do have a gravel bike so I’ll concede you’re half right.

Ah, gotcha. Fair point but I wasn’t thinking of you so much.

martinhutch

Never mind Lopes, can’t believe so few people have heard of Kabush.

It’s almost like the first verse of Wuthering Heights was written about this legendary encounter.

joshvegas
    Free Member

mehr – Member
    Its a shame Lopes doesn’t have any gnarly xc Strava rides up, more people would probably recognise him then

Why is he good a drawing GPS cocks?

chamley
    Free Member

I grew up thinking Blopes was a mtb legend. That was until I met him…

Me and some mates helped out with track building at the first fort bill world cup, mostly with the 4X. After the 4X race, we were winding down in the hotel bar. And so was Brian and Wade Bootes and some other crew. It was pretty quiet as at that time, most of the other riders were also doing the DH on the Sunday. Brian and his buddies were playing poker but instead of money, they were gambling for press-ups. We all ended up chatting about the race etc and then Brian had to do some press-ups… We made the mistake of taking the micky out him barely bending his arms. “That’s pathetic Brian, come on get your nose on the floor!”, his mates join, all a bit of light hearted messing around. At this point, Brian decided to jump up and grab me by the neck and press my face into the carpet “why don’t you get your nose on the floor!”. Cue everyone telling Brian to calm down etc. We all go our separate ways, everyone a bit bummed out.

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt at the time but every story that has followed has confirmed he’s just not a very nice person

DezB
    Free Member

Oh right, so his MTB legend status has been revoked. No wonder people haven’t heard of him.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Heard of who?

stumpy01

joshvegas – Member

Heard of who?

RONNIE PICKERING……..!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘The whole Lopes Kabush podium punch thing!!!’ is closed to new replies.