Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • The who lies to their Partner/wife thread?
  • DrP

The truth is what they want to hear…
    “how much was that disc brake?”
    “how much do you think it was dear?”
    “About £15?”
    “yeah, about that……”

🙂

DrP

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

To be honest I thought you were a bit of a nobber when we corresponded by email re your iphone 4 that you wanted to sell, then you didn’t, then you did, then you didn’t, then you disappeared completely.

This thread has confirmed it.

BB

M6TTF
    Free Member

I always knock a bit of the purchase cost – it’s an unwritten rule isn’t it?

Euro
    Free Member

I know a fella who ordered a snazzy frame from the states. Got the factory to custom colour match his old frame so his wife wouldn’t notice.

stew1982
    Free Member

M6TTF has hit the nail on the head! Mrs Stew & I have an understanding, I/she says it only cost £xx and the other thinks £xx my arse! But as long as there’s money in the pot neither really cares – it’s more of a future bargaining tool should she/I think something for the house or us is required! – we all know that sky3D is means a new TV is essential! 😉

higgo
    Free Member

Liar or partner.

yunki
    Free Member

don’t need to/want to/have the scope to lie to my other half.. we both know what we’ve got coming in and going out… If I need a new part cos it’s replacing a knackered one.. then I will buy the best we can realistically afford at the time..

If I just want a new part then it gets popped onto the endless list of stuff we want on a low priority til such time as we are in a position to treat ourselves..

now where’s that lottery ticket…

emac65
    Free Member

I never lie to the wife.I’d have to start speaking to her again to do that…..

stevede
    Free Member

Blimey, i though this was going to be a light hearted thread! Better go and tell the missus that 8 years of marriage has been a waste of time if i can’t tell the truth about bike purchases. Made up for all you judgemental posters with perfect marriages.
    I could probably get away with the majority of my purchases but as my wife’s not a rider she doesn’t get spending loads of money on forks etc.
    I never really mention how much and she doesn’t tend to ask, if she answers the door before me to the postie then i’ll show her what i’ve bought but thats about it. We can afford it so its not really an issue but i can’t be bothered with the did you really need that or why comments.
    Most recently i’ve fitted a 2nd hand pair of 36’s to my five without her batting an eyelid – the advantage of having a non riding partner lol! Dishonest – maybe, untrustworthy – probably, bothered – no, lock me up and throw away the key.
    Women have been doing this to us for years with clothes,shoes etc, it all works out about right i reckon.

yunki
    Free Member

Most recently i’ve fitted a 2nd hand pair of 36’s to my five without her batting an eyelid

I misread that as

most recently I’ve fitted a 2nd pair of 36’s to my wife without her batting an eyelid..

that’s a whole different thread surely?

emac65
    Free Member

Probably the first sensible(in that it’s not) answer on this thread off Steve.As for the rest of you with your “perfect marriages”,you lot sound like a right good laugh…. 🙄

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

My wife knows how much things cost because she isnt stupid.

Keva
    Free Member

why lie about anything ? what’s up, scared or something ?

stevede
    Free Member

More fool you for marrying an intelligent one! Intelligence wasn’t on the list of requirements when i was looking for a future partner, i find intelligent women a dangerous species 😀

brakes
    Free Member

all of you who lie and think they don’t know the truth, they do, but they don’t let on because they have their own little lies…
    women aren’t called foxy just because they’re ‘foxy’, it’s because they’re conniving, bin-searching, shoe-eating vermin

stevede
    Free Member

brakes – lol too true!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I couldn’t imagine anything less attractive than being unintelligent.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

If you treat it like a points system, then i’ve got quite a bit of breathing room… My fiancée has a collection of handbags that would give Paris Hilton a scare, and she just got a horse! Shame i’m too broke right now to exploit that opportunity!

PS. I havent asked what she spends, and I really don’t care…

DrP

I Think the thing being mixed up here is the difference between a little creative writing WRT the cost of some (agreeably expensive bike bits): ” nah, I’ve had those wheels for ages dear” …
    And withholding some painful, relationship ending baddies: “no, I haven’t been with that prostitute again tonight dear…”

If they both fall into the same category, maybe us fibbers aren’t the ones with marriages to worry about….!

DrP

Drac

If the Mrs ask I tell her, if she doesn’t then I don’t simple. I don’t lie and she went to school with our current postie who comments to her “looks like more bike bits.”

Bought Manu gadgets and the likes over the years and never lied. She did enquire how much my merino jersey cost though, asked her much she thought. She got the price spot on and declared it was a good price for merino.

yunki
    Free Member

On a related note… I got a lift home with my mates boss the other day.. we passed the bosses house on the way and he noticed his wife carrying a distinctly fishing rod shaped parcel round to the next door neighbours..

apparently.. this is gonna cause mahoosive trouble for his neighbour.. as the 2 x £500 rods were sent to the wrong address on purpose.. to conceal the purchase from a potentially furious spouse..

ebygomm
    Free Member

I am complicit in other people’s lies but have no need to tell my own. Someone we know gets model plane parts sent here instead of his own address so his wife doesn’t find out.

flip
    Free Member

I can’t believe people lie to their partners, surely your relationships can’t be that good.

If i felt i had to lie it would be a non relationship, and for that reason i’d be out..

philconsequence
    Free Member

i love my OH, she completes me as a person, I’d give up everything i hold dear to make her happy… i’d die for her. we’ve got a future planned with each other, we both control our own money, we both split all bills equally. she even files my bank statements away so it’d be pointless hiding stuff from her. we’ve got an incredibly honest relationship.

BUT: when it comes to her birthday and christmas presents i lie every time… if she found out how much i spent on her she’d feel guilty and not enjoy the presents as much. should we split up and waste the past few years together because according to the mighty relationship gods of STW i’m in a dishonest relationship and might as well just end it now?!

The OH works in a workplace where due to the nature of the work, its teams of entirely women… apparently they ALL lie regularly to their husbands constantly about the cost of shoes and clothes, usually taking cash out in advance and putting it towards the purchases so it appears on statements as a lower cost…. so all you guys in “perfect” relationships might want to stop assuming so much as chances are… you’re the only 100% honest one 😉

women are sneaky creatures (her words, not mine) and as long as you love each other, and love each others bad points as well as good.. then its all good 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

she completes me as a person

Wookster

[/quote]Providing the family aren’t wanting for anything, I get free hand to purchase what I fancy. It works both ways I wouldn’t dream of questioning her what on she spends on herself

+1 shes happy really with me getting bits and pieces she rides anyway so knows how much stuff is!!! saying that she was caught off gaurd by the cross bike!!

philconsequence
    Free Member

haha 😀 she’s no mini-me… if i was anything like as neurotic as her i’d have ridden off a cliff years ago, shes f**king mental!

she cant lie/keep secrets though which means i always find out my presents before my birthday/xmas… and she’s crap at presents so where i’d spend 300+ on various things. she’d spend 3 pounds on a new can opener “cos its useful” haha

brakes
    Free Member

for my birthday I once got a toothbrush holder and a book she wanted 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

😀 sounds familiar…. this year i got a marmite cookbook so i could cook more meals for her!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Bianchi boy the last e-mail was me asking for pictures of yours! You never replied after that??????

DrP

I can’t believe people lie to their partners, surely your relationships can’t be that good.

If i felt i had to lie it would be a non relationship, and for that reason i’d be out..

Ha, brilliant!

DrP

brakes
    Free Member

the ultimate is calling her by her mother’s name…

Alex

My word there are some paragons of virtue on here eh? I do wonder sometimes if your average STW’r lives on a planet where life works entirely differently.

My wife is just relieved I’m “better than I was” when we met nearly 15 years ago. Then I’d get paid and just look for the first shop to spend it in, whereas she was one of life’s savers.

I buy too many bike bits/bikes that I don’t “need”.She’s pretty understanding of that, and knows that if it isn’t getting used, it’s getting sold. Do I tell her about everything? No. Does she care? No. Does she get exasperated sometimes? Absolutely. Is our relationship doomed because of this? Probably not.

The word is somewhat grayer than painted on here.

Cougar

I rolled in late the other night.

The OH asked me where I’d been, so I said “well, I went out for a drink after work with the new girl from accounts, one thing led to another and before I knew it we were back at her place having wild, passionate sex like crazed weasels.”

She said, “don’t lie to me you b’stard, you’ve been out on the bike again haven’t you?!”

MentalMickey
    Free Member

It’s true what they say, women really do rule this earth with an iron rod and all/the majority of men are pussywhipped.

Just glad I’m a loser that women don’t want, don’t get any of this hassle, besides, they nag/talk too much anyway. 😮

Self service is so underrated. 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

Reminds me of this joke

emac65
    Free Member

I don’t have to lie to the wife about bike parts but I do anyway because it’s good practice for when I’m 5hagging around & really need to lie….

Bazz

This is amusing me this thread, i have a theory that if i feel the need to downplay how much some thing costs it’s probably because it is too expensive for my budget, i’d like to have a brand new set of RS revelations but i can’t really afford or justify £600 on forks even though i could just put them on the credit card and say it cost what ever i know wouldn’t upset her. That said i’m an incurable fettler and am constantly working on my bikes, and have to explain to the OH that because of me commuting year round by bike that the maintenance is essential and obviously wear and tear will mean that bits need replacing, but it’s cheaper than running a car, which is true, but it does allow me to replace bits on the mountain bike that i broke due to being crap without being questioned as she assumes that they are for the commuting bikes!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its nowt to do with being a paragon of virtue. Its about treating your partner as a partner – with respect and honesty.

Still – I can’t be right – we have only been together 30 yrs and never argue about money.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My missus knows about everything I buy for the bikes. She’s not so disinterested that she doesn’t care what I spend, so whats the point of not telling her.

My mate on the other hand, paid £40 for his inbred frame which was delivered to my missus’ grandmothers house and then the Revelation 426 U-Turns he had off me were only a tenner!

Would be so bad if we didn’t live next door to each other and he leaves bike mags all over the shop in his house.

I’m of the opinion that if you think your partner really hasn’t got a clue what you’re spending / doing with your cash, then you really don’t know whats going on that well – no woman is so daft that they can’t have a casual google of new things that turn up in your shed/garage

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘The who lies to their Partner/wife thread?’ is closed to new replies.