Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 2,058 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Or, you can justify the ‘need’ for more new stuff!

See also MTB to road…..!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bllx, just got in to request frommyounger son to join for Uni pis-up ski trip to Val tomorrow? 60 of them in dorms with varied travel and dodgy conditions. After all ^ feeling stupidly over protective but not keen even though I had hoped to go this week but had to cancel for other reasons 🙁

Bllx, Bllx,Bllx – Mrs THM v anti and I am mixed. Promised March trip instead. Bllx, Bllx, Bllx….

geoffj

Not the best visibility on Cairngorm today

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not the best visibility on Cairngorm today

Ah that’s good conditions for Scotland

grum
    Free Member

Think the touring popularity is partly fashion, also partly driven by the busyness of most resorts. If conditions are good in Scotland on a weekend the lift queues are ludicrous. Many European resorts are not that much better in school holidays.

piemonster

I was up Glenshee yesterday and (having not been since I worked there in err 199x) there were a lot of people on touring gear who frankly having watched them ski I wouldn’t be keen on taking them anywhere with potentially ropey or variable conditions. Anyone comment on why so much touring gear?

I’ll make an “observation”

Piste skiing in Scotland is often a bit….ropey….shall we say.

If you want the best conditions available sometimes a walk will get you there. Ive met quite a few folk who have season passes for Glenshee that simply use the uplift to hitch hike to the edge of the ski area. I’ve no real idea of their abilities, but the general knowledge levels of avi risks seems a bit low. In general they just seem to check recent SAIS posts and go with that without making their own on the spot assessments.

To be absolutely clear, that’s just from a few folk I’ve chatted to. And in. No way representative of the whole!

As Flashy says “fashion” might have something to do with it. Culture might be a better word, as there seems to be a lot of people into touring, well if everybody else is doing it etc etc.

To be absolutely clear, I’ve no real authoritive idea. More a musing.

piemonster

Anyway.

1 sleep to go!

Up yours bawbags.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Touring. People are increasingly bored with crowded resorts and ludicrous ski pass prices, so take one lift to top, hike 2-3 hours and have a blast on deserted slopes. In todays world we all love our “lifestyle” kit so touring is just the same, who cares if 60 years ago a farmer hiked up in hobnail boots, tweed and leather 🙂

doordonot
    Free Member

It makes me shudder each time I think about the amount of OP I used to do on my own. No-one had a clue where I was, all my mates being skiers intent on thrashing down the pistes, whilst I was off in the mountains on my board, exploring.

The comment above about not knowing the avalanche has started is so true. I’ve been caught in two avalanches (Whistler and Davos) I started with no idea the slab was moving with me, quite simply because I was moving with it. In Whistler, it was only when the momentum of the weight of the snow caused it to move faster than me, and pour over my board, that I realised things had gone wrong. In addition, I was trying to stay upright to force the board edge down and carve out the way of the slide, but this was made incredibly difficult because the slab was accelerating away under me, pulling me down the slope with it. I’d spent a few days scoping out a line under one of the chairlifts, then took the early bird lift to get fresh tracks. The powder was light, everything was good and then someone yelled from the chair lift above me, “ride it, ride it” and in my arrogance, thought they were commending my all mountain prowess. What they meant was, ride the avalanche slide. And I’m glad they said that cos I wouldn’t have had a clue what to do!

The other avi was during a pre-dawn jaunt in the back country of Davos, having secured an early lift ride to climb some south facing slopes in order to get to a couloir we’d been looking at on a map. By that stage I was well into my first season, my friend and I had both done avalanche training, were carrying transceivers and probes, were doing snow shoeing ascents to get to places. So we felt reasonably experienced in the way that non-mountain locals usually do. Sitting on the edge of the couloir was memorable. First few turns were jump turns and then straightened out and gunned it for 400 metres or so, to get clear of the chute. At the bottom, turning round to see a relatively bare rock face and after what seemed like minutes, finally spotted the tiny figure of my friend picking his way across it. We earned our turns and a beer that day. Near the end of the season, the friend set off a massive slide which closed the Davos-Klosters link of the mountain rail for a day or so (fortunately no-one was affected). He got a telling off for that from the local authorities.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Out of interest, which slope/chair in Whistler were you on? I can’t think of many that you could get to during ‘fresh tracks’ time that would be likely to slide.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@do, interesting tales and yes the – on your own – bit is very dangerous.

Digby

I can’t think of many that you could get to during ‘fresh tracks’ time that would be likely to slide.

I’m also intrigued by where this happened… if a slide (i.e. not ‘slough’) occurred inbounds [under a lift!] then that means the Ski Patrol hadn’t done their job right. And having done ‘Fresh Tracks’ at Whistler I’d be most surprised as they make you wait and wait until they are 100% happy before they lift the rope.

Even Flute bowl is considered ‘inbounds’ (there used to be an ‘Avalanche gate’ there years ago – dunno if it’s still there)

Having spent a fair amount of time with ‘Pro Patrollers’ I know they take their job and the safety of resort guests incredibly seriously – especially in today’s litigious North America – did you report the slide?

Rio

Aaarrrrggg!!! Why does the BA checkin in Geneva not know what an avalanche rescue pack is – they must see hundreds every day? I can understand the man in their Bangalore call centre not knowing (although he apparently didn’t mark my booking like he said he did), and maybe the LHR security people who made me take it apart on the way out had some excuse, but GVA? I feel a strong complaint coming on.

Digby

Why does the BA checkin in Geneva not know what an avalanche rescue pack is – they must see hundreds every day?

Flying with an ABS or similar still seems to be a minefield … I know people who’ve: had the canisters confiscated at Schipol; have a nightmare at check-in (despite having all the relevant paperwork – as the final decision is the pilots) and some people who now just put the canister in their ski/board bag to avoid the hassle (so it’s probably only a matter of time before their luggage fails to join them at their destination).

The situation seems to be getting worse as security is heightened. However the new ‘fan/battery’ systems supposedly avoid some of grief as you aren’t flying with compressed gas (just lithium batteries)

Rio

The situation seems to be getting worse as security is heightened.

That seems to be the case, although I’d hoped that as they become more common the problems would lessen. Until now some airports and operators have been fairly reliable e.g. LHR, LGW, GVA, Swiss, Lufthansa, BA.

Last year I was given the wrong flight details by a travel operator and managed to give notice I was taking my ABS on a Monarch flight I wasn’t even on. Does make you wonder what the IATA-required prior notification is for.

mrhoppy

Just booked Avoriaz at the end of Feb/March. Taking Hoppy Jr for his 1St proper ski holiday, he’s booked in at the jardin des enfants. A whole house of excitement.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We have had same experience with life jackets, quite varied responses. Always seemed bizarre as plane is full of gas
    lifejackets under every seat but at ieast they known those are CAA certified.

Sui
    Free Member

Quick update on St Anton. First day here had am afternoon out and whilst you can’t see ship all for fog high up, there is plenty of powder to be had and the slopes are in good conditions. It’s snowing still, albeit slightly, due to get bluebird on Monday with a heavy front coming in Wed/Thursday. ned, I’m all in black when you get tilting around offpiste. Beer is flowing (love a decent wheat beer)…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2016/01/16/avalanche-sur-une-piste-fermee-pas-de-blesses

Summary translation – avalanche on a closed black in Serre Che. No one injured, luckily.

Digby

Avalanche in Verbier with sadly two fatalities. 🙁

Of note (in light of recent discussions on here) is that they were skiing in the trees:

http://www.planetski.eu/news/7605

piemonster

Settles into a really very nice apartment in Arc 2000, full of pizza, quick beer then time to sleep ready for tomorrow

Most pleased 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Digby 🙁

Hard to tell from the photos but I think the Verbier avalanche is off the top of Savolere towards Tzmouaz. Off the lift and over the edge throigh the fence/barrier, the avalanche looks to be hard traverse right where it is steep in and above the trees. I know it well and its one of the areas I often go after fresh snow as most of the keen and expert powder hounds go higher. It”s easy to shuttle runs off the chair with fresh lines all day. The other avalanche they mention is a traverse off Tortin, a very well known route.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Stoner I saw on PdS fb that there is a new lift at St Jean d’Alups ? From where to where ?

@pie, more snow coming 🙂

hammerite
    Free Member

Following them which bag discussions a few pages back, I’ve just ordered the Dakine Fall Line Double. Will report back when it arrives.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nice!

I was all set for the DaKine low roller but had a last minute wobble and went for something that looked a little better. I shall report when I’ve received it on Monday. 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’m also intrigued by where this happened… if a slide (i.e. not ‘slough’) occurred inbounds [under a lift!] then that means the Ski Patrol hadn’t done their job right. And having done ‘Fresh Tracks’ at Whistler I’d be most surprised as they make you wait and wait until they are 100% happy before they lift the rope.

I’ve heard of at least one in bounds avalanche on open terrain a few years ago, but they are very rare and as far as I know it wasn’t a big one.

Even Flute bowl is considered ‘inbounds’ (there used to be an ‘Avalanche gate’ there years ago – dunno if it’s still there)

It’s still there but only if you want to go over the musical bumps and into the back country. Flute’s definitely in bounds and they won’t open the Symphony lift without it being good to go.

GrahamS

Yeah the “Surprise Hole” video I posted on the previous page was filmed in the Flute Bowl last year and it was definitely in-bounds.

singletrackmind

For anyone who is considering more off piste skiing / touring / guided days there is a Bleeper , shovel and probe on Ebay for £100 BIN or Best offer.
    Ok so it might not be the best of the best but it 100 x better than nothing and if you see people being swept away in an avalanche then at least you can start a search rather than stand there thinking to yourself ‘I wish I had a transeiver now’

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barryvox-avalanche-transceiver-plus-Burton-Shovel-probe-and-safety-pack-/331755630817?hash=item4d3e2d30e1:g:rMYAAOSwX~dWmjQy

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyone here have a set of Oakley Airbrakes?

Igero have them at what seem like bloody good prices. Some come with a bonus lens as well. And the site has a rather comical “Try it on with webcam” app on there. 🙂

Digby

I’ve heard of at least one in bounds avalanche on open terrain a few years ago

Yeah – apparently there was one in Lizard Bowl – Fernie (about 10 years ago I think) that started outbounds and came inbounds and caught a group of skiers.

I’m not saying they don’t happen – but like you say they are rare and the Patrollers are even more cautious since.

they won’t open the Symphony lift without it being good to go

I remember the long hike out of Flute Bowl! 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@singletrackmind I’m in the market for a basic Avalanche kit , if I spent say 50 quid more , would i get something massively better ? I’ve done my basic Avalanche training and am moving to the mountains so want something half deecent

Digby

I’m in the market for a basic Avalanche kit

I’d advise a bit of caution with old transceivers – there’s been a fair amount of discussion recently about issues with old kit. e.g drifting off 457Mhz; damaged antenna; incompatibility issues with newer digital models.

I’m not saying don’t buy it (the Barryvox 3000 was a well reviewed model) – but it might be worth having the unit checked over

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes I remember a discussion in here about old transceivers I think. By checked over do you mean some sort of calibration ?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

howsyourdad, just flip the question. If you were buried, what would you want your searcher to be using to find you? 10 year old electronics, or something newer?

Digby

By checked over do you mean some sort of calibration

Ten years is about the expected life span for beacons (which is not bad really for electronic equipment)

Most manufacturers offer firmware upgrades etc but this might be limited for older models:

You can do some self checks:

https://www.wildsnow.com/6031/older-beacon-test-how-to/

but ‘torsoinlake’ makes a very good point – is it worth the risk/false sense of security with old kit?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@torso absolutely

Saving money on safety kit is in my opinion a dangerous game. Instead if buying older stuff second hand cut back on something else. This is something I always said with sailing, you won’t be glad to have saved £50 on a life jacket if you’ve gone overboard and it turns out not to work properly. Ditto a beeper, if its not recently tested and certified it would not be for me.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Re risk and ‘old’ equipment ,don’t know , that’s why I asked 🙂 . Appreciate the info that ten years is the expected lifespan .

Ok so that kit is out then. Any other suggestions for a reasonably priced kit ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m at Gatwick. Work trip to Florida.

There’s a lot of people in the lounge who are clearly off skiing.

Bastards. The lot of them!

stevomcd
    Free Member

They stopped making those Burton-branded Barryvox transceivers in 2001 (02 at the latest). After that, they were red with Mammut branding. Just sayin’….

It was a decent transceiver, but range wasn’t great. I still have my old one kicking around as a spare. Got it checked by Barryvox a year or two back and it was fine (although they wanted to reject it because the headphone socket wasn’t working!). Local shop (in France) sent it in for me for a few € – although Facewest (UK importer for Barryvox) didn’t want to know.

£100 is almost worth it for the shovel, probe (both look decent) and inclinometer alone.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Indeed CFH no consideration from some people eh ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 2,058 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season’ is closed to new replies.