Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 2,058 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season
  • singletrackmind

Chalets Direct for out of season abnormal rental periods.
    You place an ad with your requirements and the owners will get back to you if they have any availablity.
    If you cannot get anywhere then book F1 or Etap near the slopes. I have stayed in Annecy and driven up each morning , coffee and a croisant then off we go. Bucket seat to GVA , then rent a car and Etaps are £20ish a night. Good to explore small resorts that tour ops dont bother with.

igm

Yes DD, but will Mrs DD be skiing in her undies, or will you finally have bought her some ski trews?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah, no igm, Mrs DD is coming on the family trip on 30th Jan. The March outing is a sausage party! 😀

wallop

Where are you going on 30th Jan, DD? Might see you at the airport – we’re off to La Plagne! Morzine mid-March this year for us.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We’re headed for Reberty (just up from Les Manures) in the 3V. Flying with Sleazy to Lyon at silly o’clock in the morning of 30th – 0650 IIRC. What time are you guys there? Fancy taking a toddler for the week if we leave him with security? He’s great fun, honestly. No trouble at all. 😮 😆

RobHilton
    Free Member

Snowed in Tirol last night – nice surprise when I woke up, but could do with a lot more…

wallop

Haha! Er, no thanks! 😆 You went there last year, didn’t you? Looks fab.

We will be on the 0600 to GVA. Hadn’t thought of flying to Lyon in winter before – will check that out next time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

New jacket recommendations please!
    Requirements;
    Shell
    Vented
    Removable powder skirt thingy
    Goggle pocket
    Thumb cuffs
    Removable hood
    Black or dark grey, with minimal branding, as I’d like to be able to use it as a jacket in normal life as well

To replace and old Eider Tahoe that’s leaking like a sieve now!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh go on, go on, go on, go on wallop.

Lyon flights stay cheaper for longer than GVA (IME). Can’t remember what we paid but not more than £150 for three of us (excl luggage). It’s similar driving time to 3V from either. (Think similar to La Plagne too actually so could be an option.) Plus they do that nice early flight. Much less options though and return flight means leaving resort at stupid o’clock on the Saturday as well.

piemonster

Ha, nearly posted that question myself Flashy.

Ended up in a shop and bought on the spot. Salomon for me, a brand I seem a bit of a whore for these days.

wallop

That’s really cheap! We paid £250 for two pax including 1 x ski carriage – and I booked them in March last year! 😆

It’d be a much more straightforward transfer to the Tarentaise than from Geneva as well.

I would take him (because he’s so cute) but I don’t think we’d fit him in our hire car…

hammerite
    Free Member

Dainese Grual in black? Can get them for half price on Sportpursuit.

hammerite
    Free Member

And while I’ve mentioned Dainese… I noticed quite a few people wearing back protectors last week (especially kids) – mostly when they had their jackets off at lunch. There was only piste skiing available due to lack of snow and it wasn’t too busy.

Why and what for?

Edukator
    Free Member

Probably the local racers. To reduce spinal injuries as you’d expect. Junior uses one whenever he goes out.

hammerite
    Free Member

These were kids out with their parents. Watched a couple of them, they didn’t look too race ready.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just checked wallop – it was £140 for the three of us (obviously dd does go a little cheaper) not incl bags, so takes it up to £200ish. That was booked in October. IIRC car rental from LYS is a bit cheaper than GVA too. Definitely an option from Bristol. I’d never considered it until I was looking at where Reberty was from GVA last year on Google Maps and thought, “hmmm, Lyon…wonder how much that would be…” It was pricey enough as we booked in Feb for March but still £350 for 2 + 1 + 2 bags for flights booked only 3 weeks before we left. By that stage GVA was £500+++

Bunnyhop

DD – I’d gladly look after Master Darcy for you. I’m unable to ski this year so drop him off. Mrs D. can borrow all my gear if she likes.

Can’t for the life of me work out who the ‘big boned’ chap is 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

4 of us did this Xmas return brizz to Geneva and back for £550 return with one bag for one leg for £36

I’ve booked a Tues/Mon return in early Feb for just £57 return BRS>GVA , an absolute steal.

Even managed a March Saturday to Friday for £85 return.

Given it costs me £75 return wverytime I take the train to London, flying to the alps always looks good vfm

vinnyeh

And then there’s the cost of transfers….

stevomcd
    Free Member

The whole Sainte Foy helicopter thing is being massively over-reported and people are getting very much the wrong impression. Many seem to be under the impression that snow was being brought-in from some glacier or something.

The snow was coming from a stockpile of snow-cannon snow produced by the resort. It was being moved to elsewhere in resort, out of reach of the cannons.

It may well have been 100 trips, but each trip was about 5 seconds.

I think the poor resort/tourist-office people are having a hard time of it. They made a big deal of it in a “look how much effort we’re putting in to make sure you have a great time skiing!” and they’re getting a big, misinformed backlash over it!

Similarly, the request for locals not to ski was just that, a polite suggestion, not any kind of rule. It was intended to reduce over-crowing in one resort where there were limited runs open, not any kind of wide-spread edict.

These things make great stories, but the truth is usually a bit less impressive….

Thankfully, the story now is “Holy &&*&! Look how much snow there is!”. :mrgreen:

Stoner
    Free Member

Transfers €22 e/w

wallop

GVA to Morzine transfer is peanuts.

footflaps

Thankfully, the story now is “Holy &&*&! Look how much snow there is!”

Not quite, there’s a lot compared with last week, but it’s still way less than they’d normally have by this time in the year.

stevomcd
    Free Member

great stories, but the truth is usually a bit less impressive

:mrgreen:

It is puking again right now though… :mrgreen:

wallop

Holy CRAP I’m so excited.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’m heading out in the 16th jan so very pleased to see the forecasts.

I was getting a bit twitchy!

sweaman2
    Free Member

I wear a back protector in resort. I spend a lot of time trying to ski trees and I’m not quite good enough. Some of our friends children spend plenty of time in the terrain park (sweamrs got a set of twin tips for Christmas 😀 )  so it’s also in case I end up in there and partly to set an example. Do personally know one person who was badly injured skiing at Louise which also changed my perspective.

Ironically the only time I’ve been really glad I was wearing it was for a DH mtb crash.

colp

I either wear my Forcefield motorbike back protector or my Leatt MTB full body armour these days. Got 2 dodgy shoulders to look after and I’ve also landed on my back on chunks of ice before (side piste) serious painful.

Alpha1653

Thanks for the replies everyone. We’ve taken on board your suggestions…it looks like we’ve worked out a way of getting transport and accom in France relatively cheaply. However, it’s lift passes and ski hire which is tipping it over into poor VFM at the moment – a full week away is more or less the same price.

piemonster

13 sleeps to two weeks of dangerously out of control high speed hoonery.

Considering having a few boarding lessons this time out, pretty sure I saw touring options at the resort too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

ski hire

Have you looked into brokerage companies? I use snowbrainer.com to arrange my hire and it’s pretty good value.

As for lift passes, well, nothing much you can do about those. The most you can get sometimes is a discount for buying two…but that’ll only be a few Euros at best.

cchris2lou

for ski hire , intersport website is often the cheapest .

ski passes are always expensive . you will struggle to find anywhere with discounted prices .

igm

Flashy – I’ve got a Berghaus Goretex Pro shell in black that I might not be using if you can lower yourself to secondhand (but virtually unused) – SPursuit came calling with silly prices on Sweet Protection. 45″ chest though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

45″ chest though.

Probably gonna be too small.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just for you, DD. 😉

Thanks, IGM, but not really my bag. I have an ill founded, but strangely strong, dislike of Berghaus dating back to the mid-90s!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Your link is bringing up what I think you’d hoped. Wipe the pie off your blackberry before posting again. 😉

[/url]

It was a beautiful day in Colorado yesterday.

Alpha1653

Woohoo! Last minute long weekend away booked: flying late next Thursday to Geneva from Bristol; ski Fri – Mon in Avoriaz; and return late Monday night ready for work on Tuesday.

Whoop whoop! I’m SOOOOOO EXXXCCCCIIITTTEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

stevomcd
    Free Member

I wear a back protector in resort. I spend a lot of time trying to ski trees

Do you ski backwards? 😉

EDIT: And I refuse to allow the term “switch” to be applied to skis. You can have backwards or arsewards.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Not intentionally 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 2,058 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season’ is closed to new replies.