• This topic has 2,363 replies, 165 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,161 through 2,200 (of 2,364 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season
  • igm

Very Mondrian

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Needs a matching bike.

And goggles

And…..

igm

Or just get a big old picture for the wall

Woody
    Free Member

Off to Flaine in 5 days time…have I mentioned that? 😀

Quick question – I fancy some new bindings as my Flows are 8+ years old but do I buy them here or wait until I get there as I’m hoping there will be some bargains about being the last week they are open?

Cheers

GrahamS

I would buy in the UK. Easier to get support if anything goes wrong with them. And you don’t waste valuable slope time in the shops.

Most of the UK board places have got End of Season sales on right now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Most of the UK board places have got End of Season sales on right now.

Yep, very true. Also, given how good the snow is out there at the moment, many of the in-resort stores will be keeping their prices as high as they can for as long as they can!

Woody
    Free Member

I’m a little short of time as I’m working until Thursday late but THESE look like a bargain and in stock at S+R in Gateshead. Maybe a touch freestyle/park orientated (which I’m not) but a decent all-rounder and I’m not looking for something super stiff.

You’re in my neck of the woods GrahamS – any shop recommendations?

THESE too in Darlington…………….hmmmmmm

hammerite
    Free Member

I’d get them from this country too. The end of season sales in resort never seem to be too good and generally only have stuff no one really wants.

Goggles are there……

GrahamS

Well I’ve not bought bindings round this way, so don’t know specifics, but…

The staff in Gateshead Snow+Rock are actually pretty good.

LD Mountain Centre in the toon have a pretty good range of bindings online (including Flow if you must) and they were extremely helpful when I was buying a jacket.
    http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/snowboard-c23/equipment-c89/snowboard-bindings-c111

I’ve never made it to http://cabfive.co.uk or http://www.north-state.co.uk yet – but I get the feeling they are more freestyle oriented and would probably assume I was buying stuff for my children 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

The resort closed on Sunday with some of the best snow of the season. Rando or X-C now then.

GrahamS

Scottish resorts are saying they might be able to stay open till May this year!
    http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/news-12560.html

Woody
    Free Member

I’m considering a change from my flows as I haven’t tried anything else since I became semi-proficient (I use that term loosely as I expect to spend a lot of time on my arse having not been on a board for a few years 🙂

Problem is they are just so comfy and easy to use I’m loathe to change.

GrahamS

I really like my K2 Autos.

The single ratchet strap means they are pretty similar to Flows in terms of quick entry, but they are a more traditional strap system, lighter and more flexi than Flows (at least the last Flows I tried).

Hard to explain how they work so here is a video:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObojFhu9E_c[/video]

The 2013 Auto model is called the “National”.

http://k2snowboarding.com/bindings/national-1213

Woody
    Free Member

I like the idea of those but aren’t they more freestyle orientated?

How did you find them off-piste or hard/icy conditions, if you’ve had an opportunity to try them in those conditions that is ?

GrahamS

Yeah I’ve had them off-piste in pow and on boilerplate and they feel good. (that is my preferred riding, I’d don’t really ride much freestyle)

I’m on the original Autos and my mate runs Auto Evers – they are not super flexy like full-on freestyle stuff (e.g. Ride). They do have a fair bit of lateral side-to-side flex, but they are supportive on heel-to-toe so you can still charge on.

At least that is true of the old Autos. No idea what the National is like as I haven’t seen one yet – but I’d imagine it’ll be similar.

Woody
    Free Member

Cheers Graham I like the sound of them.

Now do I risk ordering online and hope they get here by Friday …. hmmm

GrahamS

Hmm.. I’d try before you buy if you can – everyone’s feet (and boots) are different.
    Snow+Rock might be able to get some in to try on.

Woody
    Free Member

I’ll nip up Friday and see what they’ve got. Cheers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ll nip up Friday and see what they’ve got. Cheers

I’d ring ahead if I was you.

GrahamS

Flashy +1: end of season with limited stock. Definitely ring in advance.

Woody
    Free Member

Had a look on the website and there is very limited stock in my size.

I’ll take the Flows with me and hope I can find a ladder strap over there. If not I’ll just have to buy something.

Lack of spares has definitely put me off another pair of Flows. I’ve tried 5 or 6 shops and not one of them can get me one or help. Not impressed 👿

GrahamS

Want to pop round and borrow my Autos Woody?

I won’t be using them in the next few weeks so you’d be very welcome to try them.
    They are Large size to suit my size 10.5 boots.

Email in profile if you are interested.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Right chaps, in a few weeks I’m doing a taster day thing a Chill Factore with my wife. We’ll be snowboarding, and hopefully we’ll both enjoy it, as we don’t really have a shared hobby.

For years I’ve wanted to do a winter holiday over Christmas so that’s something that we’ve discussed (realistically it’ll be 2014 at the earliest).

What sort of money are we talking for budget but reasonable equipment ie Board, Bag, Bindings,Boots, Helmet, Goggles and whatever clothing would be needed.

I’ve had a read through a fair few pages of this thread, but can’t find much of this info…..reading every page is too much! Ace thread though, some excellent pictures. Stew at it’s best.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tom, skis are way betterer! Don’t be drawn to the dark side….

😉

Helmet – Anything £50 up would work. As long as it fits your head and….
    Goggles – as above. Needs to work with the helmet.
    Gloves – Don’t go cheap on gloves, especially as a noob. Cold hands = No fun.

Now is a good time to be buying, as there are sales on. However, it’s been such a good season, there may not be too much left.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Where are good places to buy? What is the Decathlon stuff like….similar quality to the bike stuff? What brands should I look out for? I’ve heard of Burton, Salamon? and don’t Head do winter sport stuff?

GrahamS

Don’t listen to the Emperor Flashy. Boarding is the one true way. 😀

I’d hold off buying too much till you’ve had your taster days. I know a few people (women particularly I’m afraid) who have an attic full of decent snow gear after they gave up learning.

(the basics really aren’t that hard to learn – but it will involve a fair bit of falling over to start with and some people just don’t like bruises).

Board, bindings and bag are probably the last thing on the list you want to buy. Easy to rent a board+bindings in resort and the cost is offset by not paying for ski carriage on the flights.

After the basics of jackets, goggles, gloves + a helmet (if you want) then your own boots are the most important thing I think – in terms of overall comfort.

No real idea about prices these days but Absolute Snow is a good place to shop: http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/

And if you are buying a lot of kit new from shops then it is worth (one of you) joining Snowboard Club UK which gives discounts at most shops and 10% off at Chill Factore. membership is £15 but it will pay for itself several times over if you are buying gear or riding in fridges a lot.
    http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/

Tom-B
    Free Member

If I’m buying a load of kit for 2 of us in one go from one shop, then I’ll be getting more than 10% discount overall no worries….haggling is the only thing other than playing the guitar that I’m good at!

We won’t be buying anything until after we’ve really got into it.

Cheers for the tips!

hammerite
    Free Member

Decathlon clothing is pretty good quality, not sure you’ll get far with haggling, but worth a try. You can pick up decent kit at TK Maxx too if you keep looking. I tend to just buy stuff I need/don’t need when it appears in a sale.

I too wouldn’t worry too much about buying board and boots (or ski and boots) quite yet – if at all if you only plan on using it once or twice a year. Used to be worthwhile doing when hire kit was questionable & ski/board carriage cheap, but quality of hire kit is generally pretty good nowadays. Boots would be a priority over a board.

Last week was the first time we wished we had our own skis (we have our own boots). We got to resort quite early, so had time to get a good ski in. But it being Easter Sunday the hire shop was shut in the middle of the day (still open morning and evening though) and we missed out. We’re thinking of driving out for our holidays in the future, so buying our own skis may become preferable.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

GrahamS – RE K2 auto bindings. Mrs MeribelMTB has a pair of K2 Agogos this season and she’s not been very impressed with them. They haven’t been very durable and she finds them difficult to get out of.

The snow here in the 3 Valleys is still crazy good. We were hitting knee deep powder yesterday. The 11th of April. Insane. I’d be happy for it to start going soon though so the cols reopen for a bit of road riding and the trails start to clear so I can get the Zesty out.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m thinking that we’ll be driving if we go away-my sister and her boyfriend are big into snowboarding, so we could all go in my car to France or up to Scotland and split the cost.

Also, Chill Factore is just under an hour from mine so I’ll be able to go there quite a lot….teacher, so lots of holidays and nowt to do!

I’m hoping that Mrs B is going to let me book us in for a beginners session this Saturday 🙂

GrahamS

meribelmtb: hmm.. certainly not my experience, or my mate, but we are using the older models. Be a shame if K2 have changed the design as we find them really good. Getting out (for me) is very easy – just one swipe of the ratchet and step out.

That is one of the attractions for me because if you ride in a fridge (or on short Scottish pistes) then you can spend a lot of time strapping in and out of bindings.

Durability has been fine too for us. Admittedly we’re not using them continuously but mine are ~5 years old I think and still look new.

GrahamS

Also, Chill Factore is just under an hour from mine so I’ll be able to go there quite a lot….

Definitely look at SCUK membership then. Fridges are pricey. 10% off slopetime and lessons at Chill Factore will save you a fair bit.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Will do-cheers!

Edukator
    Free Member

Decathlon clothing is pretty good quality

If you like loads of gadgetty things you don’t want or need and unpleasant fabrics.

grum
    Free Member

Tom, skis are way betterer! Don’t be drawn to the dark side….

I can do both reasonably competently – snowboarding through fresh pow is still pretty much the best thing in the world.

shifter
    Free Member

TK Maxx is great for boarding clothes. Top tip when starting out – don’t scrimp on the trousers, you will be sat down a lot.
    Flash is right about gloves and goggles are far better than shades, pop over to eyewearoutlet for some Oakleys in the wacky colours that no-one wants 8)

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve only worn my goggles once this year in 40 odd days skiing.

shifter
    Free Member

You need to up your pace a bit Edukator 😀
    Only 12 for me & goggs every day, each to their own I suppose.

GrahamS

Yep goggles every day for me too.
    Don’t like riding without them – my eyes water too much (contacts) and I like having the extra definition from the lens.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another all day goggle skier here. Black Iridium for the sunshine, Persimmon for the non. Crowbars, as they were the best fit with my helmet. (Both of which were a nice present, thanks to the nice people at Smith and Oakley!)

And then, a nice pair of sunnies (Oakley, natch) in the jacket pocket for lunchtime perving posing.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,161 through 2,200 (of 2,364 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season’ is closed to new replies.