• This topic has 601 replies, 97 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 602 total)
  • The STW Ski and Snowboard thread: 2021-2022 Season
  • grum
    Free Member

Increasingly finding the idea of flying to a ski resort where the glaciers are melting a bit depressing/irresponsible. 🙁 Combine that with Covid stresses and I’m not mad keen to get back to the Alps – used to be one of the main things I looked forward to.

I really want to teach my young lad to ski soon but it might have to be in Scotland.

nbt

Increasingly finding the idea of flying to a ski resort where the glaciers are melting a bit depressing/irresponsible.

Yep, with you on that. We’re driving this year, mostly though becuase we’re doing a 3 week trip. If that works ok I can see future trips will be fortnight by car rather than two one week trips.

Would like to investigate the train but so far the price is not helpful – time wise it’s better than the car but prices wise it certainly isn’t

Fri night train to london
    Overnight hotel near St Pancras
    Early Saturday (8am) Eurostar to Paris and on to the Alps (7pm in Bourg St Maurice with a change at Chambery)

Return is 10am train from BSM, getting into London 18.30 so MIGHT be able to get an onward train back Up North but maybe another overnight – and that’s a SUNDAY train as the Saturday train is not bookable (maybe sold out already? booking window for that week only opened today) so would need an extra night in BSM itself

Total cost for the week before Christmas currently looking about £800 for trains, plus hotel cost, for 2 adults.

grahamt1980

Has anyone used the train to get to the mountains?
    We are thinking of doing a long weekend. Eurostar to Paris or lille, overnight then get an early tgv to the mountains. Then late train back and euros early the next morning.

nbt

Has anyone used the train to get to the mountains?

crossed posts, I’m looking at trains but as I’m not london based a weekend is not feasible

as for doing a weekend – I’ve not personally done the train yet for skiing but but it can be done. I understand that overnght eurostar ski trains will be running agin soon, not sure if this season or next, but only when yuo book with Compagnie des Alpes. they MAY sell off excess seats close to the date, and back in the day I know people would do a one day trip – fri night out to BSM, ski in les arcs, get the same train back sunday night

an alternative might be the overnight sleeper train to Briancon to ski in Serre Chevalier – departs from Gare d’Austerlitz which is walking distance from Gare du Nord. Check Seat61.com for tips. THere are other overnight sleepers to e.g. switzerland that might be suitable too?

grum
    Free Member

I’ve done the train to Bourg St Maurice many years ago but as above the cost is a bit eye-watering, and obviously it isn’t the quickest way. Wasn’t too bad though.

grahamt1980

That was some timing in crossing posts.
    I wasnt sure on the sleeper, but will investigate.
    Am thinking of we can get the last train to Paris nord. It arrives at about 10pm, then an early train from gare du lyon to bourg st maurice gets you there at about midday.
    Will investigate more as we are only 30 mins from st Pancras intl

grahamt1980

Looks like about £600 for 2 people to get from London to bourg by train. Not including an overnight stay in Paris.
    Seems crazy when you compare it to flights, but I’m just not finding the justification for flying to the mountains for a weekend

nbt

I’d recommend checking set61.com for general tips on travelling by train and ski flight free for tips on skiing by train

http://skiflightfree.org/train-travel-alps/

this might be worht looking at too?
    http://www.2thealps.com/skiing-by-train-maps_copy.htm

oldtennisshoes

Historically, what are the chances of anything being open in Scotland over Xmas?

In my experience, slim. I live an hour from Glenshee and I’m the eternal optimist, but unless you get a storm in December there’s no chance.

nbt

d’oh that should be https://www.seat61.com/

Edukator
    Free Member

Another possibility on the train is Argentière/Chamonix which goes from Gare de l’Est just a stone’s throw from Gare du Nord. There are 3/4 changes though to keep you on your toes.

nbt

Interestingly, similar discussions are going on over on Snowheads

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156263&highlight=
    https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156273&highlight=

Here’s a direct link to a readable version to the paywalled telegraph article by Danieal Elkan, “The 15best ski resorts you can access by train”

https://archive.is/m0kAC

as discussed on this thread:
    https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156508&highlight=

nbt

If you speak French (or use a translator, it’s built into google chrome) th ethis article my Le Figaro lists french ski resorts accesible by train / bus

https://www.lefigaro.fr/voyages/montagne/ski-ces-stations-facilement-accessibles-en-train-20211006

TheDTs
    Free Member

A friend did a Briancon / Serre Che trip by train. Was seamless apparently. They did stop in Paris though. We did the adding up and concluded that driving was the better of the various travel options. We do take lots of stuff though so that adds to the saving. (Food and hire) I have done long weekend trips to Three Valleys and Chamonix by car. You need three or four committed people to share the driving. We nearly always drive home in a one-er though. Beat mum and dad back to Bristol once, after dropping off in BSM (train to GVA- BRS by easyJet) I collected them from BRS and took them home! To be fair they did have a nice day out in GVA and a nice lunch while we were driving!

nbt

Remember that thanks to the joys of brexit, you can’t load your car with a weeks worth of meals any more, it i understand the rules correctly, you can’t take food abroad without jumping through hoops

TheDTs
    Free Member

Was always the case with Switzerland too. Never had a problem.
    Edit
    To be fair most of the shopping has been done in France before going up the hill.

tomzo
    Free Member

Any recommendations on where to sell a ski jacket? Looking for a STW classifieds equivalent!

(North Face Descendit Jacket, red/orange, medium… bought in 2020… only used for 1 ski trip and winter in the UK so perfect condition…#stealth ad)

Rockape63
    Free Member

Ebay

TheDTs
    Free Member

Snowheads.

ElShalimo

Has anyone seen any decent non-insulated waterproof ski trousers on sale recently?

I don’t mind fleece lining but not insulated as I get too warm.

graemethejock

I’ve booked a week on a back country explorer course with mcnair snowboarding in Jan at sainte foy. Last time.e I was at the resort was about 20 years ago
    Anyone on here used mcnair snowboarding for a trip?

Cheers

Superficial
    Free Member

Anyone on here used mcnair snowboarding for a trip?

No, but a mate of mine harps on about that guy all the time. He’s been on loads of trips with him and loves it.

EDIT: Actually perhaps I’m thinking of McNab (http://mcnabsnowboarding.com) not McNair ??

toby1

@ElShalimo – The Picture trousers I got before were not insulated, absolute-snow might have something in your size that works?

ElShalimo

thanks @toby1

oldtennisshoes

Has anyone seen any decent non-insulated waterproof ski trousers on sale recently?

I don’t mind fleece lining but not insulated as I get too warm.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2304128

nbt

@elshalimo ski or snowboard? Westbeach do non-insulated trouseers but they’re meant for boarders so they don’t have the reinforced gaiter on the inside of the ankle.

I found that out after I bought a set that was later replaced under warranty for different reason – as a result of which I have some unused size small Upstsart pants in Combat green

Men's Snowboard Pants

ElShalimo

@nbt – for skiing…I’m okayish on the pistes but boarding is well beyond me as it requires balance and bravery

ElShalimo

Thanks @oldtennisshoes<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>t – lots of choice on there, had anyone got Marmot skiing pants?</span>

I’ve not had their ski kit before but happy enough with their outdoor kit

giant_scum
    Free Member

@ElShalimo Decathlon’s Simond waterproof trousers are pretty good value.
    I’ve worn them up here in Scotland in some pretty miserable conditions and they haven’t let me down.
    Plenty warm with just thermals and a pair of shorts.

Simond waterproof

oldtennisshoes

And the snow has arrived in Cervinia

TheDTs
    Free Member

Saw a few pics of VT and Zell am see today. Looking much whiter.
    Also a mate is just securing a place in La Tania for the season so a cheeky lads trip may well be a possibility. He is trying to get a visa for the whole season, not working so may be possible to stay for over 90 days. Fingers crossed.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

We are driving for Half term. This will be my first family trip after a 10 year long break waiting for funds and the family to be at the right point to try it. We have the option of practically free accommodation close to La Cluzas and Le Grand-Bornand. These resorts are pretty low 1300 – 2000 tops with lots of the green and blue runs more like 1300 – 1700. 10 years ago at the end of Feb I wouldn’t have worried about it. I am prepared for it being slushy mid to late afternoon. I understand fully that there are no guarantees. Has anybody been to similar low resorts on the edge of the alps in the last few years at the end of Feb. We will have a car so can travel if necessary.

Mark

We are off to SunPeaks in BC in February for 2 weeks. I’m suffering from carbon anxiety about the flights which is becoming existential. I love my annual snow holidays in BC. I’ve been looking for meaningful ways to properly offset the carbon – which I realise is no where near as actually meaningful as simply not flying, but this holiday is booked and paid for so the question of whether we go to BC in the future is for next year. So, for those of us that are flying this season what’s people’s thoughts on offsetting? I’m looking for something that does something useful and not just some airlines promise to plant a tree bullshit.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m not flying because offsetting is just greenwashing IMHO. It’s a thing dreamed up by companies to justify the unjustifiable. If you want to do something useful then look at investing in low-carbon energy production – preferably directly. Or perhaps look at other elements of your lifestyle where your could make savings that would reduce your own carbon footprint. It’s not cheap or easy but if you live in your own individual home I’d like to bet that with enough insulation, solar panels, heat recovery and a heat pump you could make it energy positive most of the year though perhaps not in December.

We all have a carbon footprint, if we all look at it objectively and do something about the most CO2 heavy aspects of it we can make a difference, collectively, in every country. It’s not going to happen is it.

The alternative is to take the cycnical view that we’re going to exploit and ultimately burn every drop of oil, coal and gas the industries can get at and anything we do individually is utterly futile. Of the two approaches that’s going to be the more likely scenario.

I’ve adopted an approach that doesn’t penalise my lifestyle but has considerably reduced my carbon footprint.

Insulate
    solar thermal
    PV
    Cut off the gas
    Economical appliances
    Electric car
    Buses
    Trains
    Ferries
    Bikes
    Walking

All of those are actually more comfortable and or enjoyable than the high carbon alternatives. Conveniently I hate flying and fly as little as family panics allow. However, one day I’ll fly to Quebec in Winter, one day.

Mark

We have ditched our second car and the one car is electric. We have installed solar panels and insulated our 200 yr old house by drylining the entire house with insulations (No cavity in our rubble filled walls). The Singletrack office has solar panels and we’ve refitted all lights to LED. And we use Ecotricity for elec/gas grid supply. I get the train to work and we’ve now adopted hybrid office working so we are 4days at home 1 in the office.

scruff9252

It looks like the long range forecasts are starting to show promise for the UK this time next week… A lot can change in that time, but fingers crossed some of the Scottish slopes get enough of a covering to allow them to open!

oldtennisshoes

Gone fully leccy on the cars – will probably drop down to 1 when junior leaves home.
    Underfloor insulation and attic insulation maxed out. No commute to work, ditched gas for cooking, fully green leccy tariff (yes I know, but hydro in Scotland can work on the cloudy still days too). Gone virtually vegan – little meat or dairy.
    Still feel conscious of flying – maybe take the leccy car next year.
    Improvement options – cavity wall insulation (still nervous about this), solar panels and ditch the cats 🙁

A lot can change in that time, but fingers crossed some of the Scottish slopes get enough of a covering to allow them to open!
    Nay chance this side of January

scruff9252

‘ll be most interested to hear how the active antenna works, although I’m getting a hefty signal the quality of the fax is still dire due, I’m sure, to poor signal/noise ratio.

Well, sure it’s unlikely. BUT last month I bought a new pair of touring Skis and this morning the postie brought me a new wax iron and some wax. Will you give me this glimmer of hope that I’ll get to use them next week?

Edukator
    Free Member

Sounds like we’re in a similar situation then, Mark. Tackled the things that can be done without suffering but we’re still part of the consumer society, still eat, still wear clothes and buy toys. It’s for each person to decide how far they are prepared to go. I could buy some land and go back to the middle ages but that would be taking it too far. It wasn’t really that hard to knock 60-70% off my carbon footprint but taking it further would be self deprivation for little gain. I am, therefore I pollute.

Some ski related things do leave me drop jawed though, things like one member of a family driving the car out while the others fly in comfort and are picked up at the airport.

nbt

As I said earlier in the thread, our original plan this season was a three week trip to Whistler. With the pandemic that has gone out of the window, but I’ve also reached a point where I’ve decided that taking flights for holidays will be an absolute last resort. This season we’ll be driving down to Ste Foy for a 3 week trip, but future trips could well be by train where possible as I am not a fan of driving

@Mark
    , is the road to Sun Peaks affected by the massive BC stornm? Highway 1 up the Fraser Valley is shut and might well remain so over the whole winter, but you will presumably fly to Kelowna? Getting supplies by freight from Vancover side might be an issue perhaps?

In better news there’s a wonderful temperature inversion in the Tarentaise Valley today

https://www.saintefoy-tarentaise.com/en/live/webcams/

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 602 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.