• This topic has 60 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • The steps of certain death.
  • neilforrow

Burchy – you know where they are… you work just up the hill from them.

I can confirm i have owned them (on my skip/ pub bike)… super rad style. dood.

They arnt that bad… take the pebble gully on the left and you got it dialled.

The set opposite the mill on the exe is the one you want to try. A big gap for anyone who has the balls.

saxabar
    Free Member

@ska-49 – that’s Jacob’s Ladder isn’t it? I’ve seen a mate fall down it after several too many at the Jakes!

stumpy01

Dog Leap Stairs – are they almost opposite a hotel, called Surtees or something. You carry on down the hill & there’s a bridge & a bit further on you end up at the river?

I stayed in that hotel years ago while doing a training course in Newcastle. There was a set of steps there that looked very similar to those pics….

GW
    Free Member

Fleshmarket close in Edinburgh has to be up there, super steep steps, then some greasy slabs, then 2-3 extra high steps (mini drop i’d imagine) then some more greasy slabs and stairs

done them lots of times years ago have done pretty much all the stairs in the old town and there are far more difficult stair sets in other parts of Edinburgh but TBH there’s really not a lot to riding down steps unless they’re in dodgy condition.
    look far old weather battered and falling away steps leading down cliffs to coves if you want a proper challenging set. they’re often steep as **** and require imaginative line choice to clean.

Pyro

McMoonter – done those ones (i think) as part of a Rat Race. They’re “interesting” on a cross bike…

swiss01
    Free Member

i’ve tried this jacob’s ladder but it was beyond my skill level. and i was feart!
    Jacob's Ladder, Oban

warton
    Free Member

stumpy, thats them, yeah

also in newcastle, well Jesmond, the stairs leading to Pets corner, from the top, corner entrance on the jesmond side to jesmond dene are very tasty, I have only cleared by cutting bits out and using the slope next to them, I might have to go and get pics…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

As riding down staircases go this is pretty impressive …

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsSsISnmLQc[/video]

(Although he did miss most of the stairs)

eddie11
    Free Member

Done a few long sets around Newcastle including the ones warton mentions (i’d forgotten) but not dog leap, last time i (walked) down them a year or so ago the top few steps were rocking loose.

Theres a a few around heaton park and a long set off city stadium into ouseburn. They were good as a countryside starved mountainbiker living in a city.

Milkie
    Free Member

Bristol Centre has some nice sets of steps! Most memorable is Christmas steps. We used to go up n down these, when we were young!

plumber
    Free Member

my first attempt at the steps of doom – 30 seconds in

no helmet – ****!

RealMan
    Free Member

The set opposite the mill on the exe is the one you want to try. A big gap for anyone who has the balls.

Gonna have to have a look for them, cheers 🙂

Burchy1
    Free Member

neilforrow – Member

I really don’t! Come on where are they?

RealMan
    Free Member

From St. David’s Hill to Bonhay Road, I think right next to Richmond House.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

HoratioH – that takes nerve and timing to duck into the darkness. Nae helmet too.

Here it is in slo mo

http://bmx.transworld.net/files/2008/12/17/sher_wallride.gif

Pyro – you’re a braver man than me!

theflatboy
    Free Member

here are some a friend and I rode a while back, permanently wet, slippery and very uneven…

Profile view of huge flight of steps we rode! by theflatboy, on Flickr

Massive, slippery, uneven flight of steps by theflatboy, on Flickr

the view looking down is at the top (i.e. the less steep section) by the way!

kaesae
    Free Member

Hahahaha the steps of DDOOOMMM, they sure **** are are.

Best to lower your seats down keep your weight balanced and go in a straight line as much as possible, do not pull the brakes so hard that the wheels lock up and do not go from side to side. If you have a slippy surface the last thing you want to do is lean your weight to the side.

Also you need to have the right attitude, if you are not completely commited do not ride it!

kaesae
    Free Member

There are a lot of good steps in Edinburgh, the best time of the day is first thing in the morning in the summer, unless you have people at the bottom to warn pedestrians it’s a good idea to have a horn or shouting works.

GW have you had a go on the steps up Arthurs seat some reasonably tricky ones up there ❓

neilforrow

Burchy1 – Member

neilforrow – Member

Bottom

julians
    Free Member

There must be a couple of people here that have done the pilgrims steps in Majorca, they lead from cuber reservoir down to soller, the steps themselves are not particularly steep, but theres 2000 of them covering approx 500m vertical descent, with tight switchback corners every 20 meters or so. With a fairly vertical drop off the side . They go on for ever.

GW
    Free Member

Yeah, keasea, used to play up there a lot. Stairs below calton hill leading to cannongate too

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘The steps of certain death.’ is closed to new replies.