Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 310 total)
  • The road disk debacle continues – banned from French Sportives
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Who wants to tell him what David does on here 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Who wants to tell him what David does on here

Give sage advice based on his many years of accumulated cycling wisdom.

Oh, no. Hold on…

garage-dweller

It took me a long while to work it out and I reckon I still misjudge his ‘opinions and factual commentary’ roughly half the time.

No offence meant BTW DT.

IdleJon

This is bad logic.

Yes, it is. I was reacting to hyperbole but then you came along with an even bigger dollop of hyperbole and even worse logic, so I’m out. 😆

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

Meh whatever!!

road disc brakes are for mamil mtbers and muppets who dont know how to ride a road bike properly

nikk
    Free Member

Hey, you are welcome to have a clear and respectful chat about things, like acquaintances would do face to face. I’d be happy to discuss where you believe I am incorrect, so we can reach a better understanding of each others views and experience.

cloudnine
    Free Member

This is great bickering material. Wonder if the pros have a similar trollfest in the peleton during the first few hours of a race.
    “I quite like discs.. Wish they’d hurry up and let us ride them”..
    ” what? Are you some kind of mincing homo mountainbiker”
    “Yep.. Grow your freaking leg hair… And I bet you can’t make it down the next hill without falling off”
    “But, but I can go faster and brake way later than you..”
    “Ha fatty.. Get back to eating cake and pretending sportives are races..”

“But you haven’t even tried them!”

“We don’t need to.. They way you ride there’ll in limbs severed all over the peleton if you are in a crash”

reggiegasket
    Free Member

all the disc haterz will have them in a few years when they realise that it’s better to have good brakes than so-so brakes.

Once you spot that then all this chatter is put in the perspective it deserves.

[a mincing homo mtber]

philjunior
    Free Member

So the question remains – why are the edges of disc brakes not chamfered or rounded?

I had a set of (truly shit) magura one-pot (had to adjust for pad wear at the caliper despite them being hydraulic, woo!) brakes back in the day (they came on a bike).

I’m pretty sure they had chamfered edges on the discs. It wouldn’t be anything like as straightforward for funny shaped discs (wavy edges) though. And with wear, they could perhaps still become sharp (by developing a burr at the edge of where the pad contacts) particularly wavy edge designs. I would imagine this is why people don’t generally bother with chamfered edges.

philjunior
    Free Member

Hmmm just thinking. On a big alpine descent with a shroud around the disc and some careful design, the Meredith effect could give you an advantage out of corners (where the disc is hot):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meredith_effect

Edit – maybe with some thrust reversal for the duration of the actual braking.

Edit 2 – I think if I keep having ideas like this I’m going to have to join the HPVA.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

road disc brakes are for mamil mtbers and muppets who dont know how to ride a road bike properly

hahahaha I’ve haven’t been on here for months…..nothing changes 🙂

Shred
    Free Member

And the Spanish follow suit: http://road.cc/content/news/187652-spain-joins-france-banning-disc-brakes-road-events-including-sportives

With:

Coca told El Periodico that the regulations were “clear, precise and forceful,” and added that the RFEC would seek to send up to six officials to events to ensure that they were complied with.

“The official checks that everything is in order, that a doctor and ambulance are present if an accident happens, that participants who do not belong to the federation have a licence and provisional insurance for the day of the event, that all riders wear a helmet and, from now on, they will be rigorous about equipment and in particular disc brakes.”

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Meanwhile, over here we’ve banned fat bikes. I guess it’s a start…..

Fat Bikes Not Welcome At Fred Whitton Challenge

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Given how far away the disc brakes were to the injured riders I hope they will make sure they have a decent exclusion zone for any disc brakes near races.

brooess
    Free Member

I reckon the EU’s to blame somewhere here – those damn Europeans banning disc brakes and telling us what to do! Vote Brexit if you want to use good old-fashioned British disc brakes 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d be happy with an exclusion zone for Disc Brake riders, I’d offer up they’ll all be at the back shovelling 19gels, 22energy bars & 8 bags of haribos down their gullets whilst spinning up a 4% gradient to the 2 left turn on the course.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sure they will bikebouy, some major insecurity coming out on these threads 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    I’d be happy with an exclusion zone for Disc Brake riders, I’d offer up they’ll all be at the back shovelling 19gels, 22energy bars & 8 bags of haribos down their gullets whilst spinning up a 4% gradient to the 2 left turn on the course.

😀 probably whilst dragging their brakes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thankfully they normally keep thier Sportive number affixed to their bike, even after the event has finished; lets you know to give them a wide berth if you pass them on the roads.

scud
    Free Member

I’ve got a disc Roubaix and if the above is to be believed i can’t ride a bike. funny how same bike has covered 3000 miles this year to date, done the 189 mile Dragon Devil, the 310 mile Newcastle to London, the Paris Roubaix sportive, 200 mile Round Norfolk Epic, and yet to date i’ve not removed any limbs with it or died a horrible death (i do like Haribo) though.

What i can’t understand is this “knee-jerk” reaction and pretty much overnight banning of disc brakes, what is happening about motorbikes at races, the only good thing that could come from the death of a young pro rider is hopefully improved safety around the riders from motorcycles and team cars, yet the reaction doesn’t seem anything like as strong from the UCI and French cycling?

Do we now blunt chainrings, ban bladed spokes and the like too?

dragon
    Free Member

I think most people are misunderstanding the UCI’s view; 2016 was only ever a trial year on discs, then an accident happened that may or may not have been caused by a disc, hence, discs are temporarily banned until the UCI concludes the investigation. I think that is a perfectly sensible approach, they aren’t saying discs will be banned for ever, simply that the trial is on hold until the reports conclusion. Note the UCI haven’t banned discs in mtb or cyclocross races, where they are no known issues.

The sportives which are operated under national federation control and hence, ultimately the UCI, are just upholding the UCI decision to cover their backs for the time being.

mrblobby
    Free Member

dragon, your voice of reason has no place on this thread! I said much the same thing about 3 pages ago 😉

Funny you mention CX though, where the benefits of discs should have a much greater impact on performance than for road, and yet many pro’s don’t seem bothered.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m all for Disc Brakes BTW, the ones on my CX’er work just fine 😆

ooOOoo
    Free Member

With the horror stories I hear about carbon rims in the wet, I am surprised those are legal for use on the Queen’s highways.

chipkorea
    Free Member

Ultimately this should come down to what the riders want and what the authorities want. Both of which take into account what sponsors and the public wants. But mainly taking into account the UCI’s duty of care and the riders’ right to make any demands / requests they want within reason as a group of workers.

I can’t see why anyone should bemoan the suspension of the trial unless you’ve just bought shares in a company that specializes in pro-level disc brakes for road bikes. Seriously, did your viewing pleasure rise when discs turned up and now the races are less enjoyable again?

The UCI’s duty of care is key here.

The idea that discs in the pro peloton – or french sportives – can’t have different levels to discs in enduro or downhill is ludicrous. They might have the same level of risk, but to assume it with no evidence is risky.

We all expect progess, but we all accept that the UCI rules aren’t ‘anything goes’. Tiny weight bikes and funny shaped bikes are banned, because the UCI (rightly IMO) believes that uber light bikes and funny shaped bikes will not improve cycling (for riders or teams or sponsors or spectators) and might make it more dangerous. (I presume this is the reasoning or am I missing something?)

What are the benefits of discs? They’re not going to stop crashes in the peloton, because the riders don’t have the time to react let alone stop half the time. All they can possibly do is reduce braking times off mountains, which means riders will probably end up going faster, braking later and probably having the same number of crashes only at marginally faster speeds.

xyeti
    Free Member

Dragon, You are pissing in the wind, The Motorbike Trial, Chorizo Trial, Spoke gate scandal trial and the brake lever, pedal, seat nose trial ALL take presidence over the Great Disk Brake Trial of 2016 because people cannot understand that these things that are being spouted about are generally accepted at, around or in a Cycle race because they have been part of a bike or at events for Years, these participants “PRO” riders have grown up with Spokes on wheels and pedals and seats and brake levers but are unfamiliar with Disk brakes, They probably see them as MTB cosmetic jewellery, anodized to match your socks or watch.

The change or introduction has probably happened a bit too fast for some, some who are in their last season before retirement, Vocal individuals who can persuade others who want the aesthetics of what they know as a ROAD bike to remain true, Usually in cycling the Pro’s get the good stuff and it trickles down and mass produced which obviously pays for itself R&D, tooling, production etc, with the disk brake thing i feel its been cobbled together a bit too quick and there are some concerns which have been highlighted one way or another,

AND< to further fuel the fire, On a Road section downhill to set of traffic lights to be used on stage 2 of this years TDY i am faster on my 160mm travel 1X11 bike than i am on my Rim Braked road orientated CX Bike, because i can leave it and leave it right up till the last seconds before braking, where as heavy braking on the rims is proper ass puckering stuff as the forks start juddering and the rear wheel tries to wave about…..
    But at least i’ll be killed by a bus at a cross roads before Disk brakes get me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Put some super tacky’s on yer CX bike 😉

chipkorea
    Free Member

And Ryder Hesjedal nailed the whole issue in 4 words. Don’t bother reading my last post.

#SafetyFirst #notnecessary

Really can’t see the flaw in either argument, but used together they are supremely convincing IMHO.

Seriously, should the CI just take a chance and see what happens? Are disc brakes in any way necessary in the pro peloton?

xyeti
    Free Member

DT, That’s not a bad idea :mrgreen:

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

🙂 no excuses for not staying upright then! They’ll be mandatory in Sportives on the continent next season.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

And Ryder Hesjedal nailed the whole issue in 4 words.

was he talking about the motor in his bike?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Are disc brakes in any way necessary in the pro peloton?

No.

Nor were gears, brakes, clipless pedals, etc, etc.

None of it is actually “necessary”, they just represent this crazy thing called progress, you know, things getting better.

chipkorea
    Free Member

What about 5lb bikes and 24″ front wheels and insane carbon frames? They are all progress – do you think the UCI is wrong to ban them?

The UCI is not anti progress (hence allowing gears etc), but it does not simply allow something because it is ‘better’ in some ways whilst not actually benefitting the sport overall.

Motors are progress but don’t benefit the sport. Drugs are arguably ‘progress’ but we don’t allow them either.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

None of it is actually “necessary”, they just represent this crazy thing called progress, you know, things getting better.

what like compact chain sets and 32t cassettes, like actual TDF winners use up some of the big mountains?

your CRAZY!!

anyone know where i can get a 5 speed cassette for my 120mm spaced rear wheel?

kcr
    Free Member

Well, anyone banned from a sportive can enjoy the simple pleasures of Audax with discs instead.

imnotverygood

What about 5lb bikes and 24″ front wheels and insane carbon frames? They are all progress – do you think the UCI is wrong to ban them?

The UCI is not anti progress (hence allowing gears etc), but it does not simply allow something because it is ‘better’ in some ways whilst not actually benefitting the sport overall.

Motors are progress but don’t benefit the sport. Drugs are arguably ‘progress’ but we don’t allow them either.

Which brings us back to the original point. The only ‘evidence’ we have so far that discs may not be good for the sport overall is the rather overwrought tirade from a rider who believes he has an injury caused by a disc, despite there being siginficant doubt as to whether this was actually the case. Other than that there just seems to be a prejudice against them from certain segments of the cycling population.

xyeti
    Free Member

Flasheart, As they are “NOW” or as of The Paris Roubaix, Do you think Disks were as evolved and as refined an item as the Pro’s would have expected? has the rest of the technology in Frame Design and aesthetics got to catch up? or are you happy with them as they are, good to go?

I feel “Me Personally” they are a bit Heath Robison, CX / Gravel meets XC orientated clunky fixings, The Bike industry rushes to get this out there because they know once its on the Pro team bikes “It’s Selling” but actually overlooked some basic errors, Obviously there was a “trial” being conducted and no doubt some changes were or are to be made

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

kcr – Member
    Well, anyone banned from a sportive can enjoy the simple pleasures of Audax with discs instead.

Can I race an Audax? Will I get a medal for finishing under a certain time?

mrblobby
    Free Member

We going again? 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

aesthetics

Grown men. In lycra. And you think aesthetics matter?

I feel “Me Personally” they are a bit Heath Robison [sic]….The Bike industry rushes to get this out there because they know once its on the Pro team bikes “It’s Selling”

I take it you never tried any early clipless pedals? They were awful, unsafe rubbish. Still, they didn’t ruin the classic lines so popular among people who grasp at “tradition” and say bidon instead of bottle.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 310 total)

The topic ‘The road disk debacle continues – banned from French Sportives’ is closed to new replies.